U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:40 PM

146 posts, read 140,293 times
Default Family moving to ABQ area, needs some direction

We are hoping to move out to ABQ, or thereabouts, by late Summer. We need to be relatively near UNM. My husband will be (assuming he gets in) in PA school there FT. We want to rent a house (long term, 4-6 years) in a neighborhood with good-great public schools. We can afford rent up to $2,000 a month; hoping to get 4 bedrooms for that, but could make do with 3.

We are outdoorsy types, like running, biking and hiking, and LOVE mountains, and several of my 4 kids are avid skiers and would be really sad if they couldn't do it anymore. My kids like to play outside, get dirty and have great adventures. Need a community that it is safe to do that in.

We are from a very small rural town in Appalachia, population 900, so small and rural doesn't scare us, but we would probably prefer an area not too remote so our kids can make friends and socialize and adapt. The move across the country will be hard on them and we are hoping to minimize that. The primary reason we are leaving our current location is the poor quality of public schools. Ill have one high school student, one middle school and two in elementary school. My sons are very athletic and would prefer strong school sports opportunities. My daughter is musical.

Shopping and nightlife is nice, but I'll drive to it, I don't need to live in it. Im not a fan of conspicuous consumption communities, where keeping up with the Jones' is a past-time. I cant keep up and I don't even want to think about it, lol. Knowing that my priority is schools and driving proximity to Mountains and UNM, what communities would you recommend we focus on. Specific school districts to target or avoid? Know any realtors that could help us find a house?

I've loved reading this forum and appreciate how much those of you from the area seem to love it. I'm very excited. THanks so much for any advice!

Last edited by AdamsWest; 02-01-2011 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,268,269 times
You might try researching schools on schooldigger.com and greatschools.org. If you want proximity to UNM and mountains, then you will want to focus on the East side of Albuquerque, which gives you a lot of options. Rural is not really an option, as UNM is centrally located. There are a lot of great neighborhoods near UNM, as well as in the NE heights and some nice areas in the SE part of town such as Four Hills.

With your rent budget, you should be able to find a nice home. It's just a matter of narrowing your criteria. If good public schools are your top priority, arguably the two best clusters are the El Dorado cluster and La Cueva cluster. Those are both in the far NE Heights, which will mean a 25-30 minute commute to UNM (but you will be very close to mountains).

Are you planning a visit before you move? If you have any more specific questions, please ask. Good luck to you and your family, and to your husband as he pursues PA school!

Old 02-02-2011, 11:12 AM

341 posts, read 382,676 times
Skiing won't be a problem at all so you don't have to worry about that. What are you (or your husband) looking for as far as commute to UNM? It sounds like Edgewood, Cedar Crest, Tijeras, (East Mountain areas) would work for you. I think the commute to UNM will be anywhere from 25 - 45 minutes (+parking and getting to the proper place) depending on where exactly you are, but you will be living in the mountains and more rural area.

In Albuquerque proper, as has been said, La Cueva is probably considered the best high school, but it certainly has a reputation for "Keeping Up With the Jones'" Eldorado and Sandia would be the next two areas and have significantly less Jones' mentality.

Your budget should be more than enough for the Albuquerque area. I would suggest doing a bit more research on existing threads talking about the schools and crime. I love Albuquerque and think is it plenty safe and you can make the school work for you, but I think you would find few people who would list, "Quality of Public School" or "Low Crime" as reason to live in Albuquerque (I wouldn't).

Last edited by ralthor; 02-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: added parking time

Old 02-02-2011, 12:39 PM

449 posts, read 520,158 times
I would look into areas directly adjacent to UNM - particularly on the east and north sides of campus if you have a family. The neighborhoods around UNM are among the nicest in the city, there's no reason to live anywhere else if you'll be working there - err, unless you want closer access to the mountains, in which case you might want to look further east near Tramway.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:31 AM

146 posts, read 140,293 times
Thanks for all the information, it is really very helpful. Yes, we will be coming out in June to narrow it down. I just wanted to be able to focus on houses in a few neighborhoods so as to not waste time. A less than 45 minute commute to UNM is fine. We are used to driving 45-60 minutes to get anywhere here. Mostly, I want good schools for my kids in neighborhoods where they will be about the norm socioeconomic wise. While we have what would probably be statistically categorized as an upper middle class income, we like to live simply. Sure, I've got the Volvo wagon, but it's a 1998, lol, and I'm not shopping for my kids at Abercrombie. Ever. If fancy new cars and $200 tennis shoes are what it takes to fit it, it isn't the neighborhood for us. I'm not big on "gated communities" but I won't rule them out simply out of hand, I'll look first. I don't want to someone measuring my grass to see if it is 1/4" too high, but I don't want to live in a neighborhood where there are non-running vehicles in the yard. Is that making sense?

I don't know where Ill work yet (I am already a PA), but I have been in touch with a recruiter who tells me there are many opportunities in the general ABQ area. I'm not concerned about a commute.

I see a lot of nice houses in our price range in an area called Corrales. Is that a good family area? I'll keep looking for real estate in Edgewood, Cedar Crest, and Tijeras. I think Rio Rancho might be perfectly fine. It sounds laid back and pleasant. I spoke to a realtor on the phone who wants to show me a house in Rio Rancho, in a subdivison called Vista Entrada. Zoned for RIO RANCHO HS RIO RANCHO MS RIO RANCHO ES

Any feedback on that?

I hadn't really considered crime. I haven't locked my house or car in ten years, I guess Ill have to start. I grew up up in a metro area in Florida. There was plenty of crime, but no gang activity. I'm not really afraid of crime issues. Ill lock the house, but I don't make choices based on fear or what ifs, know what I mean? I may be naive, but I'm just not conditioned that way. I will look fro those threads though, in case there is an important issue I have failed to consider. Thanks, keep the suggests coming!

Last edited by AdamsWest; 02-03-2011 at 01:50 AM..

Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 AM

1,974 posts, read 2,637,935 times
Corrales is a very nice area, but rapidly becoming traffic bound. It's a small village directly
abutting the Northwest Albuquerque border that is very rapidly going upscale and not
only are the roads just not up to the traffic that already exists; there isn't a lot that
can be done to widen them without tearing down about half of the village's historic area.

I don't know anything about the Vista Entrada neighborhood..

Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 AM
N8!

2,423 posts, read 2,037,843 times
The east side of the Sandias (edgewood/Cedar Crest et al) don't have natural gas. You have to heat with wood/pellets/propane. Might be something to consider as it was a deal breaker for me cuz I'm too lazy to go out in the icy cold & snow to chop wood and bring it in, have no interest in buying and storing a ton or two of pellets for every winter, and propane is $$$$$.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,268,269 times
There are a few other things to consider. The Rio Grande River runs through Albuquerque, and if you work on one side of the river but live on the other side, that means commuting across the river twice daily. There are only a handful of bridges and traffic is bad during rush hour on those bridges. A lot of people don't mind this, but I found it an unnecessary waste of time. UNM is on the East side of the river. Rio Rancho is on the West. Also, the East Mountain communities (Tijeras, Cedar Crest, etc), get a lot more snow, and you are far more likely to get snowed in and to have to deal with ice on the roads, I-40 being shut down, etc.

As for crime, you will definitely want to lock your cars and home here. If at all possible, you want to park your car in a garage at night, no matter how nice of a neighborhood you live in. Otherwise I think if you use common sense you will be fine.

You really don't need to worry about pretentious attitudes here. Poverty yes. Even the wealthiest areas are not very tony here. There are a couple of neighborhoods that might be like this, but it's a minority.

I don't know very much about Rio Rancho, but it definitely has more of a suburban sprawl feel. The schools *might* be better than APS? Not too sure on that. Corrales is a lovely village. Your main problem there will be the commute. Otherwise it is fantastic! You might also look into some of the neighborhoods in the foothills because they offer better schools, lower crime, beautiful views, an easier commute, and access to mountains. Some names of neighborhoods are Four Hills, Glenwood Hills, High Desert, and Sandia Heights. There are other areas between Four Hills and Glenwood Hills, but I am not sure of the names of the neighborhoods. Your realtor will know.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:44 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,913,061 times
Welcome to the forum!

Personally I don't understand why people think they have to live on the edges of town and spend hours a week commuting to work or school, when there are really excellent options much more centrally-located. I have known newcomers to say "I wanted to be near the mountains" -- well, everything is close enough to the mountains, you don't have to be right on top of them. Are you going to be hiking in the mountains more often than going to work or school? If not, I don't see the advantage of living closer to the mountain than to work. If you live in the UNM area (I think the "north campus" area would be a good fit for you) you'll still be less than a half hour from recreation in the mountains.

I know a lot of UNM faculty and hospital people who live in the UNM area and put their kids through the public schools like Montezuma and Monte Vista Elementary, Jefferson Middle, and Albuquerque High. Kids went on to Yale, Georgetown, and other great schools. The area I'm referring to is bordered by University Blvd. on the west, Carlisle on the east, Lomas on the south, and I-40 on the north. I think in realty terms it is called UNM North. These are older, established neighborhoods with mature trees and more character than you will find on the edges of town. The snob factor is minimal to none.

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:39 AM

341 posts, read 382,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
The east side of the Sandias (edgewood/Cedar Crest et al) don't have natural gas. You have to heat with wood/pellets/propane. Might be something to consider as it was a deal breaker for me cuz I'm too lazy to go out in the icy cold & snow to chop wood and bring it in, have no interest in buying and storing a ton or two of pellets for every winter, and propane is $$$$$.

Whoops, apparently Albuquerque is running out too Natural gas outages reported throughout state | KOB.com (http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1956231.shtml?cat=500 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque