U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:57 PM

9 posts, read 6,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have cycled about 4,000 miles a year for the last 4 years, so ~16,000 miles without being hit by a car. I have had a few close calls though, and the sick thing is, both of my close calls involved drivers who were intentionally trying to hit me or at least trying to give me the impression that they didn't care whether I lived or died and wouldn't mind being the direct agent in causing my death. I mean these guys were making direct eye contact while ignoring my right-of-way and even gunning their engines. I once had a guy drive his truck all the way to the curb on the opposing side of the street to run me onto the sidewalk.
It's an open carry state .... just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 08:53 PM

5,554 posts, read 8,808,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL
If they're going to ride in traffic, they need to
obey the speed laws and not hold vehicles up.
You're right about that. There are a lot of whack-jobs operating "vehicles"
in this state and lots of them operate bicycles. My personal philosophy is
along the lines of Zoidberg's. I just assume that everyone is out to get me.

I go out of my way to ride residential streets and multi-use-trails ( they are
not really "bike trails" ). I like the peace, lower stress, and lower risk. It
really doesn't matter if it takes a little longer. I'm not "entitled" to hold up
a line of 20 cars behind me and I don't want to.

You're not paranoid if they ARE out to get you.
One of those 20 cars IS out to get me. I'm sure of it ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL
I am sure one could get by without a car, but NM is such a beautiful
state, that car is necessary to explore and really enjoy all it has to offer.
The thing is; that there are many companies going by the name of Hertz,
Enterprise, etc. that are in business strictly for the purpose of supplying
automobiles to those who would like to use one on an occasional basis.

When I lived without a car in the UNM area and I had out-of-town visitors
that I wanted to haul around the "outlands" I used their services. It is
much much cheaper than owning a vehicle 24x7x365 and less of a headache.

Lots of people post in this thread that in order to drive a car in this state, one has
to actually have title to a car to do it. That is just not so. If you can get by only
driving a car once a week, then you can figure out how to only do it once a month.
Once you reach that point, it's cheaper to rent for a couple of days than to own.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:44 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,912,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
The thing is; that there are many companies going by the name of Hertz,
Enterprise, etc. that are in business strictly for the purpose of supplying
automobiles to those who would like to use one on an occasional basis.

When I lived without a car in the UNM area and I had out-of-town visitors
that I wanted to haul around the "outlands" I used their services. It is
much much cheaper than owning a vehicle 24x7x365 and less of a headache.

Lots of people post in this thread that in order to drive a car in this state, one has
to actually have title to a car to do it. That is just not so. If you can get by only
driving a car once a week, then you can figure out how to only do it once a month.
Once you reach that point, it's cheaper to rent for a couple of days than to own.
I don't think anyone is saying that, in fact the idea of renting has already been mentioned. But then it's not exactly "living without a car" if you need to rent one occasionally. My guess is that the OP seldom if ever rents in Portland, which has much better public transport than ABQ as well as a larger and denser downtown area with more services and entertainment. When I lived without a car in Boston I never had to rent a car.

Living car-free here is probably "realistic" if you are single, physically fit, have little or no social life, work a day job, have no family obligations, and no interests such as playing the cello and going to frequent evening rehearsals across town.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:11 PM

5,554 posts, read 8,808,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63
... renting has already been mentioned. But then it's not exactly
"living without a car" if you need to rent one occasionally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66
... I live without a car, but I scooter everywhere. Rent a car from Enterprise or Zipcar when you need it. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon
I don't have a car and get around fine. ... I rent a car from Enterprise about once a month ...
Well then, somebody better set these two straight.

Or, ... maybe what you are saying is that if you date a car from time to time, that's the same as living with one.
I can see the logic in that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63
Living car-free here is probably "realistic" if you ...
have no ... interests such as playing the cello ...
Right, but you can have an interest in playing the piano and not own a car.

Have you ever tried to load one of those things in a car? I threw my
back out one time doing that. My boogie-woogie was never the same.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:16 PM

2,799 posts, read 4,000,770 times
The Zipcar service also rents by the hour and in more convenient locations to the patamobile.

Based on the title of this thread, the answer is "Yes, if you call that living." That should not be offensive to the carless, as many people do call that living, thank you very much.

Quote:
Living car-free here is probably "realistic" if you are single,
In a committed relationship, married probably also possible if you're both used to the carless lifestyle. The thought of raising children with no car sounds daunting in this city.

Quote:
physically fit,
I see all sorts of busriders who don't look like they'd qualify. Morbidly obese, blind, deaf, elderly.. doesn't seem to stop them.

Quote:
have little or no social life,
With all the parties on or near the UNM campus, this is hard to believe as well.

Quote:
work a day job,
This much is pretty true; and even then it's pretty hard to make it to every employment center.

Quote:
have no family obligations, and no interests such as playing the cello and going to frequent evening rehearsals across town.
The bus driver won't charge you extra for your cello case, and it'll get you in shape. I love the sound of the cello.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 AM

79 posts, read 83,126 times
Thumbs up A lot of good information

Thank you, everyone, for all your great information.

Renting a car has been mentioned, and that is something that I would plan on doing when necessary. I certainly wouldn't want to move down there and never leave the city. Even here in Portland, I would rent a car to get out of town, though I haven't needed to yet, since I have friends with cars.

It seems to me, from what everyone has said, that living in Albuquerque without a car is doable. Maybe not as easy as it is here, but some of the best things in life aren't easy.

I was doing some research on public transportation in ABQ and saw that the Rail Runner Express goes up to Santa Fe. That seems like an easy way to get out of town too. I've never been to Santa Fe, but from what I've heard about it, it seems pretty nice.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:37 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,912,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyduck View Post
Thank you, everyone, for all your great information.

Renting a car has been mentioned, and that is something that I would plan on doing when necessary. I certainly wouldn't want to move down there and never leave the city. Even here in Portland, I would rent a car to get out of town, though I haven't needed to yet, since I have friends with cars.

It seems to me, from what everyone has said, that living in Albuquerque without a car is doable. Maybe not as easy as it is here, but some of the best things in life aren't easy.

I was doing some research on public transportation in ABQ and saw that the Rail Runner Express goes up to Santa Fe. That seems like an easy way to get out of town too. I've never been to Santa Fe, but from what I've heard about it, it seems pretty nice.
You can always try it and see how it works out for you. I would love to live in a city conducive to car-free living again, but for my intents and purposes this isn't one of them. Many bus routes are through by 7 pm, others by 10 pm, so if you want to do any regular evening activity a distance from home you're SOL unless you have a ride or don't mind biking at night. (ABQ was designed with the car in mind, totally different from Boston where a car was more of a hindrance and I seldom felt limited by the public transit--I think Portland falls somewhere between these extremes but closer to Boston).

I have tried ZipCar but there are too few cars available and they are often already reserved when I need them. So I canceled my membership after two years. I would love to see more car-sharing services set up shop here, it makes a lot of sense.

There are bus tours of various kinds available from UNM Continuing Education that explore some of the places of interest around the area, something worth checking out. But if you're a hiking nut you'll be renting cars a lot or bumming rides to access the trails.

And RailRunner to Santa Fe is a great option (you can take your bike on it and ride around Santa Fe). Our Governor has considered putting it on the chopping block, however, so we'll see how it goes. Good luck!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:13 PM

602 posts, read 374,132 times
Albuquerque's awesome without a car. You can go all the way from one end of the city to another without dealing with traffic on the bosque trail, and there's a network based on drainage ditches that's pretty decent, with tons of bike lanes and some 'bicycle boulevards' to help out.

The downside is, Albuquerque's also very much a 'car town' with tons of strip malls, fast food and parking lots and a bad case of bus stigma. The bus system would also be annoying to work with without the bike. Being carless here also seems to be either really 'hard core' or really hard times.

I'd say do it, though. I wish more people would move here without bringing their cars. I'm probably overly optimistic but I think this city has crazy potential to be one of the best cities to be without car. The weather's nicer than a lot of places and it's not too big - you can get from 1 corner of the city to the other in about 1.5 to 2 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque