U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 AM

299 posts, read 724,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Believe me as one who is talking from experience, the time really does go quickly and the time for your move will be here before you know it!
You know, I believe you, but, I still am so excited. I believe I need to create a 'Short Timers Calendar' (mark off each day).

If all or even a good share of the population is anything like those that post on this forum, I'm going to enjoy ABQ more than I ever imagined. In short my hat is off to each and everyone one for being REAL PEOPLE.

Your friend in the Philippines,

MACS (Ret)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 06:19 PM

11 posts, read 19,147 times
Well....I bit the bullet and bought a house in ABQ over the weekend -- finally sold my California home.

I love the Nob Hill area -- the eclectic mix of stores on Central Avenue and that beautiful road, Ridgecrest, that runs along the top -- with all those small parks dotting the neighborhood. Will be moving out there the end of this month.

Will keep you posted as to all my finds and discoveries. In the meantime, I've made a note of all the great restaurants everyone has talked about.

I ate at the Standard on Central the last night I was there and was very impressed with the food.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:28 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,071,063 times
Congrats! Agape51. Welcome to the Land of Enchantment.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:44 PM

3,059 posts, read 6,347,185 times
Agape51 - Wonderful news!

Welcome!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:45 PM

7,080 posts, read 7,275,865 times
Agape51, I think you are going to like it here. Welcome to the neighborhood. If you are in the area you described, check out Hyder Park just a couple blocks west of Ridgecrest. One of the nicest in town.

ABQConvict

Old 06-04-2008, 10:28 PM

295 posts, read 733,201 times
Agape51, congratulations! That is a beautiful neighborhood.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:24 PM

16 posts, read 64,818 times
Default Immho........

I have been reading all different threads on this site. There where many negative opinions, but enough positives that I decided to fly out there two weeks ago and I have to say that: I LOVE ABQ!

There were some crazy things like: practically every major intersection is totally different. Sometimes there were two left turn lanes OR a divided left turn lane (Not good if you don't know what street you are driving up to.)
The street lights did not come on until it was practically dark.
Again, not good if you don't know.....

Little bitty traffic circles and traffic signs sating to BEAR right!

Then, my Mom and noticed that the only Drug Stores around were Walgreen's. No CVS, Rite Aid.....

I will admit that I most of the time justifiably got honked at
(Damn Tourists!), but at times it unnerved me and was unjust.

But, even when it was in the 90's, we both could handle the heat
(very low humidity!).
Yeah, it was windy at times, but with the heat, it was a blessing also.

Then, I had read how mean, and Spanish speaking everyone was.
Minus the "Honkers", everyone I talked to were nice and spoke English,
There was even a guy in a truck at a light who saw me pull out a map, he said, "Need any help with directions? I said no, I was just driving around and seeing the sites. He laughed and said "Have a good one!

Then there are the Sandias.....what a treat it was to get up every morning, all day long and at sunset to see those beautiful mountains!
If I got lost, I just looked for the mountains and knew where I was............and where I was going to be moving to soon.
I just have to downsize, pack and I AM COMING!!!!

ABQ may not be perfect but I think I will fit in fine and love it!!!!
!!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:04 PM

299 posts, read 724,024 times
Great post. Made me wish were were there NOW. I like the positive attitude.

Wish you the best in your move. Keep us posted on the things you are enjoying and some that you might not fine to your standards.

jOE

Old 06-11-2008, 11:42 PM

5 posts, read 11,031 times
Not to exhaust the topic of restaurants further, but I didn't see anyone mention Cafe DuJour. It's really small, but the menu changes frequently and it seems to be a one-man show. I love coming to this place. Is "haute cuisine" a real phrase? I don't want to sound pretentious, but the ingredients are often not your ordinary diner grub.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:52 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,071,063 times
pjkatz, what a spectacular post. It was completley unbiased and objective...I gave you some well deserved rep points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque