U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-01-2011, 12:34 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,188,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieBelize View Post
I drive the ABQ->Austin route regularly, two or three times a year, most recently in April. I've tried all three routes suggested here, and I *much* prefer the Austin-Abilene-Lubbock-Clovis-ABQ route. It's the shortest and the fastest, and is marginally more interesting scenery-wise.
Ditto to everything that MaggieBelize said (except that I *used* to drive between the two cities - not any more though). It was a 12 hour drive with quite a bit of stop and go - but still faster than the other routes using major highways. I don't recall any horribly long stretches without civilization, and the highways were always nice...even the smaller ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-01-2011, 01:17 PM

310 posts, read 290,251 times
Quote:
I drive the ABQ->Austin route regularly, two or three times a year, most recently in April. I've tried all three routes suggested here, and I *much* prefer the Austin-Abilene-Lubbock-Clovis-ABQ route. It's the shortest and the fastest, and is marginally more interesting scenery-wise.
I have good friends in Austin who visit here at least 3 times a year, and they've settled on this route as well...

-Z

Unread 07-01-2011, 02:24 PM

5,552 posts, read 8,385,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat
Maybe I would take the two-lane if I knew there wasn't a lot of traffic.
When in doubt take the route with the personal recommendation.

Driving between Phoenix and Albuquerque, I also take the two-lane which takes
longer, but is more peaceful in my experience. The interstate is for people that
want to make time and that is why, I think, that it seems more stressful. You
get a lot of people running up your butt, cutting in sharp in front of you and
the volume of traffic is much greater. There are more 18-wheelers, also.

If the others say the 2-lanes aren't that crowded then you might like it better.

Unread 07-01-2011, 04:07 PM

439 posts, read 468,085 times
Quote:

Even though some of this route is two-lane, there is very little traffic - assuming you'll be driving on weekdays, not weekends or holidays. The biggest hassle is getting out of Austin, after that it's easy.

I've driven it straight through, but that is pretty tiring, it's about 11-1/2 hours total (with stops) to my home in Sandia Park, so make it 12 hours to ABQ. Lubbock is a bit more than half way, say 6-1/2 hours; Clovis is just over 8 hours from Austin, and that would leave you only 4 hours to go ... I can recommend the La Quinta in Clovis on N Prince, it's new & clean, and has an indoor pool.

watch out for the po-po!
In March dh and I drove from Clovis to Houston, then Austin and return. The GPS pointed out going and coming the route to Lubbock, Abilene, then south through a number of small towns. The trip still took a long time. When we go back down again, I'm thinking we might try to stay in Abilene overnight and try to cut it in half. It's a long haul whichever way you cut it.

Unread 07-09-2011, 02:24 PM

663 posts, read 563,394 times
Thanks to all. I drove there and back via Lubbock, Clovis. I had made reservations in Clovis, but got there at 4:00 pm, so I decided to power through to ABQ. I drove straight through back to Austin as well. It was flat, and dusty, but when I arrived at ABQ, the mountains and trees were a welcoming sight. I have to say that some of those small towns in NM and the panhandle are horrible eyesores. Coming from Wisconsin where even tiny hamlets that are poor are relatively tidy, this was shocking. I don't understand where these poor people work or make a living. I will say that the development towns in the Israeli desert, which are very poor, still looked better than some of these places.

Unread 07-09-2011, 06:24 PM

897 posts, read 1,019,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Not sure what "map" you're looking at but GOOGLE MAPS breaks the trip down like this:

Austin - San Antonio: 87.5miles 1hr-24min
S.A. - El Paso: 533mi. 4hr.-10min
El Paso - Albuq: 266mi. 8hr.-35min

Total: 886.5mi. - 14hr. 09min.
There's something wrong with the numbers here. How can it take only 4 hours to go over 500 miles, yet it takes 8 and 1/2 hours to go 266 miles? It certainly doesn't take 8 hours to get from Alb. to El Paso. More like 3 1/2 or 4 hours.

Unread 07-10-2011, 06:44 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,865,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
True that grass can cover up a lot of neglect. Still, there seems to be more pride of ownership in WI.
One need not go all the way to WI to see that difference. Just crossing the NM state line into one of the neighboring states makes a difference, with the possible exception of the El Paso area. Not sure if it's the total reason, but a lot of the trashiness in NM has to do with lack of any kind of code enforcement in the counties, if indeed the county even has a building code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua
Not sure what "map" you're looking at but GOOGLE MAPS breaks the trip down like this:

Austin - San Antonio: 87.5miles 1hr-24min
S.A. - El Paso: 533mi. 4hr.-10min
El Paso - Albuq: 266mi. 8hr.-35min

Total: 886.5mi. - 14hr. 09min.

Quote:
There's something wrong with the numbers here. How can it take only 4 hours to go over 500 miles, yet it takes 8 and 1/2 hours to go 266 miles?
I obviously mixed up the times for 533miles vs 266miles. Sorry for the confusion. But it's the totals that matter.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque