U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: How will You Vote?
Yes - "The Plan" is great for Albuquerque 25 80.65%
No - "The Plan" is the wrong approach 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:59 PM

296 posts, read 247,659 times
Default Albuquerque "The Plan"

How do you feel about the "Albuquerque, The Plan"?

Mayor Berry says the projects will make visitors want to vacation in Albuquerque and make our residents proud that they live in Albuquerque. Going on to say, these enhancements will entice new and existing businesses to grow here, creating new quality jobs.

What are your opinions and how will you be voting?

ELECTION DAY IS OCTOBER 4TH 2011.

Projects included in "The plan" include:

1. A Regional Sports Complex, mostly baseball and softball fields.
  2. A "50-Mile" Bike Loop around Albuquerque, that is currently in the process.
  3. Rio Grande River Enhancements and Board-walk.
  4. Albuquerque Culture Trail
  5. Paseo-1-25 Corridor Improvement project
  6. Expansion of Rapid Ride to other parts of Albuquerque
  7. EXPO New Mexico - Mixed Use park.
  8. Albuquerque Convention Center Renovations
  9. Albuquerque Civic Plaza Renovations
  10. Mixed use ideas for Barelas/Huning Rail Yard (currently abandoned and run down)
  11. White water rafting complex, modeled after Charlotte, NC (Which is amazing, having been there!)
Continued Reading:

http://www.cabq.gov/abq-the-plan/
http://www.cabq.gov/abq-the-plan/potential-projects (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 PM

606 posts, read 490,447 times
I'll vote for it, but I think it lacks really bold and visionary ideas.

And, actually, there are only four projects that are going to be going to voters in the fall: The Rio Grande boardwalk, bike loop, athletic fields, and whitewater rafting facility.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:56 AM

449 posts, read 535,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I'll vote for it, but I think it lacks really bold and visionary ideas.

And, actually, there are only four projects that are going to be going to voters in the fall: The Rio Grande boardwalk, bike loop, athletic fields, and whitewater rafting facility.
Agreed. Some of it is good stuff - especially the rafting facility which I think is a great idea. However, I think better ideas would include:

-updating/beautifying sidewalks city-wide to create more pedestrian-friendly environments, with additional street trees/landscape buffers ala what you see in the main part of Nob Hill...

-Creating some quality public spaces other than parks...ie civic plaza could be much improved, and euro-style plazas could be implemented around downtown as gathering spaces....

-Generally working to get additional infill and business downtown - not really something that is city-initiated, but they could create a better incentive plan, create public-private partnerships etc.

But, those are just my ideas Overall I'm kinda disapointed that some of what I thought were the more doable and interested of the "Plan" are not going up for vote, such as the Central Ave Bus Rapid Transit and the Barelas Railyards mixed-use project. The Boardwalk idea, while could be interesting, is from what I understand an impossibility due to Bosque protections and environmental constraints.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 AM

I agree with Alex, it lacks bold ideas.

I think the so called "Civic Plaza" needs to be done away with, personally. The convention center should be expanded and remodeled from top to bottom, with a beautiful hotel.

As for the Barelas Railyard, an events center would fit perfectly along with a downtown mall. That place would be jamming with people.

The "Boardwalk" should be a "Riverwalk" with shops and nice places to eat. Along with a Botanical Gardens entrance.

Landscaping was a huge deal for the Chavez administration, now it's not so much of a big deal.. unless you live in the Lead/Coal streets or Unser.

The White water rafting complex is the greatest idea of all, that is a gold mine. If not for locals, the tourists will have fun. I know I did when I visited the one in Charlotte.

Although the Ideas, aren't bold enough for me either, I think something needs to happen in this town. Spread the word and Vote YES!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:39 AM

374 posts, read 341,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
Landscaping was a huge deal for the Chavez administration, now it's not so much of a big deal.. unless you live in the Lead/Coal streets or Unser.
I'm pretty sure landscaping has continued at roughly the same pace. Those are NOT the only streets that have been landscaped in the last 2 years.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:19 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,043,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
... and euro-style plazas could be implemented
around downtown as gathering spaces....
Can you describe this a bit?

I've only spent a little time in Europe - the Netherlands - and
am not sure what you mean. Perhaps a link to a picture or
just a verbal description would be helpful.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 AM

374 posts, read 341,599 times
So I don't think that the plan is either "great" nor "wrong." Could more options be added to the poll to reflect the massive grey area involved in this?

Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 PM

449 posts, read 535,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Can you describe this a bit?

I've only spent a little time in Europe - the Netherlands - and
am not sure what you mean. Perhaps a link to a picture or
just a verbal description would be helpful.
Well, these thoughts are really more in my head than in images, but for a close approximation, google Pioneer Courthouse Square in Portland, OR (only a southwest version).

Old 08-01-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
I'm pretty sure landscaping has continued at roughly the same pace. Those are NOT the only streets that have been landscaped in the last 2 years.
Compared to when Chavez was in office? Streets were being Landscaped left and right. Especially when I first bought my house on the west side. Walls were painted their same colors to match from being tagged. Trees were being planted everywhere. Street signs ALL MATCHED. Every new street sign on major roads was "Blue" for the "Q city" theme. Now, street signs are a mess, I guess I'm the only one who notices these things, but they made a huge difference.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
So I don't think that the plan is either "great" nor "wrong." Could more options be added to the poll to reflect the massive grey area involved in this?
Either you are voting YES or NO, I don't think there is a clause that is added to the ballot for suggestions. I'm making it seem as if this is the ballot, and there are only 2 answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque