Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:19 PM

11 posts, read 29,048 times

Advertisements

I'm loving all of this! I'm thinking of relocating from California, and its nice to hear about ABQ from the transplants perspective.

Does anyone live in the Nob Hill area? One of the realtors I've spoken to told me I might like it because it has a real 'neighborhood' feel (i.e. people actually walking to and from the store instead of driving)...

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Agape
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 08:36 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
Click the search box and enter [Nob Hill]

A tour of Nob Hill

Nob Hill Secrets

There are lots of other posts within other threads. Come back with specific questions that have not already been answered.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:31 PM

Hi Mortimer.

Thanks for sending the links. I had actually seen those already.

I guess, what I am would like, specifically, is to hear from any transplants who ended up settling in the Nob Hill area and their reasons for that.

I have my reasons for considering moving there, but would like to hear from others who have already made the move.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
I live in the neighborhood just west of Nob Hill and I walk or bike daily to my job in Nob Hill.

Some good reasons to live in in Nob Hill:

-It is Green. Lots of mature trees and shrubbery.

-Charming, older houses with real front doors unlike the garage-fronted houses popular in other parts of the city.

-well kept yards with a variety of xeriscapes, small lawns, and trees.

-supremely walkable. If you work in the area you don't need a car and are within walking distance of shops, as well as the greatest density of Albuquerque's best dining and culture options as well as the Rapid Ride which will take you to the offerings of Downtown as well as the Uptown shopping district.

-Nice, friendly neighbors.

-fairly progressive. Your neighbors are likely to recycle, garden, and not drive a monstrous SUV that they leave running at 5:30 in the morning to 'warm up'.

The major downsides:

-The one-ways, Lead and Coal, bisect the neighborhood (Though it beats the boulevards common elsewhere)

-Proximity to the "warzone". This is an overstated problem in my opinion.

-Although there are good foodshopping options, generally (La Montanita Co-op, Farmer's Market) the nearest supermarket, the Smith at Yale/Coal... is not great.

ABQConvict

Old 05-05-2008, 02:35 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
-Although there are good foodshopping options, generally (La Montanita Co-op, Farmer's Market) the nearest supermarket, the Smith at Yale/Coal... is not great.

ABQConvict
There is a really nice Smith's at Carlisle and Constitution, which isn't too far away. And you have a small Whole Foods (formerly Wild Oats) right down the street.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:09 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,204 times
We are north of Nob Hill, and we love it. We can walk or bike to about everything we need. I really like to shop at La Montanita, but we also get stuff at the Smith's at Carlisle & Constitution (much cheaper). We also get produce from Los Poblanos.

I second everything ABQConvict says about the area.

It will be great for bicycles once the bike lanes are completed on Load & Coal and when Silver Ave. is turned into a bike-friendly street.

I feel very safe in this neighborhood. Our neighbors are very friendly. The parks are lovely & filled with people. Regarding crime, my suggestion would be that you don't leave anything out in your car worth stealing. The precautions that you need to take are the same that you would take in any city.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:05 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
And you have a small Whole Foods (formerly Wild Oats) right down the street.
Hey, that's cool. I have missed too much in ABQ by being away since July. In "my time" in ABQ, there was always just the one WF - Wyoming and Academy.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 AM

710 posts, read 2,961,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Hey, that's cool. I have missed too much in ABQ by being away since July. In "my time" in ABQ, there was always just the one WF - Wyoming and Academy.
There will be four in the very near future, and a 5th on the Westside in a year or two. Trader Joes is opening their second store at ABQ Uptown, and they plan on two to three more.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
There will be four in the very near future, and a 5th on the Westside in a year or two. Trader Joes is opening their second store at ABQ Uptown, and they plan on two to three more.
Holy smokes! Talk about expansion! Good for ABQ.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:33 PM

Thank you everyone (especially you, ABQ convict) for replying to this post!

I LOVE Trader Joe's and as long as there is one close by, then I am a happy camper. I also buy most of my fresh produce, etc. at our local farmer's market here.

I like the idea that the houses are not "car centric" (i.e. with the garage being the most visible part). I also like the idea of all the walking areas.

Will let you know what I decide. Have to unload the California house first.

Thanks again.

Agape
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque