Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times

Advertisements

Albuquerque Tortilla Company-- is that place any good? I remember their tortillas for sale in Phoenix but never tried it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 11:28 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Albuquerque Tortilla Company-- is that place any good? I remember their tortillas for sale in Phoenix but never tried it.
I buy tortillas up here in Santa Fe from that company, but never got fresh ones down in ABQ. They must be excellent -- the ones I get are always good!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,802 times
Default Frontier - yummmmmmm

All this talk about Frontier and enchiladas and breakfast burritos and green chile and cinnamon buns is making me hungry!!!!

We need to make a trip down to ABQ in the coming week for some errands ... looks like a lunch at Frontier is needed!!!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:36 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,580 times
Good to know there is some advised Frontier selections.

Went to the Chama River Brewing Co last night.
Tried the tasting flight of beers: really very good stuff. We also had the truffle, blue cheese and bacon fries *lighter than it sounds.* Also the grilled flank steak with a wild mushroom sauce and grilled, seasoned corn of the cob and the roasted chicken with cornbread stuffing and haricot verts.

I was very pleased with the meal!! The steak was excellent and everything was very tasty!! The fries are addictive. Only things: items tend to be highly seasoned, which put off the BF a little. The mushroom sauce was too peppery by far and the chicken a bit dry.

Also the location, which is convenient to the highway, and the decor are not to my tastte. But the host and the server were very nice and did a good job. And the beers are good! Four stars!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:37 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Agreed on the burrito and gc cheeseburger, Convict, however, I think you are shortchanging:

2. Those tortillas. I used to buy the bags of warm, fresh tortillas of 12 or whatever and take 'em home...eat 'em with gobs of honey on top. You can be absolutely sure that some of these are coming back to Milwauke with me.

3. Gringo breakfast items. Just their regular egg plates, their pancakes, and their hashbrowns - all very, very good. (Throw some of the hot chile in the roasting vats over the hashbrowns...good Lord, I am hungry now).
OK, now I have to agree with these points, EnjoyEP. I don't buy tortillas at the supermarket. Albuquerque Tortilla Company is probably the BEST store-bought brand available but they are a waste of money if you can get Frontier tortillas. Period.

Also, I would rather have Frontier breakfast than any other breakfast in town (Weck's, Denny's, IHOP, Village Inn).

I guess what I'm saying is: THE FRONTIER RULES.

I do feel compelled to state here, for the benefit of out-of-towners, that the Frontier is a diner and its food has to be regarded as diner interpretations of the dishes. I have heard people say things like, "Oh Frontier enchilada plate can't compare to Los Cuates/Sadies, etc." and I agree, but when I get back to Albuquerque from an extended out-of-state trip, I want nothing more than the ambrosia of a Frontier tortilla dipped into the red chile and melted cheese corona that embraces those lovely melty enchiladas on that chipped plate that I have probably eaten off of a dozen times in the last 18 years.

ABQConvict

Old 01-31-2009, 12:11 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,217,092 times
Does Chama River still have the cigar bar?

Old 01-31-2009, 05:34 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Does Chama River still have the cigar bar?
I didn't notice one, but I might have missed it. There was no mention of it on the menu.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:45 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,659 times
I believe Chama River still has the cigar bar. It is owned by the same people who own the Blue Corn and Rio Chama in Santa Fe.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:10 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,711,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
I believe Chama River still has the cigar bar. It is owned by the same people who own the Blue Corn and Rio Chama in Santa Fe.
I like the Chama River well enough for what it is in ABQ; always love a good brewpub. However, it was better when it was still the Blue Corn...the Blue Corn on I-25 and Jefferson and its Indian Frybread Taco was what initally popped ol' EnjoyEP's New Mexican cuisine virginity...and what a way to go.

I wish they'd kept the Blue Corn alive, well, and functional there.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I wish they'd kept the Blue Corn alive, well, and functional there.
Gosh, It's been gone for years, I guess, I can't remember. But we really liked the Blue Corn, tried to visit a few times per year and I enjoyed taking out of town friends there....

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque