Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 AM

108 posts, read 264,421 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are considering moving back to NM after I finish a graduate program and are considering living in Corrales. We will have two elementary school aged kids. I grew up in ABQ and have spent many of the last 15 years there, but we're looking for something safer, quieter, and more rural. I know the commute between Corrales and ABQ is dreadful, but we may be commuting to Rio Rancho instead. I've always loved visiting Corrales and have had good friends who lived there long ago, but I've never ventured much beyond the main drag.

Can anyone comment on how it is to raise kids in Corrales these days? Are there still places kids (older elementary and middle school) can roam and adventure a bit? Is it a kid-friendly and family-friendly community? Is there any kind of 4-H organization there?

How is Corrales elementary school? We'll have a 5th grader and a 1st grader, so I'm interested in all grade levels really. (I know it must be plagued by budget cuts like the rest of APS.) I have read the reviews on greatschools already but would appreciate additional input.

Is Corrales the kind of place that generally supports the ability to stay in Corrales, or are people always having to go to Rio Rancho or ABQ for shopping, low-key entertainments, and other needs? (I mean shopping for groceries and other necessities, not "Shopping." Also, we are very casual, outdoorsy people who don't require much in the way of "entertainment" but the option of an occasional movie, concert, library event, or meal out is nice to have.)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:56 AM

277 posts, read 682,116 times
Can't comment on kids or kid-specific organizations/activities, and we've had the same questions about Corrales and schools. I do know that the commute seems difficult, with those 1 or 2 single lane, 25-mph roads to get out of Corrales. If you'd have any kind of job where getting to work on time is of utmost importance, I'd personally be a little nervous about that - it's probably why we haven't looked more seriously at making Corrales our home.

Other than that, I do like Corrales and think the pace of life and everything else about being outside in Corrales would be very nice for kids and adults. It feels very home-y and lends itself to many wonderful outdoor pursuits. I personally would probably make a weekly trip into Albuquerque/Rio Rancho for groceries, but I'd take advantage of their nice farmer's market when I could. It's close enough to do the occasional movie/library/dinner in ABQ or RR as well.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:19 AM

305 posts, read 770,053 times
Default Corrales with Kids

Naport, I'm so glad you posted this. We are in a very similar situation and I have the exact same questions.

I lived in Corrales for a couple of years over a decade ago and loved it, but that was before marriage and kids. I've been trying to get my family back there but am definitely concerned about what the environment would be like for kids, particularly the school situation.

I know Corrales Elementary is rated pretty highly on Greatschools.net, but I would love to hear the perspectives of other parents who have kids at the school. Does it have a gifted/accelerated program within the school? And how is Taylor Middle School? I think that's the school Corrales Elem feeds into.

I'd love to talk more with you about our respective situations so feel free to send me a DM if you'd like.

Looking forward to any responses! : )

Old 06-21-2012, 04:30 PM

6 posts, read 7,569 times
I am also looking to move to the Albuquerque area. Coming from a small town I was interested in Corrales or south valley area. Does anyone have any information about near by hospitals or nursing homes; I m a registered nurse. Also I m a single mother and my one year old would need daycare. Any advise would be greatly appreciated thx everyone.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:46 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyjogger12 View Post
I am also looking to move to the Albuquerque area. Coming from a small town I was interested in Corrales or south valley area. Does anyone have any information about near by hospitals or nursing homes; I m a registered nurse. Also I m a single mother and my one year old would need daycare. Any advise would be greatly appreciated thx everyone.
You probably could have asked this question in your initial thread also. Corrales is a nice little rural community with some very expensive homes. You can find some that are not so. Near Corrales there are Lovelace Westside Hospital and Presbyterian Rust Medical Center. There is also a Hospital being built in Rio Rancho by the University of New Mexico. There are several nursing and assisted living facilities not far from Corrales also.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM

6 posts, read 7,569 times
Thanks probably best bet to see if I can even get a job first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque