Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:10 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianH View Post
According to what I've read on wikipedia, it's projected to hit 2 million by 2030
Even though wikipedia says that, its cited source never mentions 2 million. Someone ought to fix the article.

This is about the first time I've found something demonstrably inaccurate in wikipedia.

During the housing boom (2007), the cited source predicted 1 million in the metro in 2021.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 12:12 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianH View Post
According to what I've read on wikipedia, it's projected to hit 2 million by 2030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Even though wikipedia says that, its cited source never mentions 2 million. Someone ought to fix the article.

This is about the first time I've found something demonstrably inaccurate in wikipedia.
The statement "2 million people by 2030" in the article at Albuquerque, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has been removed...

Everything on the planet seems to have mistakes, even wikipedia.org. But I find wikipedia to generally be accurate and a good place to start...

Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 PM

91 posts, read 142,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
We moved her from Louisville before the arena was completed. Disagree about the deal with UL being stupid. As I'm sure you know being from Indiana, high school and college basketball are huge in KY, and the rivalry between UL and UK is great. Much of Louisville lives and dies with UL sports. Except for those that went to UK - I loved seeing the cars that had a UL flag sitcking out of one side and a UK flag out the other.

In Louisville, UL is the big sports gorilla in town and there's absolutely no reason to think about trying to bring an NBA team to town. Particularly these days with free agency, and little allegiance between players and teams. Pro sports is all about big business making money, with the fans just looked by both teams and players as their revenue source. IMO UL basketball is so much better than anything an NBA team could offer, and I'm a die hard basketball fan and former player who grew up watching NBA games way back in the early-mid 60s.

This post may seem a little off the topic of this thread, but in my mind it is directly relevant. I think ABQ would be a lot better off following Louisville's model rather than trying to get an NBA team. Just think if UNM had the fans that UL, UK and IU have in the KY-IN area?

Actually I was born and raised in Bowling Green, KY, so yes I know about U of L and Louisville very well. I was a stupid plan because Louisville built that arena for the hopes of getting an NBA. They were going to have U of L play out of it and teamed up with them along the development path. I don't know of any college team that is playing in an arena of that caliber that doesn't have or had an NBA team playing in it. A lot of controversy in Louisville about how U of L has a wonderful deal and the city a bad deal. So no, ABQ shouldn't be on the hook for a $238 million dollar arena that can't be used for anything else other than U of L basketball, and if the city fails to honor the agreement, then U of L owns an arena that tax payers paid for.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:16 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post

During the housing boom (2007), the cited source predicted 1 million in the metro in 2021.
2 million by 2030....NOT going to happen, however 1 million by 2021 is possible. The Metro area is growing by about 11,000+ a year, if it continues at that rate it might happen. Right now the metro is around 900,000+.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The statement "2 million people by 2030" in the article at Albuquerque, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has been removed...

Everything on the planet seems to have mistakes, even wikipedia.org. But I find wikipedia to generally be accurate and a good place to start...
Iwas about to say the same thing. I love wikipedia as well as similar blogs, but we have to remember just because we read something doesn't make it the final word...

Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 PM

91 posts, read 142,135 times
Curious if it mentioned the city would be at 2 million or the metro area would be at 2 million by 2030? As far as the city goes, not going to happen. As far as metro area, it's possible, but not probable. So I agree with observe. Folks have many models they look at, so I'm sure the state and city have projections. The city could grow much faster than it did in the last 1 years, and if that is the case, then having about 2 million in the metro is very likely.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevationnation View Post
Curious if it mentioned the city would be at 2 million or the metro area would be at 2 million by 2030?
The statement at Albuquerque, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia use to say:
Quote:
New millennium
During the 21st century, the Albuquerque population has continued to grow rapidly. The population of the city proper is estimated at 528,497 in 2009, up from 448,607 in the 2000 census. The Albuquerque metropolitan area has 907,775 residents, and it is projected to increase to 2 million people by 2030, according to projections from the University of New Mexico's Bureau of Business and Economic Research.[15] During 2005 and 2006, the city celebrated its tricentennial with a diverse program of cultural events.
It now says:
Quote:
New millennium
During the 21st century, the Albuquerque population has continued to grow rapidly. The population of the city proper is estimated at 528,497 in 2009, up from 448,607 in the 2000 census.[14] During 2005 and 2006, the city celebrated its tricentennial with a diverse program of cultural events.

There was no valid reference found to support the claimed population projected growth...

Rich

Old 12-01-2012, 03:57 PM

141 posts, read 222,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The statement at Albuquerque, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia use to say:
Quote:
New millennium
During the 21st century, the Albuquerque population has continued to grow rapidly. The population of the city proper is estimated at 528,497 in 2009, up from 448,607 in the 2000 census. The Albuquerque metropolitan area has 907,775 residents, and it is projected to increase to 2 million people by 2030, according to projections from the University of New Mexico's Bureau of Business and Economic Research.[15] During 2005 and 2006, the city celebrated its tricentennial with a diverse program of cultural events.
It now says:
Quote:
New millennium
During the 21st century, the Albuquerque population has continued to grow rapidly. The population of the city proper is estimated at 528,497 in 2009, up from 448,607 in the 2000 census.[14] During 2005 and 2006, the city celebrated its tricentennial with a diverse program of cultural events.
There was no valid reference found to support the claimed population projected growth...

Rich
I was really surprised when I first read that. I mean, it took over 300 years for the ABQ area to get to the present population of just over 900,000, but to add another 1.1 million in 18 years?!? That would be some seriously crazy growth! Realistically, I would say ABQ will hit the one million mark by 2018, and maybe 1.3 million by 2030. Who knows though, maybe something will create some sort of mega boom

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-01-2012 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque