U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-11-2011, 11:21 PM

117 posts, read 154,415 times

Advertisements

So, after weeks and weeks of thinking about where I would transfer to (I was studying at Webster at the Thailand campus and spent a year between Japan and Thailand, and visiting Hong Kong, Macau, and Vietnam during my breaks ) I have 95% definitively decided on moving to Albuquerque to continue my studies.

I have a bunch of questions I need help answering...I am sure I could Google but I prefer current answers...

1) How is the current job market in ABQ? (I know for businesses it is amazing)

2) How are demographics? (age median, male to female ratio, racial demographics) I chose ABQ because I have heard it is diverse compared to many other places in the US.

3) How is the social scene? (clubs, dating, etc)

4) Being from NH, I absolutely love snow :P haha...snow in general in Albuquerque is? How is the weather in general?

5) Is there any fishing in or around Albuquerque? Like, good fishing...not just little sunfish and small fish.

6) If I live on or near a bus route could I make it by without needing my own car? Like for big shopping trips could I hire a taxi?

Thank you so much for any help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 11:41 PM

449 posts, read 568,705 times
Well, you might want to search each of these questions for more info - much has been discussed before. I'll give you some brief opinions though.

1. Job market is pretty typical for a mid-sized city - you can find stuff, but it is still likely to be tough, depending on field.

2. Demographics - you can do your own research on this one if you want detailed info. Basically, the city, county, and state all run about 45% hispanic, 40% white, 10% native american, and a small percentage of blacks and asians largely making up the remainder (though those demographics are growing quickly, particularly in ABQ). Age wise, the city is no younger or older than average.

3. Social scene depends on what you are looking for. ABQ is not a glitz/glam clubbing kind of place, though you can find that in small amounts, particularly downtown. Mainly, social scene for younger folks revolves around UNM, and associated social gatherings. Microbreweries have become particularly popular for going out, and there are a few throughout town.

4. Weather,- well this place gets as much sun as anywhere. Doesn't usually get too hot/too cold. But, while it has always been dry, this year, ABQ ranks as one of the driest cities on the planet - and if you haven't heard, it has caused issues with fire, etc. Still, most winters you can find abundant snow in nearby mountains.

5. Fishing? Sure, you can fish along the Bosque/Rio Grande, or any number of mountain rivers (fly-fishing).

6. Yes, if you live in the general UNM/downtown/Nob Hill vicinity, bus service is very good. However, if you want to take advantage of much of the surrounding scenery, places to visit, camping... then you might want to keep a car around.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:20 AM

8 posts, read 7,633 times
1) How is the current job market in ABQ? Engineering, medical, education...lots of opportunities but you'll make better money just about anywhere else. Just the truth I'm not sure about other fields. The difference I've found is that in Albuquerque, it's easier to become a big fish cause it's a little pond. You can make your mark here by reputation and word of mouth whereas in other places, that would never happen. It depends on what your ultimate goal is. If you want to launch, this is a great place to start.

2) How are demographics? You don't realize how diverse Albq is until you go somewhere else for a while. I think our city is so much more interesting because of the demographics. My kids have friends of every ethnicity and religion. We have our issues, as do all cities, but I think we're really unique in how melded our communities are. There are parts of town that seem to be "older"...the Northeast Heights around Uptown seems to have a generally older population, of course the University area is the most eclectic and diverse.

3) How is the social scene? (clubs, dating, etc) Truthfully from what I hear from my kids (who are in their late teens and early 20's,) Albuquerque isn't exactly a hotbed of nightlife. A lot of what they do seems to center around groups of friends hanging out vs "clubbing." Maybe it's just my kids but this ain't Vegas lol. Depends on what you like I guess.

4) Being from NH, I absolutely love snow :P haha...snow in general in Albuquerque is? Always a surprise! We've had giant blizzards in March, and I've gardened in my shorts on New Years Day. We'll never have much snow in town, but those mountains that surround us have plenty for those who enjoy it! My attitude is keep it in the mountains lol

5) Is there any fishing in or around Albuquerque? Like, good fishing...not just little sunfish and small fish. Isleta is the best local fishing according to some of the guys I work with (I don't fish, so this info is second hand.) There are hundreds of places in the state to go though. The northern part of the state has some of the most beautiful places to camp and fish in the entire country I think!

6) If I live on or near a bus route could I make it by without needing my own car? Like for big shopping trips could I hire a taxi? Depends on what you need and how much you buy. Taxis are pretty few and far between but when you need one, they're usually on time and happy to have the business. If you live in an area like Nob Hill or the University, shopping is easy. My 20 year old doesn't have a car and she gets all over the city using the busses pretty seamlessly.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:55 AM

Thanks!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 02:53 PM

256 posts, read 278,103 times
For catching bigger fish, the larger lakes are mostly a couple of hours away in various directions and include Cochiti Lake, Navajo Lake, Heron Lake, and Elephant Butte Lake, to name a few. Navajo and Elephant Butte in particular are developed with boat rentals.

The southeast part of Albuquerque probably is the most ethnically diverse. Many of the areas near the river have a somewhat rural feel, with the South Valley in particular retaining some agricultural feel, whereas Corrales is somewhat gentrified and "horsey". Sandia heights in the far northeast heights is a higher income area. Architecture is a mix of traditional suburban of various ages with some Territorial and Pueblo influences.

The state question is "Red or Green?", referring to the chile peppers that are a staple of unique New Mexican foods, which differ in many respects from most regular Mexican foods. Chile is NOT chili.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:29 PM

Another quick question...completely random. Here in FL they have Gold carts everywhere...you can drive them anywhere...whats ABQ's take on this?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:17 AM
N8!

2,456 posts, read 2,430,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massflorida View Post
Another quick question...completely random. Here in FL they have Gold carts everywhere...you can drive them anywhere...whats ABQ's take on this?
What's a gold cart?

Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 AM

F is next to the D and I hit the D :P

Golffffff carts haha

Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 AM
N8!

2,456 posts, read 2,430,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massflorida View Post
F is next to the D and I hit the D :P

Golffffff carts haha
If they aren't street legal, then I highly doubt you will want to drive on here - unless you are a blue-hair and live on a golf course/senior community.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:40 PM

1,643 posts, read 2,145,775 times
I see someone driving around Four Hills on a golf cart every now and then. That's it though.

I used to fish quite regularly on the east coast but not so much here. I did go to the fishing lakes down at Isleta a couple of times, that was well stocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque