Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 12:07 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times

Advertisements

I tried Pad Thai Cafe recently but was disappointed. The noodles were a congealed blob on my plate. I prefer noodles that are not all stuck together. Egg rolls so tiny, why did they even bother? Staff very pleasant though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 01:19 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I tried Pad Thai Cafe recently but was disappointed. The noodles were a congealed blob on my plate. I prefer noodles that are not all stuck together. Egg rolls so tiny, why did they even bother? Staff very pleasant though.
Sorry to hear that. I agree that the egg rolls, or the ones that come with the lunch special anyway, are weak (although egg rolls don't matter that much to me to begin with). I have mostly not gotten noodle dishes from Pad Thai Cafe, but I don't remember the ones I've gotten being as described. I can't remember if I've gotten any other noodle dish there besides the pad Thai.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:02 PM

The menu options I can remember trying at Pad Thai Cafe that I thought were outstanding. I had the curries and entrees with rice, not noodles:

Thai Fish Cakes
Green Curry Chicken
Panaeng Catfish
Tom Yum Gai
Laab
Green Curry Fried Rice [I am not a regular fried rice eater, but this is much better than the usual]
Ginger Chicken [Except I would ask for a lot less yellow onion next time]

I haven't been there that often considering how close I live to it and how much I like it, but money has been low and I am typically just not in the area at the times when I am eating out.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:38 PM

859 posts, read 1,361,448 times
Looking forward to my bead-buying trip to Albuquerque in early September, and would love some NM restaurant recommendations. I will mostly be on the east side of I-25, and also in Old Town. Have been to Mary & Tito's and the restaurant at the Pueblo Cultural Center.

I found Papa Felipe's on the web, and it looks pretty good. Would love to try real chile rellenos, and a chile relleno burrito, as well as anything else you can recommend!

Old 07-06-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caili View Post
Looking forward to my bead-buying trip to Albuquerque in early September, and would love some NM restaurant recommendations. I will mostly be on the east side of I-25, and also in Old Town. Have been to Mary & Tito's and the restaurant at the Pueblo Cultural Center.

I found Papa Felipe's on the web, and it looks pretty good. Would love to try real chile rellenos, and a chile relleno burrito, as well as anything else you can recommend!
I don't eat cheese, so I can't make recommendations in the chile relleno department.

I like Duran Central Pharmacy (near Old Town), though I admit they make their tortillas thicker than I prefer. I think they are better after they've soaked up some sauce.

Downtown, I like Cecilia's. A grittier red chile than I usually prefer, but the total package there is great. The chicharones and carne adovada are particularly stellar, but most of their menu isn't far behind (or maybe just as good).

I would rate the red chile at Mary & Tito's higher than the red chile at the other two places, however.

East on I-25:

I don't know how far east that means, but La Salita on Eubank is good. Maybe my favorite sopapillas (leave room for them). If you can't get in, you could try Basil Leaf, a good Vietnamese restaurants in the same strip mall.

Frontier is worth a visit if you haven't been there yet, but I'm not too high on it at the moment. My favorites there these days are the breakfast burrito and posole (which I tend not to eat when the weather is so hot).

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 07-06-2017 at 04:09 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 04:05 PM

312 posts, read 277,254 times
Quote:

Padilla's. Big with the locals. No weekends; no credit cards. Try the combo plate.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:13 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
would love some NM restaurant recommendations. I will mostly be on the east side of I-25, and also in Old Town.

I have been chasing Gil around the area for a few years. Take a look at his reviews/listing: Albuquerque Restaurant Index - Gil's Thrilling (And Filling) Blog

Old 07-06-2017, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,334 times
Default El Mero Mero

Everyone has to try the food truck El Mero Mero Wed - Sat evenings on the corner of Candelaria and Carlisle. Best Mexican City food you can get outside of Mexico or Cali. Seriously. They're not like any other Taco Truck. I had the chicharrón quesadillas. They make their own corn tortillas. Sooo good.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:15 AM

859 posts, read 1,361,448 times
Thanks, all - my mouth is watering already and I have 2 months to go!

My 'east of 25' route will probably include Paseo del Norte NE on the north side, San Mateo on the Eastern end, and Gibson Blvd on the South end. Most of the bead shops are within this area. I'm trying to stay off I-25 so I can see a little of the town, and this route also gets me back to the La Quinta on Yale, where I'm staying.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:51 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
Back in the day I used to get green chile tortilla burgers from a food truck that stopped at the GE plant on Woodward. Are tortilla burgers still popular?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque