U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 04:16 PM

4 posts, read 1,616 times

Advertisements

Most everyone (all over city-data, at least) says, "I strongly advise you to visit [insert city] before moving here." But why? I mean, the pioneers in the 19th century hiked cross country to places like OR and CA sight unforeseen, right? I would REALLY like to move to Albuquerque, NM; even though I've never actually been there, it's not sight TOTALLY unforeseen. I HAVE been to SOUTHERN NM - I visited Las Cruces, T or C, and Roswell. Is northern NM "different" than southern NM? One can certainly say that about Virginia, where I grew up.
Which brings me to my next point...I HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO get out of Northern Virginia. I only live here "because my parents live here". Sure, I grew up here, and it was a great place growing up, but now there are too many snobs from out-of-state bringing their rude habits with them, so NoVA (or all of DC for that matter) is not friendly anymore. However, on city-data.com, much has been said about the friendliness of the citizens of ABQ (or NM in general)! On my trip to southern NM, I didn't encounter anyone rude (one exception is a guy in Roswell who threw a bottle at me out of his window while driving by). But of course, I only interacted with a tiny fraction of the people.
Unlike DC, ABQ is not known as a "city to move to", so I imagine there aren't too many out-of-staters causing problems, right? Do you ABQ/Santa Fe residents see many out-of-state plates (CA and TX would be obvious, but I'm talking from all over)? At any rate, though, I'm sure there'll always be locals causing problems.
I have some in savings, but I DO NOT CARE if I end up homeless on the streets...I'll be sleeping in the sand in the NM desert before I EVER move back to VA again. At least ABQ has (relatively) mild winters, so it's "easier" to be homeless there. I don't even have a car, but I hope to get a good bike, because I know ABQ is bike-friendly.
There's no law that says I HAVE to visit a city before moving there, right? So why does everybody "strongly advise" it? If I liked southern NM, will I like ABQ/Santa Fe? I don't see how visiting would help anyway; I visited San Antonio, TX before moving there. I absolutely LOVED visiting, but when I actually moved there, I ended up HATING it after a couple of months and had to move back in with my parents.
I have to get out of my parents' house and out of the DC area; yes, I DO depend on geographic location to be happy; DC was built on swamp land, while ABQ has blue skies (with a good Milky Way view at night - something never obtained in suburban DC!) and mountains. Hot summers, yes, but it's DRY heat, something I can manage. I've lived in TX, as stated, which seems a lot like NM anyway. And even though I didn't like San Antonio, I also lived in Austin and liked it a lot better and now I miss it. Now, I have been told, "That happiness you're looking for has to come from 'within', coz if you ain't happy with yourself here in Virginia, you ain't going to be much happier wherever it is you're going." Well, what about people who move to a new city and are SO MUCH happier and it's the "best decision they ever made"?
I'm also sick of everyone saying, "Don't move anywhere without a job!" If I apply for jobs in ABQ from my parents' house in VA, the only response I'm going to get (if any response at all) is: "We don't hire out-of-staters." or "Local candidates only, please." (I know because others on city-data.com have tried this - applying for jobs out of state). Besides, as cliche as this sounds, people say, "If you hate [insert city] so much, then move!!" It makes no sense to me living in a miserable city like DC. I'm 27 years old, hence too old to be living at home anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 04:36 PM

2,804 posts, read 4,337,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalzDeu1291 View Post
Most everyone (all over city-data, at least) says, "I strongly advise you to visit [insert city] before moving here." But why? I mean, the pioneers in the 19th century hiked cross country to places like OR and CA sight unforeseen, right?
Yup. Like the Donner Party.

As far as the why, perhaps people tire easily of newbie complainers. Not saying that's you, but many have come before you.

Quote:
Is northern NM "different" than southern NM?
Yes and no. Mild differences. Not life-changing ones. Unless you're homeless, anyway.

Quote:
now there are too many snobs from out-of-state bringing their rude habits with them
That resonates with the people here; although I guess there are plenty of locals too who could stand to get some better habits.

Quote:
Unlike DC, ABQ is not known as a "city to move to", so I imagine there aren't too many out-of-staters causing problems, right? Do you ABQ/Santa Fe residents see many out-of-state plates (CA and TX would be obvious, but I'm talking from all over)?
Not many, and most of our "problem" people are local.

Quote:
At least ABQ has (relatively) mild winters, so it's "easier" to be homeless there.
See above regarding Donner party.

If you want to lead a homeless lifestyle, I don't recommend Albuquerque. The winters will probably be very disappointing to someone from Virginia and wanting a change. They are dry but they are just about as cold.

Quote:
I don't even have a car, but I hope to get a good bike, because I know ABQ is bike-friendly.
It could be a lot worse than it is, but it could also be much more bikeable.

Quote:
There's no law that says I HAVE to visit a city before moving there, right? So why does everybody "strongly advise" it?
See above regarding malcontents.

Quote:
I visited San Antonio, TX before moving there. I absolutely LOVED visiting, but when I actually moved there, I ended up HATING it after a couple of months and had to move back in with my parents.
Maybe it's not so much visiting you should reconsider but moving.

Quote:
I have to get out of my parents' house and out of the DC area; yes, I DO depend on geographic location to be happy; DC was built on swamp land, while ABQ has blue skies (with a good Milky Way view at night - something never obtained in suburban DC!)
While the sky isn't as bad at night as say, Phoenix, you need a good hour out of town to get that mocha color to go away and see the stars as nature intended.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:14 PM

17,453 posts, read 18,525,729 times
Quote:
Most everyone

I'm 27 years old, hence too old to be living at home anyway.
You are 27 and still at home? Well, drop everything and come on out!

Rich

Photo Contests Open For Posting Entries:
November 2014 "Theme" Contest
November 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest

Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,299,867 times
Quote:
apply for jobs in ABQ from my parents' house in VA, the only response I'm going to get (if any response at all) is: "We don't hire out-of-staters." or "Local candidates only, please." (I know because others on city-data.com have tried this - applying for jobs out of state)..
Not true. If you can offer what a company is looking for, they will hire you. They did my husband. They flew him out for an interview and the rest is history. You just need to have the skill/talent they are looking for. If you're applying for a min. wage job, then naturally they will hire locally first.

I wouldn't want to move any where with the frame of mind that I wouldn't care if I was homeless. I think you would care very, very much if you were.

I would tell someone to visit first to get a feel of NM, and to job and home search. My husband came out and was able to know we would like it here, so it wasn't necessary for me to come out. However, we are now looking at relocating to Silver City, and I intend to check the area out first to see if I would like it there.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:29 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,434,398 times
Fail.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 PM

316 posts, read 437,058 times
Go for it! Take a Chance the adventure is worth it. I did and love NM. Best decision that I've made in this decade. Things always work out somehow.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:42 PM

167 posts, read 359,174 times
Ha! Our winter was bitterly cold this year. Pipes froze and it was well below zero! The Summers get beastly hot. I do think you would care if you were homeless. If you are intent, then come late Summer and get a place before the Winter so you dont end up frozen on the streets of ABQ or in a shelter. I do hope there are homeless shelters here during the Winter but I have heard of people freezing to death up in Santa Fe.

Zoidberg- above comments--priceless!

Old 06-19-2011, 10:10 PM

58 posts, read 127,669 times
Why do most people say, "I would strongly advise you to visit this city before moving"?

That advice is usually offered when someone posts that "I hate this" or "I have to have that", or they exhibit strong desires or opinions. You've already said you've ended up hating places after you'd been there a while. ABQ could end up being the same. Wise decisions aren't made in desperation.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:35 PM

393 posts, read 247,062 times
"I strongly advise you to visit [insert city] before moving here."

That is good advice generally. People living in a city know that not everyone would want to live there -- it may be too dry, too wet, too crowded, too rural, too expensive, or too polluted. Personally, I don't think that one visit is enough if you are moving your entire family but one visit might be enough for a single person.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 PM

133 posts, read 166,998 times
i'm going to go ahead and say you're young, not tied down, and our weather is more moderate than a great majority of the country. You seem to have an open mind and I think you'd be fine here. If not then there's always the option of moving back in with the 'rents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque