Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2011, 02:45 PM

24 posts, read 67,340 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving out that way and had some questions:

1. how is the traffic on I-40? I work downtown and currently come down I 25 from alameda. My guess is I 40 traffic is not as bad but have never seen I 40 rush hour first hand.

2. How are the bugs? I hate roaches. Please tell me they are less there than in the city!

3. Is there any place to get decent mexican food? any good restaerants at all?

4. Is the supermarket there way more expensive than the city?

5. Any other thoughts?

6. What's the deal with internet/cable? Is it Dish only?

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 03:59 PM

265 posts, read 804,214 times
Roaches? What are these creatures you speak of??? Seriously, in our 7 years in the East Mountains I've never seen one. (And please, don't bring any with you when you move!) We don't have mosquitoes either, and only very rarely see fleas or ticks on our pets. In high summer there are flies - we live next to a llama farm so we have more than our share, I think. You didn't ask about spiders? This is the kingdom of the spiders. But that's okay, they eat all the other pests.

My husband commutes daily into ABQ, and he says I-40 traffic is *much* easier than I-25. Except when it snows, which isn't nearly as often or as much as west-siders seem to think.

Pete's on 14 has the best Mexican food out here, it's pretty good. Greenside Cafe is the best & most sophisticated restaurant in the East Mtns, followed closely by Katrina's East Mountain Grill, which is country-style: they make one of the best chicken-fried steaks w cream gravy I've ever eaten anywhere (including Texas). Sandia Crust used to be the best pizza in the state, but they've fluctuated lately. North is good, if weird. And The Hollar in Madrid can be wonderful.

The Smith's store in Edgewood is sometimes a few pennies higher on gasoline than the Smith's at Tramway, but the food prices seem to be identical. And the Edgewood Wal-Mart is a supercenter, they beat all Smith's prices, but their Edgewood prices are sometimes higher than those in town. Again, a matter of pennies' difference. Triangle Grocery on 14 is expensive, but they carry luxury and gourmet items - like local goat cheeses and honey - and have an excellent selection of wines & beers.

If you live in one of the communities along 14, like Cedar Crest or Paa-Ko you can get Comcast cable. Otherwise, it'll be Dish or DirecTV. For internet, as TV, some areas get Comcast, all can get Dish, and Qwest DSL is widely available (now).

It's really not like moving to Outer Slobbovia, I promise!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:23 PM

18 posts, read 35,620 times
Are you serious about "spider kingdom"I may be in trouble here.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 AM

265 posts, read 804,214 times
Okay, I'm going to be really really honest: Yes. There's quite a variety of spiders out here, all shapes & sizes. Most are shy and not venomous. I've never seen a brown recluse, but I did find a big fat black widow on my porch last summer.

I look at it this way: we don't have cockroaches, mosquitoes, termites, or very many fleas or ticks. We do have spiders. Personally, I'd rather have spiders than the other critters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque