Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 04:16 PM

176 posts, read 324,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches Q View Post
I stumbled on you posts and I'm glad I did..I'm waiting for a medical retiretirement and trying to decide where to relocate from San Diego Ca. I have a friend who lives in Albuquerque, she loves it, but I just needed a little more reassurance! Most of the posts I've seen have been down right negative. So, this has helped me with making my decision. Thank you!
Well I'm so glad I could be of some help! Do you plan on moving this year? Please post when you do. I'd like to hear about your experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 07:46 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Just a clarification on a trivial thing, the driver's license issue... until this year we always got our license within minutes in NM, but this hologram thing is something new and has to be sent out. I suspect the same thing is happening in other states but not sure. Anyway, this isn't an example of "New Mexico is slow". I was surprised too this March when going for my renewal and they didn't give it to me right then. I actually thought it had to do with citizenship checks or something, or making sure the address you give was actually a true mailing address.

I have friends and relatives in the DC area and enjoy visiting there, love the free museums and international scene, but it's always nice to come home to New Mexico and the peace of the mountains. You don't have great mountains in DC. The Sandias alone offer over 150 miles of hiking trails and dozens of great rock-climbing areas. And this is just one small mountain range among several larger ones within a reasonable distance for daytripping.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 PM

41 posts, read 69,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I have friends and relatives in the DC area and enjoy visiting there, love the free museums and international scene, but it's always nice to come home to New Mexico and the peace of the mountains. You don't have great mountains in DC. The Sandias alone offer over 150 miles of hiking trails and dozens of great rock-climbing areas. And this is just one small mountain range among several larger ones within a reasonable distance for daytripping.
No, there aren't any mountains in the immediate DC area, but the Blue Ridge/ Shenandoah mountains are close by. I hiked along there for several years. I'll never forget how beautiful and breathtaking the trees are in the Fall! There's also hiking in MD and PA along the Appalachians. That said, I love the Sandias. I hike there often and I've hiked other parts of the state. All beautiful in a different way.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 AM

41 posts, read 69,252 times
Default A few other things that are different in ABQ

Hey Akio,
I forgot to mention that the sun is much stronger and hotter here. Should have been obvious to me, but I didn't think about it until I noticed the handbag left in the car faded and the curtains on the West-facing window have faded noticeably compared to the curtains on the other windows. Oh, and the sun feels uncomfortably hot on my skin when I'm driving.
Then there's baking. Oh my goodness, I'll never forget the day my blackberry cobbler exploded in the oven! At first, I couldn't imagine what could have caused it and then it came to me: the altitude! Duh! It has been a challenge figuring out which recipes need adjusting and how to best adjust.
Now let's turn to gardening. All my plants died. I had much success in Maryland with container gardening, but I'm having to relearn how to best do that here. I'm sure planting in the ground will also be different because the soil is so different here.
Finally, there is the wind, which can blow you away and makes for a very dusty house, the dry air, for which one needs tons of lotion, real live cowboys, yes, they do exist, etc. I have funny stories related to those too. Let's just say, it's been an interesting first year.
To anyone coming from the DC area, I'd say, you have to have a sense of humor and adventure and you'll be just fine.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Drink plenty of water or you may dehydrate...

Old 08-17-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxygirl12 View Post
No, there aren't any mountains in the immediate DC area, but the Blue Ridge/ Shenandoah mountains are close by. I hiked along there for several years. I'll never forget how beautiful and breathtaking the trees are in the Fall! There's also hiking in MD and PA along the Appalachians. That said, I love the Sandias. I hike there often and I've hiked other parts of the state. All beautiful in a different way.
Very true! Fall is one of my favorite seasons, and it is amazing over here when it comes

Old 08-17-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxygirl12 View Post
Hey Akio,
I forgot to mention that the sun is much stronger and hotter here. Should have been obvious to me, but I didn't think about it until I noticed the handbag left in the car faded and the curtains on the West-facing window have faded noticeably compared to the curtains on the other windows. Oh, and the sun feels uncomfortably hot on my skin when I'm driving.
Then there's baking. Oh my goodness, I'll never forget the day my blackberry cobbler exploded in the oven! At first, I couldn't imagine what could have caused it and then it came to me: the altitude! Duh! It has been a challenge figuring out which recipes need adjusting and how to best adjust.
Now let's turn to gardening. All my plants died. I had much success in Maryland with container gardening, but I'm having to relearn how to best do that here. I'm sure planting in the ground will also be different because the soil is so different here.
Finally, there is the wind, which can blow you away and makes for a very dusty house, the dry air, for which one needs tons of lotion, real live cowboys, yes, they do exist, etc. I have funny stories related to those too. Let's just say, it's been an interesting first year.
To anyone coming from the DC area, I'd say, you have to have a sense of humor and adventure and you'll be just fine.
Do you use a lot of sunscreen? I am a sunscreen freak in the summertime. I do a lot of container gardening over here, and was wondering about that over in NM. Have you had any luck with gardening since you have been there? If so, what have you found works? As far as the lotion, I am a lotion freak as well!! I put it on my hands all day long. I remember running into a cowboy when I was there this year. LOVE them!!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Drink plenty of water or you may dehydrate...
I drink water religiously, so my habit should carry over to NM without a problem

Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akio View Post
I drink water religiously, so my habit should carry over to NM without a problem
It doesn't for many. Because of the dry humidity your body water evaporates water without leaving the trace, "sweat", so many people don't realize it. With the higher altitude (5,000 feet and up), you can get woozy. The UV sun rays which are not filtered/reduced by moisture in the air also takes a toll... It gangs up on some people very quickly. Drink a few beers to accelerate the problem...

Rich

Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It doesn't for many. Because of the dry humidity your body water evaporates water without leaving the trace, "sweat", so many people don't realize it. With the higher altitude (5,000 feet and up), you can get woozy. The UV sun rays which are not filtered/reduced by moisture in the air also takes a toll... It gangs up on some people very quickly. Drink a few beers to accelerate the problem...

Rich
Words-o-wizdom:

That's why I always carry beer and water in my camel pak when out mountain biking.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque