Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:03 PM

801 posts, read 2,203,273 times

Advertisements

Okay...my wife and I were planning a move from our ABQ neighborhood to a few acres on the east side of the Sandia Mountains...but it just isn't going to happen. Overall, our neighborhood in ABQ is still nice, but, the retired folks are moving away and younger families have been moving in. Each new family seems to come with 1-2 dogs, and those dogs hang out all day and bark at everything that moves while their owners are away at work. It's not like any of them bark constantly...they don't. But...what used to be a quiet neighborhood has changed. My wife and I are retired...so we get to hear them. I have no intention of attempting to fight an ongoing battle with any of the owners as we are just about the only people left who don't have a couple of dogs.

So...I know that we've become an enigma and perhaps it's unrealistic to think we can ever find another quiet neighborhood without having more acreage. My question....are there ANY neighborhoods remaining in ABQ where one would not have to encounter this problem? Someone once told me Tanoan does not put up with barking dogs...but I have no idea if they knew what they were talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 09:50 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,138,539 times
I think it's pretty safe to say that if any such neighborhood existed, it would only be a matter of weeks after you move into it before new neighbors bringing barking dogs will follow you. This sounds like a problem you can run from but you can't hide from, and you're better off being proactive about it.

One solution might be to upgrade your house's windows and insulation. Unless you're the outdoor sort, being able to tune out the outside world (but not so much that you're completely out of it) is huge. I have extremely sharp hearing but I don't hear barking dogs most of the time, even though I'm surrounded by them. The secret is a well-insulated house.

Getting to know your new neighbors and their dogs might make a dent in the annoyance factor, as well. If a dog is just being a dog, knowing the dog helps your subconscious tune the dog out (or in, if the dog starts up at 3AM you'll know there's someone in your neighborhood who might not be supposed to). Once you have a pretty good idea of who has what dogs where, your being friendly and up-front with the neighbor about the visibility of passersby to the dog and your concerns for the dog's well-being while the owners are away perhaps warranting a visual barrier might be good for the dog and the neighborhood's quiet enjoyment of the neighborhood. Remember what they say about flies, honey, and vinegar (they're all sticky!)

Old 05-28-2011, 10:27 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,675,194 times
The quietest neighborhood I've encountered in Albuquerque is where all the Mossman homes are clustered (Montgomery / Pennsylvania area).

That neighborhood seems to have a lot of retirees, and larger private yards coupled with well-built homes make for a very quiet area. I've had a family member in that area my entire life and cannot recall a single time inside the home or even in the back yard where neighbors or their pets could be heard. The houses are nice too (nice layouts, well built, etc). My husband always comments about how eerily quiet it is in that neighborhood.

Here is a link with some info: http://www.pamgentry.com/mossman_homes/highlands.htm

PS: I don't know the realtor on that web site - her site just happens to have a nice description of that neighborhood.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:02 PM

305 posts, read 767,125 times
Marmom,

We will be in ABQ in a week and a half and will definitely check out that neighborhood! Thanks for the tip. Here in Denver, we live in kid central suburbia and there are kids screaming their heads off on the trampoline in our back neighbor's yard for hours every day. It is driving me crazy. I cannot wait to move. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that hubby will like the job situation in ABQ.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:20 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,218,755 times
You might consider retiring to a farm. I did. The solitude is magnificent and, although an occasional visit by the grandkids can be nice, it is occasional.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the comments. Zoidberg...actually we are about to upgrade the windows. But the dogs really don't bother us when we are inside anyway. Our yard is about 2/3 acre...and the nearest house behind us (one of the few remaining without dogs) is about 400 feet away. So, we have a very nice, private backyard that's an oasis. We have huge shade trees and like to cook out and sit on the patio...so that's when we hear the little yappers crank up all around us. We used to be able to just sit out in the shade and listen to the birds. It was great for the first 12 years we were here...but has gradually gone to the dogs.

High Plains...I used to grow quite a garden when we lived in Mississippi. I could enjoy a farm. But, it would hard to talk my wife into that.

Marmom...thanks for the link. We know some people in that area, and their yards have been very quiet every time we have visited them. Unfortunately, all it takes is one new family in just the wrong location. Maybe I better investigate acreage on the east side of the mountains one more time.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:28 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,138,539 times
With such a large yard and a penchant for enjoying the outdoors, have you considered installing a waterfall? The white noise can be very soothing (and can drown out the barking).

Old 05-29-2011, 11:11 AM

I have never considered that...but I will check it out. Reminds me of when I was in college in a party dorm. I used to study by putting my headphones on...tuning the radio "off station" and cranking up the white noise.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:44 AM

305 posts, read 767,125 times
Good luck, Mr. Good. Hope you find that tranquility you are looking for. We're searching for that same thing, and it's definitely not easy to locate. If you find someplace devoid of noisy neighbors, please let us know. I'm sure many of us (quiet folk) will follow you there. ; )

Old 05-29-2011, 12:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,075,985 times
I've gotten so accustomed to cranking up the white noise when I go to sleep that I can hardly do without it. That is in response to a neighbor I used to have who had three barking dogs. I just don't get people who let them bark and ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque