Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:32 AM

16 posts, read 93,193 times

Advertisements

I would still stand to everything I said in my previous posting. Here are some problems and conformations I have encounter though:
Crime: It is higher here, there seems to be a certain mentally of machismo with some people (of all ethnics) that causes fights, assaults, and even murders. Plus, there is a higher incidence of break-ins into homes and autos. But a lot of places have private security for their parking lots and cameras. There has not been a time that I did feel safe, except in my apartment complex; which is supposedly in a safe area. But I am moving to a smaller apartment which is gated. There is an higer incidence of DWI's also.
People: On the most part, I still find very pleasant people, willing to extend a hand or pleasantries.
Yes, there are people that you need to stay clear of, but you usually can identify them.
Economy: As with the rest of the county ABQ is experiencing problems also. But compare to other areas ABQ is still rated as a good place to live and work.
Weather: I love the weather here! Where as it might be over 100 degrees in other cities surround us. Abq only gets up into the 90's.
Size: It is very easy to get around here compare to other major cities. The only part I still get lost in is the NW quadrant.
Vistas: I love driving around town and seeing all of the different views of the city. I just saw the fireworks for the 4th. One of the coolest places is to drive up to Tramway Rd. and park along the road to watch all of the different fireworks being held arounf the city. Next year I hope to get up to the top of the Sandias to watch them.
The only thing I missed are the Fall colors (but you can drive to areas that more trees) and then in the Spring for some reason is very windy.
So, I am still aiming to stay here. I hope to be able to see more of New Mexico, (I love the Rail Runner) The Land of Entrapment... opps, I mean...Enchantment.
If you have any other questions let me know!!!!!

Last edited by pjkatz; 07-28-2009 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: to add on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 AM

16 posts, read 93,193 times
[Low standard of living or low cost of living? I sure hope Albuquerqueans don't have low standards, otherwise I'll have to cross it off my list.
I was comparing to where I lived before, Erie, PA. No, there is a great choice of where you want to live and purchase things in ABQ. All in all it is better then a lot of places I would want to live, like Detroit itself , (the suburbs are good) or Erie, PA. The upside to anyplace that has an lower standard of living is that if you have a good income you can live very well; like a bigger home, more land...

Old 07-29-2009, 04:44 PM

132 posts, read 347,074 times
I had lots of positive things to say when I first moved here. I agree it's beautiful with the mountains and the food is great, but since I moved here I've developed Summer SAD (reverse of Seasonal Affective Disorder due to gray gloomy days). I can kind of tolerate the heat but the constant blinding sun makes me depressed. I'm apparently part of the 1% of people who have this disorder. Needless to say, I do like the rare thunderstorms and monsoons...

Old 07-29-2009, 04:53 PM

132 posts, read 347,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkatz View Post
I would still stand to everything I said in my previous posting. Here are some problems and conformations I have encounter though:
Crime: It is higher here, there seems to be a certain mentally of machismo with some people (of all ethnics) that causes fights, assaults, and even murders. Plus, there is a higher incidence of break-ins into homes and autos. But a lot of places have private security for their parking lots and cameras. There has not been a time that I did feel safe, except in my apartment complex; which is supposedly in a safe area. But I am moving to a smaller apartment which is gated. There is an higer incidence of DWI's also.
I meant to ask, what is it with the crime here?? I got my car broken to after only being here a month. It's an old beater car and the cd/radio in was probably worth no more than 25 bucks in a pawn shop. Plus the idiots basically ripped my dash apart and it costs 80 bucks to repair it. This was at an apt complex called Entrada Pointe in Rio Rancho and it was NOT cheap. The crime got so bad there; muggings, robberies, drug dealing I finally had to move. This is supposedly in a safe area too, Southern Blvd and Country Club Drive. I'm wondering if it was bad in that particular complex because although they do credit checks they don't do background checks for felonies, thus letting the "bad seeds" in.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLIABQ View Post
I had lots of positive things to say when I first moved here. I agree it's beautiful with the mountains and the food is great, but since I moved here I've developed Summer SAD (reverse of Seasonal Affective Disorder due to gray gloomy days). I can kind of tolerate the heat but the constant blinding sun makes me depressed. I'm apparently part of the 1% of people who have this disorder. Needless to say, I do like the rare thunderstorms and monsoons...
You are not alone. Seriously. And I agree, it is not the heat but the light that causes the depression.

ABQConvict

Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,419 times
"I meant to ask, what is it with the crime here?? I got my car broken to after only being here a month."

Random crime is random crime. I've lived here for 4 years and have two cars...neither one has ever been broken into. My husband has lived here for 20 plus years, working in some of the seedier parts of town and had his truck broken into twice, only once did they do any damage.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:49 PM

I have lived in Albuquerque for 19 years. None of my cars have ever been broken into. My house was broken into once (well, technically speaking it was 'walked into' since the front door was left unlocked). The perpatrator was a transient homeless guy that my next-door neighbor naively allowed to sleep on his porch. At least the guy only stole my change jar and CDs and left my real valuables alone.

Also, I have never been mugged, shot at, randomly kicked in the 'nads, or solicited by a 'john' for sex. I do not live in a fancy neighborhood. Shoot, I even brave it down here south of Montgomery or Tramway or whatever the 'safe' boundary is these days. :-)

Actually the biggest crime I deal with on a regular basis is littering. I'm pretty sure that my house has a big sign on it that says, "Hey you guy walking down the street, see that McDonald's wrapper in your hand? Throw it in this yard over here. Yeah, that's it. Oh and that beer can, too. There you go!"

ABQConvict

Old 07-30-2009, 02:34 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
... I have never been ... solicited by a 'john' for sex. ...
... but you WISH you had, right?

I wish I still was. I'm too ugly now.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:02 PM

Uhhhh. Not a john, a jane, maybe. I'd be the gigolo with a heat of gold. ;-)

Old 05-16-2011, 03:18 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Reviving an old thread, but I was reading through this one as I will be falling into this category. Albuquerque really surprised me a lot. I'm very comfortable with the size of the city, almost perfect in that respect. Big enough to stimulate me, but away from the Rat Race (Thank God). It has a lot of character and a very interesting history. I like that it's an old place but also a new city. Food is awesome, people are friendly, love the live and let live vibe of the place. Anyway if I go on, I'll only be echoing what so many others have already said, I'm totally looking forward to moving there. I also give props to Enjoy EP for the extensive list of attributes in ABQ on the first page.

I stumbled upon this video which is a good introduction to ABQ for transplants. Many of whom hardly knew a thing about ABQ and were surprised how cool it is there.

http://vimeo.com/9946900
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque