U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 8,941 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Albuquerque, but I haven't lived there in over 19 years. Well I have received a job offer I just can't refuse (especially in this economy) and will be moving back HOME in August 2011. I'm looking to rent for the 1st year or so until I can get settled/get my feet on solid ground, then buy a house. In searching for a rental I came upon one located in Martineztown. Martineztown was not considered a good or safe neighborhood when I was growing up in ABQ, especially in the early 90's. Has Martineztown changed? Is it a safe/low crime area? Is it gang infested? Any thoughts on the neighborhood would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 PM

484 posts, read 830,197 times
I would say it has changed somewhat. It is an old, historic, largely traditional hispanic area that is still pretty poor, but doesn't seem to have alot of crime issues. The neighborhood has great access to UNM and downtown, and some newer townhomes can be found along with the small, old adobes.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 AM

350 posts, read 593,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQHome View Post
I was born and raised in Albuquerque, but I haven't lived there in over 19 years. Well I have received a job offer I just can't refuse (especially in this economy) and will be moving back HOME in August 2011. I'm looking to rent for the 1st year or so until I can get settled/get my feet on solid ground, then buy a house. In searching for a rental I came upon one located in Martineztown. Martineztown was not considered a good or safe neighborhood when I was growing up in ABQ, especially in the early 90's. Has Martineztown changed? Is it a safe/low crime area? Is it gang infested? Any thoughts on the neighborhood would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
It's a really neat neighborhood and probably has about as much crime and gang activity as any other part of downtown - not a lot (unless you're a crack dealer or a criminal). It's a really quiet area. If you're not convinced and still looking for a cheap place to rent downtown, take a look in Barelas. It's probably a bit more fixed up and diverse than Martineztown and you'd be the same distance from everything.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:59 PM

244 posts, read 227,581 times
I have a buddy who just moved there after spending ten years in the British Virgin Islands. We met in the heart of San Francisco where we both lived.

He says he likes the neighborhood, but when I visit it doesn't seem like anything but a forgotten area. I never see children playing in or around the houses out there. In fact, I don't think I ever see any people outside when I go to visit him - maybe a jogger here and there.

I think he likes it there because he works all the time. He leaves his dogs in the back yard and is gone thirteen hours a day, six days a week.

If you are renting it probably won't matter what the neighborhood is like, unless you drive a car that is worth stealing or breaking into. If the place fits your needs you should do it. A year is nothing, even in a sketchy neighborhood. You'll spend your free time looking for a the right place to buy and figuring out the continuation of your life.

I always suggest downloading google earth to see exactly what the neighborhood looks like. And since you have lived here before, you can tell what a sketchy neighborhood looks like. The picture resolution on Google Earth is excellent, and you can "walk" around your neighborhood from the comfort of your favorite chair right now.

Congratulations on the new job!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:17 PM

295 posts, read 457,395 times
I grew up in that area, of course in those days... it was alot safer. Today, Martineztown is riddled with violence. It's a poor area, and not very attractive anymore. But there are other great areas to mention if you would like to live in downtown. The Huning Highlands, and Huning Castle neighborhoods are alot nicer.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:21 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,012,101 times
Congrats on the job offer!

I've been inside a couple of the townhouses just off Edith between Roma and Fruit, they are really nice, I wouldn't mind renting one of those. I knew a single woman who lived there (maybe still does) and liked it a lot. Much of the rest of that area looks pretty shabby but there may be some good finds. Because of the location near hospitals and downtown you will have some transients around. The "Southwest Pieta" sculpture by Jimenez is there in a small park, I think Hillary Clinton stopped there for a photo op several years ago:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque