Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 13,425 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm moving to New Mexico from Illinois and need advice on housing. I've been looking mostly for a studio or 1 bedroom apartment within 10-15min drive of UNM. I'm a little worried about the area and want to know neighborhoods/apartment complexes to avoid. Most importantly I want somewhere clean and SAFE... doesn't have to be a huge apartment. Also with parking in the parking lot not on the street.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 02:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
As a starter you can look here:
Home: Home Top Tier | UNM Housing

The University of New Mexico Off-Campus Housing
Also these threads:

Relocating to UNM for grad school; need housing for under $500

Grad student - moved to Albuquerque.

Rich

Old 06-26-2011, 06:08 PM

244 posts, read 298,935 times
Pick up the newspaper (if your local library carries it), or go to craigslist. Search all the databases you can find.

My suggestion to you is to find off-campus housing in what is called the student ghetto. I know that sounds daunting but it is only a name given by students who are traditionally without jobs and need cheap housing. You can walk to campus and park your vehicle in your own driveway. The only down side to this is roommates - sometimes the situation works and sometimes they don't. The up side is that you will have a place to stay for a semester while you find your bearings and decide where you'd like to stay for the longer term. Most of these situations will only require rent for the term, not a year lease that you cannot get out of if you wanted to. This gives you a little freedom.

There can be random crime anywhere in the neighborhood of the university, but that doesn't mean that it is dangerous. The area is a haven for slackers and jobless types. That comes with the territory - this isn't Stanford or Pasadena. But just about everybody respects students, as well as looks out for them.

If you must drive and want to live fifteen minutes away, you can live miles away - nowhere in this city is very far away. I lived in the Citadel apartments when I was an undergrad (on University Ave) - clean and no frills, but this was twenty-five years ago. Don't look too far south of the campus. Go east or north. The downtown area is close and does have some good deals, but it is also an area with a lot of late night activity that might keep you awake.

Also, use google earth when you find an address. This is a great tool to be able to see what the place looks like before you go there. I'd be happy to look at anything you find and give you an opinion of the neighborhood. Just use your snipping tool to copy the photo and send it along.

Good luck.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:44 PM

Thumbs up Re: manquaman and Poncho_NM

Thanks for the advice. I've compiled a list of all these apartment complexes. I would love to be able to jump a bus instead of driving... but I get a free parking spot... I'm guess I'm not considered a grad student or and under grad... more like a research assitant/ grad student. I'm only going to be in Albuquerque for a year and then moving on to grad school elsewhere (maybe alb.) so I would like a 12 month lease.
This website Albuquerque Apartments for Rent - Albuquerque, NM - within 5 miles on ApartmentGuide.com has most of the apartments at which I've been looking. Any advice would be helpful!!!!!

Sun VillageCandlelight SquareVista Del SolThe pearl at spring creekvilla aprtmentsIndian PlazaGirard apartmentsSummit ApartmentsThe lidoCitadelColumbian ApartmentsVarsity ApartmentsKachina ApartmentsLa MarianaThe LakesDesert Creek ApartmentsAlvarado apartmentsUniversity Studio apartments

Old 06-27-2011, 12:16 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Relocating to UNM for grad school; need housing for under $500 (Albuquerque: apartment complexes, rentals)
This thread was started 05-25-2008, 03:49 PM. Nothing in there has changed. Nothing in
there has changed for the past 20 years and will probably not change for the next 20 years.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:22 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmena337 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I've compiled a list of all these apartment complexes. I would love to be able to jump a bus instead of driving... but I get a free parking spot... I'm guess I'm not considered a grad student or and under grad... more like a research assitant/ grad student. I'm only going to be in Albuquerque for a year and then moving on to grad school elsewhere (maybe alb.) so I would like a 12 month lease.
This website Albuquerque Apartments for Rent - Albuquerque, NM - within 5 miles on ApartmentGuide.com has most of the apartments at which I've been looking. Any advice would be helpful!!!!!

Sun VillageCandlelight SquareVista Del SolThe pearl at spring creekvilla aprtmentsIndian PlazaGirard apartmentsSummit ApartmentsThe lidoCitadelColumbian ApartmentsVarsity ApartmentsKachina ApartmentsLa MarianaThe LakesDesert Creek ApartmentsAlvarado apartmentsUniversity Studio apartments
Calibri, could you look at your post after posting (or preview it)? Don't try and make it fancy.

Rich

Old 06-27-2011, 05:20 PM

Sorry Rich... totally unintentional... was copying and pasting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque