Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:20 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times

Advertisements

I find this info from his bio interesting and quite the opposite of what he is spouting

"Interests
kindness, compassion, understanding, human development, human migration, astronomy, gardening, haplogroups"

Anyway, good luck to the OP. You need to do what you think is best. I'd contact an attorney first to see exactly what the law is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 04:35 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,864 times
Definitely two different people...

Old 01-05-2011, 08:09 PM

31 posts, read 73,630 times
My opinion on this photo enforced ticket laws, I for it. I do totally agreee beccause it will show proof that you were speeding for one and show guilt. But also to show that whose driving the car. My brother was driving my car and got caught but it was sent to me. I got off of it becuase that was not me driving the car but brother and he recived the ticket instead. but thats my 2 cents.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,327 times
I don't know the legality of the mobile cameras. I received a speeding ticket from one a few years ago and initially felt the same sense of injustice and violation that you and your girlfriend seem to feel. But I was indeed speeding, so I paid the fine. Everyone has a right to dispute tickets though.

The reality is that your girlfriend was breaking a traffic law. Getting caught, regardless of how, is not in any way indicative of her being picked on or abused as you described her being. Should there be warning signs posted that a cop might pull someone over in a given spot? I really don't see the difference, other than being pulled over by a cop gives you an opportunity to argue your way out of the ticket on the spot.

Your girlfriend broke the law and was caught. Either dispute it like everyone else, or just pay the fine. No need to whine as if she was unjustly targeted and bullied, or to try to claim that her "civil rights" were violated. I find it mystifying that your girlfriend broke a law and you are trying to turn it around as if she is some kind of victim. That kind of mentality is a detriment to our country.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
Should there be warning signs posted that a cop might pull someone over in a given spot?
Excellent point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
I really don't see the difference, other than being pulled over by a cop gives you an opportunity to argue your way out of the ticket on the spot.
When you get a personal ticket from a cop, it normally goes on your driving record. Which can increase your vehicle insurance rates. If you get enough tickets, you can have your license privileges suspended or revoked.

With the photo enforcement tickets in Albuquerque, no points are assessed against your driver's license. It is not reported to the Motor Vehicle Division. I will take my photo ticket any day...

Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
As someone who's gotten a real ticket on about that same stretch, I agree with the pay-the-fine arguments for the most part.

What I find objectionable is the posted speed limit on that stretch of road: 25 mph. It's anchored by stoplights, continuous and straight over 5 miles, wide enough to be considered a minor arterial, has nothing extenuating about it other than a high school (driven at 45 past Del Norte or Eldorado lately?) and yet none of the comparable streets in the NE heights have limits less than 30.

After driving for a few years, you tend to get a good instinct about what an appropriate speed is for a given stretch of road, regardless of what's posted. This is about the only part of Albuquerque where that instinct is wrong as far as the law goes. If the ticket is worth fighting, this would be the only reason why.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:08 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christmaschiles View Post
I am glad so many people responded to the thread. I am thankful for all the advice. However... so many people have this attitude like my fiance is guilty... those machines that save lives are known to be faulty and outdated a great deal of the time. why would I hire an attorney? I just wanted info on the current laws. You may think it is a waste of time to fight a ticket... but for some people it costs a good deal of money. There are no photo enforcement signs on Pennsylvania ave. Based on the law in new mexico... that would make the ticket invalid. Hopefully... the judge will see it that way as well. My fiance is the victim of abuse all the time from people and I am tired of her getting picked on... she wears a knee brace for an old spinal cord injury. She does more than most two legged bodied people do in a day. She is also short and people like to tall down to her. So when someone picks on her... I look at it as WE. Before assuming something...please think about what it would be like to even struggle to put on your pants at 29!

Oh, bull$h!t. I have debilitating asthma, arthritis AND fibro- many mornings I have to be picked up out of bed. So what? I speed, I get a ticket, I pay a fine. I run a red light, the camera tags me, I get the ticket, I pay the fine.

Your girlfriend (and you by association) deserve no breaks or special treatment when laws are broken.

Millions of people live, work and contribute all while living with worse disabilities than both your girlfriend and myself have.

Don't play the disability card- that dog don't hunt.

She was speeding, she was caught. Doesn't matter whether a camera or a human verified it. It happened. Pay the ticket and tell her to watch her speed from now on. Fight it and you're likely to have much larger fees than a speeding ticket to worry about.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM
When you get a personal ticket from a cop, it normally goes on
your driving record. Which can increase your vehicle insurance
... If you get enough tickets, ...
... photo enforcement tickets in Albuquerque, no points ...
I didn't know that!

In any case, it goes back to my original question about "how much
does it cost?" The cost of fighting it is high in time and stress.
The cost of paying the fine and moving on with your life is low.

If you have tickets piling up, then you are an inattentive driver. The problem is you and not the system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
I find objectionable is the posted speed limit ...
tend to get a good instinct about what an appropriate speed is
There is a part of Tramway - N of the stop sign where it is 45 mph
Southbound and 50 mph Westbound.

Studies have found that 85% of drivers will tend to cluster at a speed that is appropriate
( during good driving conditions ). There will always be some that want to drive faster.
It's none of my business how fast the other guy wants to go. I may not like it, but ...

I find that on East Paseo, given an open lane and green lights, most people tend
to go about 47-48 rather than the posted 55 because of the random nature of hitting
the lights. I try to leave openings for those who want to go faster like Zoidberg.
On the freeway, I always move over - even if I am already going 69 through town.

( I don't know why, but I like that speed on I-25 through town. )

If the police are catching a disproportionate amount of "speeders" on any given road,
the limit is set too low and Zoidberg has every reason to be "objectioned."

Last edited by mortimer; 01-06-2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 01:24 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christmaschiles View Post

As for being treated like everyone else... I don't think any person should be spyed on by a hidden van or have redlight cams blind them while they drive thru an intersection.
They van/camera won't "spy" on us if people simply follow the posted speed limit and stop at the appropriate lights.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM

366 posts, read 1,247,858 times
these tickets are about money. they have nothing to do with safety or integrity. i wasn't even driving my car and received one. my car was at the tire shop having tires put on. they test drove it and turned just as the left turn lane switched from green arrow to green. i called the shop and put them down as the driver. but they didn't pay it so it came back to me. i won't pay it on general principle.

the good thing is it's not a criminal citation. it's a civil fine. so it won't count for any points on your license. that's how they get around actually proving you broke the law. it's unconstitutional to punish someone for a crime without proof in a criminal case. but for some reason, it's ok to punish them without proof in a civil case. i would be ok with them if they actually showed the person driving the car. but as it is, i think they probably are unconstitutional. and will eventually be defeated in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque