Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:40 PM

163 posts, read 376,543 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't move into an apartment sight unseen, let alone a new city. There is so much more in the experience of living in a city that cannot be conveyed through the internet, no matter how much research you do. I've found, at least in my personal experience, that until you have a physical experience in a place, you'll project expectations onto it in your mind, for better or worse. I've never been to Seattle, I'd like to visit, I might like to move there someday. In my mind, Seattle is beautiful, green, mild, young, hip, intelligent, etc. There's probably some part truth to that, but I can't help (as I suspect most people) romanticizing far off locations. It's new and exciting and all that. It's just what people do.

So, it's important to have a real, on the ground experience (or experiences) to ground your expectations accordingly. Likewise, if people are forced to move somewhere (job transfer, sick family member, etc.) and are less than enthused about it, a real world visit can help dispel some of the negative perceptions. If you think an area you've never visited is high crime or run down, your mind, I promise you, will fabricate a much more horrid vision than could ever exist. Tucson is high crime, Albuquerque is high crime, St. Louis, Detroit, Newark, Riverside, Birmingham-- all high crime. But people go about their lives. It's never "that bad."

So, as a short answer, it's important to visit a place to get a real perception of a place. I could give you a detailed account of life in Albuqeurque, but you could have a completely alien experience. I might be a real optimist, and it turns out life in Albuquerque really isn't so great, in your eyes. So before committing to life in a new city, it's important to really know that it's right for you.

Now, about the job thing, that's a bit more debatable. If you have a high standard of living, it'd be advisable to have a job lined up. Presumably, because of your high standard of living, you have a certain set of skills that are in demand or pay well, in which case, you'd be more able to set up a job from across the country. If you're accustomed to life on minimum wage or close to it (like myself) you'd probably be able to move with just savings. The problem would be getting an apartment without a job (and hence, income verification.) It wouldn't be a bad idea, if this is your situation, to get an extended stay motel for a month, and apply to jobs with a local address, McDonald's, Wal-Mart, anything like that. Then you can more easily get an apartment (this also has the benefit of letting you get a real feel for the layout of the city, and pick a place to live permanently with a little more knowledge.)

To cut a rambling post a little bit short, I'd definitely suggest visiting ABQ before you move there. I did, and I found out it wasn't for me. It's certainly beautiful and has a lot going for it, but I ultimately decided it just wasn't the right place to live. I'd advise you to do the same, there's nothing that could be hurt by just making absolutely sure you're in love with where you're going. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 11:39 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
After visiting a town about three times on vacation (mostly passing through or as a stop over) we decided we wanted to move there. We scheduled a longer visit to look at property and get a more complete picture and decided it was too 'touristy' for us....so what might look good at first could be what turns you against a place.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:18 PM

963 posts, read 2,301,437 times
Having lived in places as disparate as New York City and Albuquerque, may I make the following observation: It is what you make it, no matter where you go. Granted, each place has its overall personality. However, how you interact with and view people has far more to do with your enjoyment of a place than the people you discover. Albuquerque is quite friendly and down-to-earth. However, you will also find plenty of exceptions to that rule. The key is what you focus on. Focus on the negative and it will drive you crazy. Look for the positive and pretty much anywhere life takes you will be an adventure.

Your willingness to explore is a great asset. Having youth on your side is a plus too. If you are determined to grow as you explore and learn to embrace the different types of people you meet as you travel, life will be good (indeed, very good!). Having lived in New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, and Arizona, I have fond memories of them all. I've also had my share of bad experiences. However, I prefer to focus on the good. Bad experiences will be inevitable no matter where you go. Plan as best you can. Then, get a camera, keep a diary, and enjoy the journey!

I kept a photo journal from my years spent in Albuquerque (http://stylepeterson.com/photos.htm - broken link) you may find worth a look here.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:16 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanabq View Post
i'm going to go ahead and say you're young, not tied down, and our weather is more moderate than a great majority of the country. You seem to have an open mind and I think you'd be fine here. If not then there's always the option of moving back in with the 'rents

An open mind and an empty head are not the same thing.

OP-
Saying it's okay if you end up homeless? Yeah. Okay. Spend ONE cold winter night out in the desert with nothing other than a cardboard box (if you're lucky) for protection and then tell me it's okay or 'easier'.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:43 PM

167 posts, read 598,345 times
Kudos the the last few posters who took the time to really explain the answers to the questions posed by OP. Hopefully the OP will be back to see and read them.

The OP really reminds me of my 25 year old son, who if he still could, would be living at home with me. ***Another reason I moved here 5 years ago. ****

Growing up is often hard to do, and we all bloom at different times. Some kids are adults at 18-19 and sadly some never grow up. I hope and pray that the OP spreads his wings and flys away from home but with common sense, and some planning not just a ranting on about his miserable life at home. Change can be good but all change is often hard and a huge life change such as a move across half way across the Country can challenge even the strongest and most prepared.

Or is it I am just getting old and have forgotten my sense of adventure and what it is like to be 27???

Old 06-20-2011, 07:13 PM

25 posts, read 33,486 times
you can easily survuve out here if your homeless. The toughest thing you'll encounter out here is the winter. You'll need shelter for most of the winter but spring isn't too bad summer are hot but nice to sleep in at night and fall is my favorite season here perfect ten. Abq will feed u clothe u bathe u whatever ur in need of abq will do it for u.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:48 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
Relocating with a back up plan of homelessness because a place is ideal for being homeless is perhaps the dumbest sentiment I've heard expressed on City-Data.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 PM

167 posts, read 598,345 times
If the OP really wants to use his plan of homelessness as a back up plan, he needs to consider a climate that has no exteme temps as we do here- perhaps Maui where he can live on the beach. I have known people who have done so, but not forever.

Avocado's are currently selling there for 8$ a piece, so while you may stay warm- you could also get very hungry!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
All sorts of crap probably washes up on the beach. You could eat some of it if it had not been dead too long.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 AM

23 posts, read 52,352 times
SalzDeu1291,

I believe that you will fit right in if you move to Albuquerque. In fact, you already remind me of local Albuquerque celebrity Don Schrader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque