U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-07-2011, 03:07 AM

186 posts, read 395,106 times
Default Comcast Cable (recent changes/problems now with volume on DVR) ?

Was curious if anyone else has recently noticed problems with their Comcast Cable (we have HD DVR service)...

We now can barely hear the TV.. even if we pump up the volume to the max (60).. This just happened within the the last week (after we noticed some differences in our DVR display).. I have yet to call Comcast, but I thought i'd poke out here to see if anyone else is experiencing the same .

(pls .. no comments from peanut gallery about aging ... baby boomers and hearing problems.... )

thanks. Skyzlimit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-07-2011, 06:46 AM

2,783 posts, read 3,779,497 times
Our Comcast box goes flaky on occasion too; I think your problem could actually stem from the box itself rather than your service. If you pay a monthly rental fee for the box, I'd go down to Comcast and ask to switch it out; that will probably fix your problem.

Unread 03-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Thanks Zoidberg!

Here is what I found out from Comcast: 800-comcast

About 2 weeks ago, Comast did erroneously begin to roll out here in Albuquerque area, a new DVR 'guide' version update.*** When they stopped the rollout and reverted back to the old (Current "Guide" features), it has caused some glitches... One being a 'volume' issue. Ie.. some of the clickers reverted back to a default cable volume setting which is fairly low and wiped out the use of the "Cable" volume using the clicker...

The technician over the phone helped me reset my Cable Clicker and we tweeked the 'TV' volume setting and then when I switched back to the Cable volume, it all is now working and volume is loud enough.. (ha.. prior to this, I didn't know there was a different volume tweeking needed for "TV" versus "CABLE"... technology. mphff ..

(The 'TV' Volume sets the precedent... you should have it set at about 35 -48 , so that when you switch back to CABLE volume- it doesn't distort sound quality.. (the settings even look different... (FYI TV volume indicator is a solid bar with 1-60 and the Cable volume indicator is a slide volume with just white bars showing low to high volume (and no numbers)..

*** Down the road there will be a new updated "DVR Guide" , but not just yet... (DVR: Digital Video Recorder)

Granted this might be TMI (too much information)... but, heck.. maybe it helped someone else too..

Skyszlimit

Unread 03-21-2011, 08:54 PM

16 posts, read 27,950 times
This was helpful to us because we were wondering what the heck happened to our DVR volume. I guess I'll be calling Comcast and see if I can find a helpful rep like you did to help me reset it. Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyszlimit View Post
Thanks Zoidberg!

Here is what I found out from Comcast: 800-comcast

About 2 weeks ago, Comast did erroneously begin to roll out here in Albuquerque area, a new DVR 'guide' version update.*** When they stopped the rollout and reverted back to the old (Current "Guide" features), it has caused some glitches... One being a 'volume' issue. Ie.. some of the clickers reverted back to a default cable volume setting which is fairly low and wiped out the use of the "Cable" volume using the clicker...

The technician over the phone helped me reset my Cable Clicker and we tweeked the 'TV' volume setting and then when I switched back to the Cable volume, it all is now working and volume is loud enough.. (ha.. prior to this, I didn't know there was a different volume tweeking needed for "TV" versus "CABLE"... technology. mphff ..

(The 'TV' Volume sets the precedent... you should have it set at about 35 -48 , so that when you switch back to CABLE volume- it doesn't distort sound quality.. (the settings even look different... (FYI TV volume indicator is a solid bar with 1-60 and the Cable volume indicator is a slide volume with just white bars showing low to high volume (and no numbers)..

*** Down the road there will be a new updated "DVR Guide" , but not just yet... (DVR: Digital Video Recorder)

Granted this might be TMI (too much information)... but, heck.. maybe it helped someone else too..

Skyszlimit

Unread 03-22-2011, 02:51 PM

570 posts, read 409,915 times
I haven't had any problems with volume, but this morning I did notice they switched overnight to the new on-screen guide. (I don't have a DVR, just a regular digital box). I had received a notice about this switch in the mail about a week ago, so I knew it was coming.

When I first started using the new guide this morning I said to myself "Why the hell did they get rid of the old guide?!". I think most of that stemmed from initially not being able to figure out how to set a reminder timer (which is what I really like about the on-screen guide). But also from the default color scheme, which killed my eyes.

After messing around with it for a while I figured out how to set the reminders and changed the color scheme to "Mountain Silver". There are still little things that are bugging me about this new guide (the ads for On-Demand movies at the bottom, for example), but I think with time I'll get used to it and then at some point in the future when they change it again I'll once again say to myself "Why did they get rid of the old guide?!".

Unread 03-22-2011, 05:35 PM

I rec'd a voicemail today from Comcast alerting us that the 'new guide' is coming within the next few days... (between 12m-6a) this week...

Coming from another part of the country, we used to have a 'better' Comcast DVR online guide feature than what we found upon arriving to Albuquerque. Sooo.. I am hoping that I'll appreciate the new guide.

One feature that really bugged us on the current guide, is not being able to set up a program/recording more than 2 weeks out. I am hoping this feature will now be included in the 'new guide'...

Caveate for all those Comcast "DVR" users, who have more than 90%+ capacity stored programs on their current DVRs.... Comcast warns that you may lose some shows after the 'new guide' conversion is done. Sooo... time to purge and/or copy some of your saved programs over to a DVD and get them off of your DVR units before this week's guide overhaul.

Good Luck Comcast DVR users!

Skyzlimit

Unread 03-22-2011, 06:07 PM

731 posts, read 940,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyszlimit View Post
I rec'd a voicemail today from Comcast alerting us that the 'new guide' is coming within the next few days... (between 12m-6a) this week...

Coming from another part of the country, we used to have a 'better' Comcast DVR online guide feature than what we found upon arriving to Albuquerque. Sooo.. I am hoping that I'll appreciate the new guide.

One feature that really bugged us on the current guide, is not being able to set up a program/recording more than 2 weeks out. I am hoping this feature will now be included in the 'new guide'...

Caveate for all those Comcast "DVR" users, who have more than 90%+ capacity stored programs on their current DVRs.... Comcast warns that you may lose some shows after the 'new guide' conversion is done. Sooo... time to purge and/or copy some of your saved programs over to a DVD and get them off of your DVR units before this week's guide overhaul.

Good Luck Comcast DVR users!

Skyzlimit
How do you copy stuff from a Comcast DVR to a DVD? I've always wondered.

Unread 03-23-2011, 01:19 AM

468 posts, read 494,106 times
What happened with mine was that from Sunday to Monday the picture became too large for the screen and was cropped on the top and bottm. The printed guide to the remote did not help at all so I posted the issue on google. I fixed it using "cable" and then "zoom"; after pressing that button a couple of times it re-sized. Now whenever I change to another channel other than On Demand, it initially shows the channel and description (such as Bravo, HGTV, etc) in a little black box in the very center of the screen. It is only for a second or two so I won't bother to research how to change it.

BTW, the on screen guide has not changed...not yet...

Unread 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM

The Comcast update was rolled out earlier this week .. and tonite we tried using a function that has ALWAYS worked in the past... It's called "PIP" 'Picture in Picture'... where you can keep 2 programs up on your tv screen (one smaller and one larger) and toggle between them.. and NOW... that function is no longer available!!

I just saw this posted on another website, so I at least know it's not just our TV or DVR box.

"Update from Albuquerque, .. Well, the "upgrade" was rolled out again last night, and today 3/22, PiP functionality is dead. Is there any hope for restoring PiP? Anyone know anything, or do I call Comcast technical services and get told (again) that the DVR box manufacturer is my only hope?"

Bottom line.. if anyone has the PIP function and hasn't tried it since this week's Comcast upgrade, try it to see if it works... and if it doesn't call-- Comcast immediately to report the problem!! They are 'trending' and gathering up customer complaints/comments and if they don't hear from people about the problem, they could just write it off.. nuff said..

Unread 04-01-2011, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 5,628 times
Default Comcast new guide is awful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajenkatt View Post
This was helpful to us because we were wondering what the heck happened to our DVR volume. I guess I'll be calling Comcast and see if I can find a helpful rep like you did to help me reset it. Thanks for posting!
We got the "new and improved" guide a few days ago. No more picture in picture, we don't get all our HD channels (which we pay extra for), the guide is awful and not easy to use, picture on second t.v. is shaky, the volume running through our main t.v. and sound system is horrible. Needless to say, we called Comcast who said we needed to bring in both HD DVR boxes and swap out. We did so today, and problems went from bad to worse. We now have to wait till Monday so a tech can come out. We, of course, lost all the programs we had on the DVR, including the ones pre-programmed for later dates. Very frustrating. This new and improved guide is crap! Comcast has been bad for a very long time, now it's so much worse. Unfortunately, they are the only game in town, except for satellite that goes out every time the wind blows, and our bill just keeps increasing and increasing and increasing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque