Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:18 AM

362 posts, read 1,719,167 times

Advertisements

Thanks Zoidberg. I like the area E of JT, but haven't seen many home rentals that allow pets in that section of town. Still looking...

I thought I had explored ABQ pretty well when I lived there 2006-2007, but now realize I didn't spend any time in the North Valley (apparently). Some how I made it to Corrales, W Mesa, Balloon Fiesta Park and downtown...all around it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 04:33 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,844 times
If you are speaking of Vista del Norte area its really convenient and in my opinion very nice. There are homes, condos and some rentals...the entire area is new within the past 7-8 years.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:19 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
Would going in another gate at Kirtland work? Either Menaul or Eubank deadends into to the base (forget which it is). If that gate was convenient, you could come down Tramway or Eubank from Paseo.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:25 PM

362 posts, read 1,719,167 times
I'll be at the VA Hospital, so I have to enter thru the hospital entrance off Gibson (essentially where San Mateo meets Gibson) or San Pedro SE

Old 07-12-2009, 10:34 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,094 times
Siesta Hills is right next door. Check it out.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:17 PM

49 posts, read 107,666 times
Default Albuquerque Neighborhood Help Please

Hi. Myself, husband and toddler are moving to Albuquerque next June/July. I've been doing what research I can online to learn more about the city and more specifically where we should look to live. My dh will be working for UNM and will need to be within a 15 minute commute on local roads (not highway driving). We would like a 2 bedroom either in a house or 3 or 4 plex and want to avoid large apartment complexes. We will be renting and have a budget of about $700/month. We need to be in a fairly safe area since we have a child and my dh works ungodly hours so myself and child will be alone mostly. I was told that Nob Hill would be a good area however I'm not sure it would fit in our budget as rents that I've seen on craigslist seem to be more than that. We can be a bit flexible with the budget if absolutly necessary but are weary of over extending ourselves with rent. Can anyone recommend other areas that fit this criteria to look into?

Dh is also thinking about getting a scooter to use for to & from work, which is why I want him to avoid having freeway/highway traffic. Right now we do not own a car and were thinking a scooter might help budget wise instead of getting two cars. Is a scooter a reasonable option of Abq?

Also, I have read online that Albuquerque is a "real" southwestern town. What does that mean?

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:34 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,864 times
A 15 minute commute to UNM and a $700 budget will be a very difficult target to meet.
I'd assume that the $700 figure is more critical than the 15 minute?

Some of the urbanistas should be able to help you out with some rental suggestions
within reasonable distances, but I think that 15 minute criteria is DOA.

Lots of people ride scooters here year round so that shouldn't be a problem.

We're a "real southwestern town" because we all wear six-shooters, vests with silver
conchos and make rude comments in Spanish about Gringos...

Old 08-14-2010, 07:59 PM

49 posts, read 107,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
A 15 minute commute to UNM and a $700 budget will be a very difficult target to meet.
I'd assume that the $700 figure is more critical than the 15 minute?

Some of the urbanistas should be able to help you out with some rental suggestions
within reasonable distances, but I think that 15 minute criteria is DOA.

Lots of people ride scooters here year round so that shouldn't be a problem.

We're a "real southwestern town" because we all wear six-shooters, vests with silver
conchos and make rude comments in Spanish about Gringos...
Ha Ha! Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if I needed to pick up some chaps for the family before we arrived

Well, in actuality, the the 15 min is more important. We currently suffer high rent for proximity to dh's job so it wouldn't be anything new. I was just hoping not to be totally rent poor (a silly dream of mine). We could probably go up to $850 max but I will be sheading tears

Old 08-14-2010, 08:41 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,864 times
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about family rentals that near UNM to have any
specific advice, but hang in for a couple days and I'm sure someone will.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl567 View Post
Hi. Myself, husband and toddler are moving to Albuquerque next June/July.

will be working for UNM and will need to be within a 15 minute commute on local roads (not highway driving).

Can anyone recommend other areas that fit this criteria to look into?

Dh is also thinking about getting a scooter to use for to & from work,

Is a scooter a reasonable option of Abq?

Also, I have read online that Albuquerque is a "real" southwestern town. What does that mean?

Thanks!
Housing near UNM is a common question, these threads may help, but I have no real experience living in that immediate area:

You can try Home: Home Top Tier | UNM Housing for some possible info.

You can also check UNM's off-campus housing website:

The University of New Mexico Off-Campus Housing

Also:
Relocating to UNM for grad school; need housing for under $500

Grad student - moved to Albuquerque.

Scooters are becoming more popular, but if you live close enough, bicycling is also popular.

Well, yes, Albuquerque is a "real" southwestern town. It is in the great SouthWest part of the US. It is a slower pace. If you are from NYC you will find it different. You could walk around with a Cowboy hat, jeans and boots and would not be considered out of place. Bolo ties are popular for men, they are allowed in some sessions of our state government. The food is different. The culture is different, the weather and scenery is great. It is very difficult to explain, but this area is very easy to come to like if you just except it, rather than try to change or criticize it.

Good luck to you and your family!

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque