Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,032 times

Advertisements

Bring warm clothes for the morning. You'll most likely need a winter coat for sure and probably a hat and gloves. Our mornings in October change right about balloon fiesta time where it gets pretty cold waiting outside for the sun to come up and then being out there for the launches. By the afternoon it will be in the low 80s or high 70s if the weather cooperates.

You can buy breakfast burritos, hot chocolate, and a host of other good eats at the balloon fiesta park, but be prepared to stand in long lines. If you get to the events early enough, parking shouldn't be an issue. Or like others have said, take the park-n-ride shuttle.

If you look at a map of the city, the field is north of Alameda (on the north end of the city) and west of I-25. Most of the hotels in that area would be along the northern area of I-25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 11:53 PM

241 posts, read 713,036 times
Knowing me, I will likely drive to the events. So, I assume being in the north would be my best bet and cause the least frustrations wrt my girlfriend getting ready. How early would I need to arrive in the mornings? It looks as if some days have a morning and evening event. Is the afternoon generally an off time or do the balloons stay airborne all day?

Any recommended hotels in the north? A decent gym and pool would be nice if possible.

If not the north then any other hotel suggestions in areas with good food, local walks, hikes?

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:28 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
Knowing me, I will likely drive to the events. areas with good food, local walks, hikes?

Thanks everyone.
Balloons start launching at sunrise. They stay up 20 minutes to two hours, depending on various factors. So you need to get there early. I am not sure what times others leave. When I go to the field I am part of the balloon crew. Then the evening events are separate, Balloon glow and fireworks at night are pretty good...

I would recommend visiting Old Town as a starter, for shopping a few places to eat:
Old Town | Albuquerque, New Mexico | It All Starts Here
Old Town Albuquerque - Albuquerque Old Town - Pictures of Old Town Albuquerque
Rich

Old 02-21-2011, 07:10 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
How early would I need to arrive in the mornings? It looks as if some days have a morning and evening event. Is the afternoon generally an off time or do the balloons stay airborne all day?
You will need to arrive early. If you don't want to fight long lines of traffic and parking, plan on leaving your by 5:30am or earlier. You will have most of the day to do other things. We usually leave the balloon park by 9am. You can research this forum for other things to do here, as there is a lot. Santa Fe or Jemez if you want a short day trip. There is also plenty to do in Albuquerque (tons of hiking and outdoor options). Lots of great restaurants too.

You and your girlfriend will have a blast .

Old 02-21-2011, 12:35 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe
... I will likely drive ...
How early would I need to arrive in the mornings? ...
Be there by 5 am.
I don't mean start driving by 5, but be picking out your parking space at four-something-aye-em.

People act like it really makes a difference if you sleep 5 hours rather than 4 hours.

Get there early, get there hungry and eat on the field while others sit idling
their cars in traffic. Use the bathroom facilities while the other late-comers
start eating and drinking coffee and you avoid those 'biffy lines' also.

OTOH, you could wait till the last minute and post here complaining about
how terrible the lines were. I'm likely to be real sympathetic - ask anyone.

An extra hour in bed, asleep means nothing. An extra hour to beat the crowds means everything.

If you map out zip code 87113 and then type [hotel] in the box, you can find lots
of hotel within walking distance of the field. I imagine that they still have rooms
available for the 2012 Balloon Fiesta, but might let you on the waiting list for 2011.

For those close hotels - like the Pyramid, I absolutely cannot imagine wanting to drive
a car to the field rather than just to take a quick walk over - but people do do that.

If one absolutely, positively is going to drive then even a hotel in Santa Fe is a worthwhile
possibility. It is entirely likely that the drive down from Santa Fe would be shorter [ in time ]
than the wait on Alameda Blvd - depending on the departure time.

BTW, many people drive their RV's into the field and park there for a few days. I wanted to post this idea
on there for the lurkers out there. Later on, during the afternoon, you can come-and-go in your automobile.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Be there by 5 am.
I don't mean start driving by 5, but be picking out your parking space at four-something-aye-em.
For those close hotels - like the Pyramid, I absolutely cannot imagine wanting to drive
a car to the field rather than just to take a quick walk over - but people do do that.

If one absolutely, positively is going to drive then even a hotel in Santa Fe is a worthwhile
possibility. It is entirely likely that the drive down from Santa Fe would be shorter [ in time ]
than the wait on Alameda Blvd - depending on the departure time.
I agree with most of what mortimer posts, but not this (well, not entirely). Arriving extra-extra early does have benefits, but is certainly not necessary (early is necessary, middle-of-the-night early is not necessary). You may want to give it a try on your first morning and then decide how you want to do things the following mornings - if you decide to go to the mass ascension each day you're here.

Last year was the first time we encountered traffic problems, and it was on the first day of the fiesta with record breaking crowds. We left at 5:45, but still arrived in time for the mass ascension. Leaving at 5:15 or 5:30 would have been ideal.

Some people on this forum equate time spent in the car to time spent in hell. I personally don't mind car time. I talk to my kids and hubby (and whomever else is along for the ride), listen to music, and generally enjoy life as much as time outside the car. It does not bother me that gas costs money. It's part of life as far as I'm concerned.

Hotels in Santa Fe are overpriced IMO. You are going to pay more for Albuquerque hotels because of the balloon fiesta, but it is still probably less expensive than Santa Fe. Staying in Santa Fe when you are visiting primarily for the balloon fiesta doesn't make sense. Visiting Santa Fe when you come for the balloon fiesta makes sense.

Last edited by marmom; 02-21-2011 at 01:27 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom
Some people on this forum equate time spent in the car to time spent in
hell. I personally don't mind car time. I talk to my kids and hubby (and
whomever else is along for the ride), listen to music, and generally enjoy ...
Yeah, easy for you to say.

How do ya know they feel the same way about sitting in the car with you?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Yeah, easy for you to say.

How do ya know they feel the same way about sitting in the car with you?
Maybe that IS why I like car rides! No one can escape my incessant rambling. Mwuahahahahahaaaaa!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:18 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,305,295 times
I admit it, I LOL'd at the above couple posts.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:30 PM

241 posts, read 713,036 times
All the hotels up that strip look fairly generic -- I guess I'll just pick the one closest to the Festival (looks like the Clarion). There are a few others in the vicinity that are slightly more expensive but don't have any better amenities (none have a decent fitness room as far as I can see).

I assume we won't be in the room other than sleeping anyhow as I've only been to Albuquerque for one day once before and will be busy hiking, eating and looking around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque