Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,500 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just joined the city-data blog. My wife is in Albuquerque looking for housing. I'm in Ohio arranging to rent our home here. She was taken aback by the sand storms in the NW quadrant yesterday, but I see that this is a spring event. Can anyone recommend a nice area to purchase homes in the $180K to $220K price range? She looked briefly SW, but I see stunted development on Google satellite there (temporary situation?). Also, noticed some SW neighborhood blogs referring to vandalism problems that they are combating with neighborhood watches. Their blog entries seemed very inspiring; Like they love that area and are determined to stick it out. I was just wondering if SW is doable. Like the newer homes, tile roofing and 3 car garages, but I'm sure the affordable pricing may be due to some development issues.

Any help will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,530,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpman57 View Post
Hi, I just joined the city-data blog. ...

Any help will be appreciated!
Welcome to City-Data!

This is actually a forum, and you have created a thread. Blogs are differnt issues, but it does get a bit confusing.

Yesterdays "windstorm" was pretty bad. It got quite irritating. And it was more than just one area, it covered a lot of the whole state. I don't know if it broke any records, but that is life out here. For us, everything else more than makes up for it...

I'm not sure what you mean about stunted development in the SW. Mesa Del Sol development just began after a year or two of not developing... You might search for the word Neighborhood as SW can be very vague. But one warning in order is, consider the Rio Grande which runs North and South. It is a major divider, and being on the wrong side can slow your commute...

Rich

Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,288,438 times
Perhaps some details would help such as:

kids/no kids
work area in the city
outdoor hobbies
desireable commute time
etc

Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,605,171 times
The Southwest Mesa is mainly an area of affordably-priced new homes.

I don't think the growth there is all that stunted. It and the far northwest area are the fastest growing parts of Albuquerque proper. It does have its fair share of abandoned homes and half-finished subdivisions due to the downturn in the economy. But it's not like that's any different from other areas that were booming up until the recession hit.

Those who desire a suburban lifestyle and are somewhat middle class usually pass the Southwest Mesa over for the northwest part of town. But this area is a haven for those who are working class and desire an affordable new home for their family in a suburban setting.

The Southwest Mesa does have its problems but I think those who have passed it up overreact to those problems and leave it with an undeserved bad name for others who might consider living there.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 PM

126 posts, read 268,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Perhaps some details would help such as:

kids/no kids
work area in the city
outdoor hobbies
desireable commute time
etc

Not the OP....but am considering a move to Albuquerque.

2 adults, no Kids (not a fan of kids either, too noisy)
No commute (telecommute).
High speed internet a must!
Likes biking and walking trails (a lot!).
Likes walkable (ie, can reasonably walk to grocery store, Target, etc.)
Looking 4BR, 2/3 Bath, 2 car garage @$300K more or less.
Recommendations?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
N8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPlaneSight View Post
Not the OP....but am considering a move to Albuquerque.

2 adults, no Kids (not a fan of kids either, too noisy)
No commute (telecommute).
High speed internet a must!
Likes biking and walking trails (a lot!).
Likes walkable (ie, can reasonably walk to grocery store, Target, etc.)
Looking 4BR, 2/3 Bath, 2 car garage @$300K more or less.
Recommendations?
Lots of choices for you.

1. NE Heights (around Tramway)
2. Nob Hill (altho might be hard to find a 4 br/2 car garage)
3. NW ABQ - Not so walkable to stores, but a lot of house can be had for the $.
4. Los Lunas might be an option (?)

Old 04-04-2011, 03:31 PM

142 posts, read 322,261 times
4 Hills and surrounding communities is good. I live there and it isn't too long of a walk to grocery stores, a movie theater, and a few random small stores. Target is within reason for a long walk as is Walmart.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:53 PM
N8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b9ev View Post
4 Hills and surrounding communities is good. I live there and it isn't too long of a walk to grocery stores, a movie theater, and a few random small stores. Target is within reason for a long walk as is Walmart.
Vouch for that area.. I like living there too.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:00 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,729,108 times
I am obviously going to vouch for the Four Hills area too since I chose to buy and live there too

However I am not going to walk from my house to Smith's and back, that is one steep hill!

Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,729,108 times
I like N8!'s list but I would add in the Foothills South/North to the mix.

Very close to the trails, nice parks and it is quiet because there is not so much through traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque