Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 01:09 AM

368 posts, read 1,329,146 times

Advertisements

America loves football, I think no matter what mid-size city they put a team in it will be successfull. New Mexico has a thing for the Dallas Cowboys and Denver Broncos, so people would have to adjust to a new team here,at least I think,but we would be so happy that the NFL arrived in Albq that Albq football would be the main focus.If the New Mexico Lobos can get 35,000 fans at a college football game,and the team isnt all that great,then definetly we can get double that for a NFL franchise.Our city is only going to continue to grow.It will attract fans from other towns in N.M. for a Sunday game.What better way than to spend an afternoon in N.M. Its only a game a week,so I think we can support it,opposed to a MLB or NBA team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 02:36 AM

184 posts, read 901,872 times
Well, I have been away from this thread for a while, but as I check back I can't help but sense that a pro team would be a much needed addition to the metro.

I'd support any sport (although soccer is my fav), but with every new team the colors and the name will be an issue.

I hate the color red... and it a lot of teams in NM have the color red in them, which is a disengaging thing for me, but I realise how subjective that is.

I'd like to see something like BLACK and WHITE (keep it simple) or GREEN (but not with purple or yellow)... or how does ORANGE sounds? It worked out for the Houston Dynamo, winning the MLS in their first year.

GIVE YOUR SUGGESTIONS FOR TEAM NAMES AND COLORS THAT YOU'D PREFER FOR OUR FUTURE TEAM!!!

Let's make this pro team happen!

Old 04-05-2007, 04:39 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,183 times
Default Albuquerque sports

Albuquerque has several minor league sports ...AAA Baseball, Isotopes; NBA D-league, Thunderbirds; and CHL, Scorpions. Which is great for a city it's size.
However what do you think the time line for one of the Major League sports to come to town is?

Old 04-06-2007, 08:37 AM

710 posts, read 2,961,404 times
I would say another 10 to 15 years. I personally think our best shot would be the NFL. With only 8 home games I don't think we would have a problem filling a stadium of 60-80,000 seats.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:34 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
I would say another 10 to 15 years. I personally think our best shot would be the NFL. With only 8 home games I don't think we would have a problem filling a stadium of 60-80,000 seats.
I would agree for the most part with finmqa1.

10-to-15 years sounds reasonable to me.

I think the biggest obstacle - which people really need to realize - is facilities. There are no facilities currently in Albuquerque that would accomodate NFL football, MLB baseball, NBA basketball / NHL hockey. Obviously, an 17,000+ arena would need to be built for the NBA / NHL with suites, etc., or a 45,000+ stadium for MLB, or a 60,000+ stadium for the NFL.

The way many here think...residents as well as elected leaders...I think the politics of getting one of these buildings built (including financing it / landspace, etc.) would be a huge obstacle. And, even if / when the approval was given to build, it would take a few years to actually build the facility.

Another obstacle is that most leagues are currently saturated (eg: not looking to expand). Thus, Albuquerque would need to lure a franchise from a different city, which happens, but isn't the easiest thing both financially or politically often to do (especially in the city where the franchise is leaving, and in the league itself).

And surely, Albuquerque really would need the metro area to be in the 1.5 million range population-wise - at least - to really be a serious player for a franchise with the competition out there from bigger current cities that do not have particular sports (Portland only has NBA, Las Vegas - despite the gambling issue - has over 1.5 million, etc.); I am not saying this isn't possible at all for Albuquerque - a city this size growing at this rate in a region with no nearby competition (thus it could be a "state" team - even with support from El Paso) - it all is favorable for Albuquerque.

It is just extremely difficult to land a "major league" team, and if Albuquerque is serious about contending for one, once the metro area hits 1-million or so...they seriously would need to consider building a facility of cutting edge / major league caliber to hope to woo a franchise over.

Right now...people wouldn't be interested in looking at ABQ to relocate their franchise, because there would be no where for them to play.

While the NFL would make some sense, it might be the hardest big league sport to land. Due to the NFL's success, there are not a great deal of franchises in cities looking to relocate, and the few that might be...there is always the Los Angeles factor looming. Plus, the facility needing to be built would need to be the biggest, most-revenue oriented due to the relative few games played.

I think MLB or the NBA might be more realistic in the shorter term for Albuquerque. There are more fledgling or financially tight NBA / MLB teams that might be looking for new homes, and this market has shown an ability - at least in spurts - to support baseball and basketball (great Triple AAA baseball history and - in recent past - great support of UNM basketball).

(Having said all of that, having lived for many years in an MLB city and having gone to many, many MLB games every year, I personally prefer Isotopes games. The tickets are incredibly cheaper with parking, and we have a world-class minor league stadium here in Albuquerque. Plus, the seats you get here are closer and better than you would in an MLB park unless you are extremely well-off. I have more fun at Isotopes games with a Slammin' Amber than I generally ever did at an MLB game.)

Old 04-06-2007, 10:51 AM

127 posts, read 555,011 times
I think the city of albuquerque should consider a arena. I don't know if they are still trying to build it downtown. A arena that seats about 15000-20000 should be great for the city. This arena can host Arena Football, WNBA, or the UFC. I would really like to see the UFC in New Mexico.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:25 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,348 times
I think a lot of this topic has already been covered in a previous thread ("Will there ever be a pro sports team in ABQ?"), but I'll chip in my two cents here...

I agree with finmqa1 as far as the time frame goes, but I think it'll be closer to 15 than 10 years. I also agree that ultimately, an NFL franchise has the best chance of surviving long term in ABQ. Only having to fill the stadium for a pro game 8 times (plus preseason) would be far easier to accomplish than 41-81 times a year with other sports. Especially when each game would become an event in itself which could draw from the entire region, including El Paso as EnjoyEP stated.

As far as an opportunity to land a top tier franchise goes, I certainly believe that ABQ will have the chance to land an NBA, NHL or MLS before an NFL one (assuming facilities are built/available). But knowing this town like I think I do, I don't see these other leagues surviving in ABQ long-term.

The scenario I could see would be good/great support at the start, but waning unless the team was very successful. But no team wins forever, and that is what would ultimately doom the franchise. The local passion for the NFL is the only thing I could see overcoming this dynamic. And ABQ won't be big enough to support an MLB team (the most expensive option) for at least 2 decades, at best.

As far as facilities go, we definitely have a long way to go. But many other potential sports franchise sites lack modern facilities as well. Assuming Marty gets the downtown arena built at a workable size for the pros (no guarantee there), then NHL and/or NBA becomes a possibility. The big ticket item, a pro-level stadium, is a chicken-and-egg situation. There is absolutely NO WAY a new stadium get built (current NFL minimum is 65,000 seats) unless a team is iron-clad locked-in to come to ABQ. Which then makes NM a hard sell, especially if another community builds one "in advance".

Lastly, I see the NFL expanding by a minimum of 4 teams and a maximum of 8 teams over the next 10-12 years, with 1-2 of those going to L.A. (the NFL just wants in there too bad). This estimate is based on the fact that the current NFL owners really like money, which I think is a fairly safe assumption.

The last franchise fee paid to the NFL (split amongst ownership) was $700 million, and any new franchises would have to pay fees in the same range, if not exceeding $1 billion. That means if NM/ABQ is serious about the NFL, there will likely be a spot to go for, but we need to do some serious ground work/planning in advance. Unfortunately, this has not been ABQ's strong suit...

Chap

Old 04-07-2007, 12:15 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
The NFL is dependent on TV monies so I really don't think NM could ever generate a big share of the TV markets. We are kind of pinned in by Denver, Dallas and Phoenix.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:25 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
The NFL is dependent on TV monies so I really don't think NM could ever generate a big share of the TV markets. We are kind of pinned in by Denver, Dallas and Phoenix.

If thats the case, Albuquerque is still ahead of some major league markets.

TV Markets
45. Albuquerque
46. Oklahoma City (possible future NBA)
47. Greensboro
48. Louisville
49. Buffalo (NFL)
50. Jacksonville (NFL)
52. Austin
54. New Orleans (NFL,NBA)
other regional
70. Tucson
99. El Paso/Las Cruces

TV market size does matter however, the corporate market holds more weight. And Albuquerque still needs to become a bigger player in that market.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 AM

368 posts, read 1,329,146 times
NFL exists in Green Bay which has a population of under 200,000 not sure about the metro though,but Im sure Albq could fill 65,000 seats 8 times a year with no problem,you will have people make the trip from all around New Mexico on Sundays to see NFL football.I dont think a MLB team would make it,I think the baseball era somewhat is slowly dying, but I love the Isotopes games and their only 12,000 to fill,so that works out good for Albq.Maybe the NBA would work as long as the team wins,I can see the fans giving up on an NBA team when they start losing season after season,I still think that Lobo basketball has the advantage,but the NBA would also be great.I wouldnt try for an NHL team,New Mexicans are not too familiar with hockey,the Scorpions are the better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque