U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What to you use Dish Network or DirecTV?
Dish Network 10 18.18%
DirecTV 23 41.82%
Neither 4 7.27%
Neither, just free over the air TV 5 9.09%
Neither, I use Cable TV, I will post what I use. 9 16.36%
None of the above. I am just visiting the New Mexico forums. 4 7.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:03 AM

1,836 posts, read 2,290,870 times
Default Why does Dish Network seem to be more popular than DirecTV in the ABQ area?

I was wondering, it seems that in the Albuquerque metropolitan area, Dish Network is more popular than DirecTV. Is there any particular reason?

While Dish Network boasts more channels at lower prices, most of Dish Network's channels are virtually unheard of, while DirecTV generally includes the most popular channels.

Also, I know that Dish Network has offered local channels in the Albuquerqe Metro a few years before DirecTV did. Could this be the reason?

BTW, I wonder if the dispute with Dish Network and LIN Media (owners of KRQE and KASA) will make people switch to DirecTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM

16,441 posts, read 16,181,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
I was wondering, it seems that in the Albuquerque metropolitan area, Dish Network is more popular than DirecTV. Is there any particular reason?
That's just your opinion.

Got numbers?

But I do seem to notice Dish Network more in Rio Rancho than DirecTV. But it could be my bias, I have been using DirecTV for 15+ years....

Rich

ADDED: I did a poll for this thread...

Photo Contests Open For Posting Entries:

July 2014 "Theme" Contest
July 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest

Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 AM
N8!

2,423 posts, read 2,037,843 times
I was a long time DirecTV subscriber but when I moved to ABQ & bought a house, Dish Network offered the same channels I liked and for less cost.

A number of friends and folks I work with recommend I use The New Mexico Satellite Man for service and installation options. I did, and I have been very very happy.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:29 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,290,870 times
I'm surprised that DirecTV has a lead in this poll. However, perahps since I live in Rio Rancho, most of my observations have probably been within Rio Rancho, which may not be the same for Albuquerque. It could be quite possible that Dish Network dominates in Rio Rancho but DirecTV dominates in Albuquerque.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,268,269 times
We used Dish for a few years because when we compared the two side by side at the time it seemed like they had more channels that we liked. Now we just have the local channels, plus we stream tv shows and movies through netflix and itunes to our tv. It was a great switch. Saves us a decent amount of money, and there are no advertisements (unless we are watching the local channels).

Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 PM

79 posts, read 74,982 times
DirectTV is still relevant because they carry all of the sports packages. Being a DirectTV subscriber for now over 13 years all I can say is they are way overpriced for their content.
BUT if you want to see your local teams...especially NFL...which they have a monopoly you will pay. I know I have for the past 13 years.
The second they lose the NFL sunday ticket rights I am gone. Right now I'm paying ~$100 a month for two receivers with basic DVR HD service and no movie channels.
Ripoff... but my Jets games are somewhat worth the price.
BTW this is a florida respective...but what I see from friends around the country.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
I'm surprised that DirecTV has a lead in this poll. However, perahps since I live in Rio Rancho, most of my observations have probably been within Rio Rancho, which may not be the same for Albuquerque. It could be quite possible that Dish Network dominates in Rio Rancho but DirecTV dominates in Albuquerque.
Yes, that's possible.... Why does it not surprise me... How about Bernillio? Or South Valley, or Placitas? etc...

Old 03-02-2011, 09:01 PM

I have two over the air antennas for the local (HD) stations. I built one and the other was a $15 unit. I get all the local stations, and some others depending on which TV I'm watching (Like two PBS stations with different programming).

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-04-2011 at 01:39 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 AM

3,068 posts, read 5,033,367 times
I won't have anything other than DirecTV. Love it! One rental house had a Dish satelite, but we still went with Direct. Dish does not offer the channels we watch the most.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 AM
N8!

2,423 posts, read 2,037,843 times
I'm wondering what channels DirecTV offers that Dish doesn't.

????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque