U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM

27 posts, read 24,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Make sure you understand it completely.

What has the new legislation done?

What you gonna do? Move out of New Mexico?

50% more might be $600 per year? Or whatever....
After looking at the neighbors assessments, it looks like the old man was paying 50% less than his neighbors. The sales price turns out to be comparable w/ the neighboring assessed values. A bit of a relief, but there's definitely a sticker shock after calculating the new estimated taxes.

... and I was only kidding, it's way better than Chicago where the property taxes double every three years, the sales tax is 10% and the state income tax just increased 67%. Plus, let's not forget that the parking meter rates and fines quintupled, in addition to the new taxes on bottled water, soda and candy, and hundreds of new red light cameras popping you $100 every time you don't come to a complete 2 second stop before turning right. After 20 years here, Chicago just sucks. at least I missed the blizzard in February, while I was exploring NM

So what is the new legislature doing? I haven't found much about it in recent news articles. Most recent thing I saw was that it failed.

Summary of 2011 NM legislative session
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 08:11 PM

909 posts, read 1,146,621 times
You will love your "dream home" and the area. What is not right for me could be absolutely perfect for you. You will fall in the love with the neighborhood -- that is for sure! Christmas Eve is wonderful along Ridgecrest Ave because the whole area sets up luminarias. It's stunning. Make sure to drive or walk along Ridgecrest on Christmas Eve at night. I loved living there when I was a tween, teen, and during my college years. It just wouldn't be the right choice for me now with kids, but obviously for many it is still a highly desirable area. Congrats on your offer being accepted!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:45 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,998,285 times
Congratulations! A lot of people on these boards associate all of Southeast ABQ with the "war zone" area, but nothing could be farther from the truth, you will be in a PLUM location (location, location), I hope you enjoy it!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 PM

16,814 posts, read 17,024,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchica View Post
after reading about the "war zone"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes View Post
As far as the "war zone,"
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
associate all of Southeast ABQ with the "war zone" area
There was no "War Zone". It was not official, it was not a defined area, it was just a name some people chose to use possibly because of the high crime areas and some of the undefined areas, or possibly out of sheer ignorance, or possibly because some people enjoy being hateful.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,038,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchica
So what is the new legislature doing? I haven't found much about it
in recent news articles. Most recent thing I saw was that it failed.
Tax Lightning was "cured" in Bernalillo County by Bernalillo County Assessor Karen
Montoya. What she did was to roll back values on homes to levels where they
were before the law took effect, and then add 3 percent for each year since.

You can read this article for more information.

My taxes went up from $3,605 ( also a product of Tax Lighting ) to $4,632 while
my neighbors were paying far less. They were re-set by Ms Montoya to $2,940.

The Speaker of the House considers it perfectly reasonable for there to be two classes
of taxpayers elsewhere in the State of New Mexico. What I'm hoping for is for the lawsuits
to not only roll it back in the entire state, but to have my money refunded for the
unconstitutional overcharge in 2008 and 2009. I'm also hoping he loses his job soon.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 AM

27 posts, read 24,035 times
Thanks Mortimer (and others). It's a bit confusing when coming from a different system. And it's especially confusing during a time of decreasing values.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:55 PM

2,320 posts, read 3,709,755 times
Ridgecrest is one of the only really nice areas in Albuquerque.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:05 PM

5,553 posts, read 9,038,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchica
... it's especially confusing during a time of decreasing values.
I'd like to point out that you misspeeled the word unjust.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:26 PM
N8!

2,447 posts, read 2,148,794 times
I think the east ABQ market has pretty much bottomed out.

I don't know if that is true for the westside though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque