Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:42 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times

Advertisements

So my bf has fallen in love with Albuquerque & along with allusions to marriage is making allusions to moving there.

I have been there a few times in the past to visit distance relatives with my family. I enjoyed my visits there, but I was not looking at it with the eye to move there someday, so I have questions still.... Of course, I would visit again should these plans become more real. I will say that I like CA & would view moving as an adventure, not an escape from something I hate.

I suppose the main questions are
- Winter weather? I hear conflicting reports. My grandma who grew up there, but has lived in CA for 50+ years now, says they can be bad. Other people claim they are mild, but I notice they are often not from CA originally.

- Stuff to do? I'm used to being 60 minutes max from LA or SD. I realize this cannot be duplicated, but I'd like to know what there is to do in Albuquerque outside of tourist stuff I've already done. FYI, I am not an outdoorsy type, but more "bookish". I like the arts, music (mainly indie/college rock), culture, & food.

- Culture shock? What might be major adjustments for me? Good & bad? I live in the Temecula area in SoCal, so I'm used to a cookie cutter suburb that is not very exciting. However, I'm also used to the decent proximity to more interesting places & things to do.

I appreciate all feedback, but I would especially like to hear from ex-Californians, ones who didn't hate CA & move to "escape" .

EDIT: Oooh yeah....I'm a graphic designer, so any news on the job market is useful also. In CA, things are very dour on the job front....

Last edited by orangeapple; 07-17-2011 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 04:05 AM

426 posts, read 1,086,744 times
I was born in Baldwin Park and didn't move out of there until I was 24.

I like the cold, so the winters here don't really bother me. If you can't stomach anything below 55 degrees, I don't recommend moving here. It's not uncommon for the temp to drop into the teens or 20's during the night, or even the day for that matter. It also snows here, and the snow can sometimes stick around for a while, as opposed to melting instantly when it hits the ground. One thing I don't like is the wind. During the spring time the wind is TERRIBLE! It really annoys me!

Here in ABQ you can catch indie bands perform from time to time. There may also be college bands performing at UNM. Perhaps in the Student Union Building. I'm not into this type of music so I don't have a good idea. Maybe someone else here can chime in....?

If you want "artsy" in terms of movies, like indie or foreign movies, you'll find more of that in Santa Fe than in ABQ. Simply because there are few more theaters up there dedicated to these types of films. That's usually where I used to go for my "artsy" movie needs.

I'm not an outdoor type of person either, but I like to go to the forest areas from time to time. I love being among the pine trees, especially just after it rains. I don't go very often anymore

You say you're used to not being very far from SD or LA. Well, living in ABQ you will be HOURS away from any city similar to those in terms of size and/or "things to do". By hours I mean Dallas, Phoenix, Denver..... maybe El Paso. That's one is only just 4 hours away.

There are plenty of "cookie cutter" neighborhoods here. As for more interesting places, well I think I already explained that.

Good luck.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:07 AM

366 posts, read 1,247,681 times
I used to live in San Francisco, but spent a lot of time in SoCal too. The winters here can be much colder than LA, but are mild compared to the midwest. Typically, you'd probably get about 10 days of snow, which mostly consists of light snow overnight, melting off by noon. Every once in a long while, ABQ gets hit with a real storm and will get over a foot of snow, but that's rare. Spring weather is worse than winter in my opinion. It will be windy all day, every day for months with 30-40 mph winds. It sucks (or blows, whatever).

There's not a lot to do if you're not into doing stuff outdoors. (Luckily I am, so that's how I spend most of my time.) There are a few live music venues, but they're not very good in my opinion. You won't be seeing the kinds of shows you see in LA. As for larger concerts, ABQ is where dying acts go to rest in peace. Most of the upcoming acts seem to be big hair bands from the 80s. Maybe once a year or every other year someone will come that I kinda want to see. But nothing to get excited about.

"Culture" has a different meaning here than anywhere else I've lived. If you're into Native American culture, then yes there's culture. If you mean something more like interesting museums and galleries, you might be disappointed. Coming from LA, you'll likely be disappointed in the food. New Mexican food (which is different than Mexican) is popular here. But there are few very good restaurants. Most New Mexicans seem to prefer quantity over quality and the restaurants reflect that.

Culture shock would probably be pretty severe. I lived in big cities where there's always something fun and different to do. Here, you can find a few things here and there, but you really have to search for them. If it weren't for the easy access to hiking, snowboarding and kayaking, I wouldn't want to live here.

As for graphic design jobs, there are a few small shops here. The market is pretty tight, but if you're good enough you should be able to find a job.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:21 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I'm not from California, but I know a lot of people who are young (mid-20s), and came here more or less against their will (following family) from southern California.

Almost to a one, while they don't criticize Albuquerque, per se, the do go on and on with, "California, this, California that, In California..., California, California, California."

Interpret that how you will.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:29 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
Coming from LA, you'll likely be disappointed in the food. New Mexican food (which is different than Mexican) is popular here. But there are few very good restaurants. Most New Mexicans seem to prefer quantity over quality and the restaurants reflect that.
I like New Mexican food quite a bit, but I'm sensing there is not variety. I have family there (New Mexicans hundreds of years back), and I have noted their "quantity over quality" mentality....

I'd probably do better with this than my bf, who is something of a "foodie" .

Quote:
As for graphic design jobs, there are a few small shops here. The market is pretty tight, but if you're good enough you should be able to find a job.
Oh I see....I've never worked in a print shop. I've mostly worked for magazines & advertising companies.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:22 PM

78 posts, read 196,101 times
Nedeley, I was going to ask why you don't go into the woods much anymore, and then I realized - we can,t because all the trails are closed, and it never rains so that's out too! Too bad, during my first 2 weeks here I was able to hike but I've given up on that as we can't hike anymore. I miss it. Not the La Luz trail, that was ridiculously crowded.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:33 PM

426 posts, read 1,086,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglore View Post
Nedeley, I was going to ask why you don't go into the woods much anymore, and then I realized - we can,t because all the trails are closed, and it never rains so that's out too! Too bad, during my first 2 weeks here I was able to hike but I've given up on that as we can't hike anymore. I miss it. Not the La Luz trail, that was ridiculously crowded.
Oh yes, that's true. That's part of the reason why I haven't gone recently. I should have said however, that I haven't made trips to any woods, or Santa Fe much since late 2009/2010. My husband had been continuously getting sick through most of that time. He was finally hospitalized with pneumonia for 12 days in May 2010. He didn't work for a year, while recovering at home with oxygen. Needless to say our finances took a huge hit. Our day trips that we used to take so often had to go bye bye. We're still trying to get ahead.... We'll get there.

I didn't get to go to Sandia Crest a couple of weeks ago because the road was closed. I wasn't happy!

I heard Mt Taylor, or at least part of its trails were opened recently.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Almost to a one, while they don't criticize Albuquerque, per se, the do go on and on with, "California, this, California that, In California..., California, California, California."
I had a friend from California (Simi Valley), in Philadelphia, who did the same thing.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:18 PM

366 posts, read 1,247,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Oh I see....I've never worked in a print shop. I've mostly worked for magazines & advertising companies.
By shops, I mean design shops and ad agencies.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
FYI, I am not an outdoorsy type, but more "bookish". I like the arts, music (mainly indie/college rock), culture, & food.
Not an ex-Californian (ex-New Yorker) but I too was arty and bookish before I moved here. Then when I discovered that the outdoors here are vast and fascinating, full of history and interesting geology, I became quite outdoorsy. You can definitely be bookish about the outdoors here, the landscape reads like a book. The artistry of nature waits around every corner. Be open to new possibilities and new ways of seeing the world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque