Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 11:08 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times

Advertisements

Sorry to bump, but just to let everyone know, here in the Phoenix area we now have them on most of our freeways, with the US 60 Superstition Freeway being completed this week. The only ones that still remain are Loop 101 between the Loop 202 Red Mountain Freeway and Shea, I-10 from 35th Avenue to Baseline Road, I-17 south of Dunlap, and SR 143 (although I know the latter is planned to get them soon).

I feel sorry for poor Albuquerque area residents and tourists who can't have logo signs to tell them what restaurants, gas stations, hotels, or attractions are available at the next exit. If a major metro area like Phoenix can have them, I don't see why Albuquerque can't. And Phoenix isn't the only major metro area that has them; Denver, Atlanta, Orlando, and Las Vegas also have logo signs on most of their freeways.

I bet if I would ask most Albuquerque residents if whether or not they would support them, I would think I would get mostly positive responses. Most people I know in the Phoenix area support them. It seems the only people who oppose them (for both the Phoenix and Albuquerque areas) are City-Data users.

And still, you should not be using a smartphone while driving at freeway speeds, nor is it legal to park on shoulders to look up services on your phone except in emergencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 11:20 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
Since my last post I've changed my mind. I suggested we don't need these because we have billboards. In fact, I'd rather get rid of billboards completely and go with logo signs exclusively. Billboards are too big and ugly.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:11 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I feel sorry for poor Albuquerque area residents and tourists who can't have logo signs to tell them what restaurants, gas stations, hotels, or attractions are available at the next exit.
Oh really? We figured out how to find the "restaurants, gas stations, hotels, or attractions" without the extra signs... I would like to see some of the ugly billboards which exist go away...

besides, the law against them still exists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Why? Just because Arizona does it New Mexico should? Just what I don't want to see, more advertising on the "freeways".

Maybe because they are not legal?

The Above From:
18.21.4 NMAC
This rule was filed as: 18 NMAC 21.4.

TITLE 18 TRANSPORTATION AND HIGHWAYS
CHAPTER 21 TRAFFIC CONTROL SIGNAGE
PART 4 TOURIST ORIENTED DIRECTIONAL SIGNS (TODS)

It appears they can be used on the Turquoise Trail.

The fees are:
Application $75/per sign 1 time charge
Annual Rental $120.00 per year
www.turquoisetrail.org/nsb/pdf/CMPApdxDv1.pdf

Old 11-20-2015, 02:33 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
With the plethora of smartphones (61% of Americans) and GPS enabled vehicles. I don't see a need for them. Those of us in town don't need them. How many people really travel alone and can't have someone else in the vehicles used said devices to find info. Worse comes to worse, just jump off the freeway and stop and utilized the device. I have done so in the past.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
With the plethora of smartphones (61% of Americans) and GPS enabled vehicles. I don't see a need for them. Those of us in town don't need them. How many people really travel alone and can't have someone else in the vehicles used said devices to find info. Worse comes to worse, just jump off the freeway and stop and utilized the device. I have done so in the past.
Big waste of fuel. Apparently the many businesses who choose sign up to be on logo signs disagree. If logo signs were really unnecessary due to smartphones and GPS, why would businesses even bother to get a position on one of them? The advertising is not free; businesses pay a lot of money to be on one of those signs. Here in the Phoenix area those signs often get full quite easily and frequently require a second sign per direction.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:58 PM

Waste of Fuel? Maybe a 1/4 mile to jump off, locate and jump on if you decide to proceed to another offramp. That's like a thimble worth of fuel.

Besides, most of those that advertise there are chains and large corporations. IMHO, I'd rather find a local place to eat.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post

Besides, most of those that advertise there are chains and large corporations. IMHO, I'd rather find a local place to eat.
You know that most chain restaurants as well as branded gas stations are franchises, right? It is generally the franchise owner, not the company, who pays for logo signs.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
You know that most chain restaurants as well as branded gas stations are franchises, right? It is generally the franchise owner, not the company, who pays for logo signs.
Like I said, I'd rather eat at a local place then at a run-of-the-mill-national-chain-with-no-flavor eatery. With smart phone apps these days, it takes no time to find something local, good, quick and not far out of the way. I travel all over the country. I can't name the last time I was forced to eat at a bland national chain/franchise. You can continue looking for those silly signs to lead you to a bland, boring place to fill your tummy. Thankfully, we have options to direct us to better places.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:53 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it appears that NMDOT's contract with Interstate Logos is currently up for bid, and according to the RFP document, there are provisions to allow logo signs at urban or suburban interchanges as long as adequate sign spacing can be maintained, with the final determination made by NMDOT. I wonder whoever is the selected vendor will install logo signs on Albuquerque freeways.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:01 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
it appears that NMDOT's contract with Interstate Logos is currently up for bid
So, why don't you provide a URL for this alleged "bid"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque