Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:08 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I have done work with SAIC in the past in VA. They are a large government contractor, they have a facility near the ABQ Sunport...

Have you considered USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

They show 355 jobs in the immediate 20 mile ABQ area. Granted, you probably don't qualify for all those jobs, but it can be a good way to get your foot in the door...

My wife is a Federal employee. I have contracted with the government or worked for a government contractor...

Rich

Rich
Thnx Rich. Just applied for a job with ICE. It's a long shot, but I guess you never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Can you pass fairly indepth background security check?
I was going to ask that!

I think I have posted this before, but, a couple of years ago I was talking with an IT recruiter for the base and he was telling me that security clearance is the biggest tripping point for anybody wanting to work on base. He told me that it was very common to find a suitable candidate and then to have to withdraw the job offer after the security check because they had lied about something so insignificant on their application.

If you were arrested for something silly, like snapping a car antenna off when you were 18 and subsequently charged with criminal damage then disclose it. They already know that you did something silly when you were a kid, what they want to know now is if you are deceitful.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:08 AM

15 posts, read 23,542 times
Default Job resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Jobs are hard to come by everywhere. And pay is relative.

I'm in IT (software analysis and programming) and have a very good paying position. Have been employed here for over 12 years.

Being that XP Technical support its a broad range I can't give specific leads.

Places to look are:

Sandia National Labs
Kirtland AFB
City
County
State
Hewlett Packard
Intel
Kemtah Group
SAIC
UNM
UNM Hospital
PNM
Federal positions
Water Authority

If I remember tomorrow, I'll post some more options.

I'm a systems analyst/programmer in NJ, specializing in Focus and WebFocus. I've been searching for a job in ABQ since April with no luck so far. The majority of the systems jobs I've seen are in the healthcare field, in which I have no experience. A great resource to use is Indeed (Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com) which collects all available job openings on a single website, so you don't have to visit each employer's webpage (although that's probably a good idea occasionally). I've also realized that I am going to take a huge paycut (around $30K) to move there, but I'm in my 50s and quality of life is most important now.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
I think I have posted this before, but, a couple of years ago I was talking with an IT recruiter for the base and he was telling me that security clearance is the biggest tripping point for anybody wanting to work on base. He told me that it was very common to find a suitable candidate and then to have to withdraw the job offer after the security check because they had lied about something so insignificant on their application.

If you were arrested for something silly, like snapping a car antenna off when you were 18 and subsequently charged with criminal damage then disclose it. They already know that you did something silly when you were a kid, what they want to know now is if you are deceitful.
I did "Security Clearance" background investigations on and off over the years with/for various Federal agencies from about 1972 to about 1988, my wife worked in adjudications for DoD for a while... Most of that is all bogus talk. What did you do? How will that affect your ability effectively "hold a position of trust and responsibility in regards to National Defense security information."

But technically the final decision is up the the "Commander" who requested the BI/SBI etc if it is a military agency. Some of the Air Force and Navy units are very strict. But most people involved really do not know how the system really works...

Meant to add. One major problem is the random drug screening, if your employer does it, and many do. On all the Defense contracts I have worked on (since 1990), That can be a killer. Dept of Energy is varies, but some have been terminated for "minor drug use" and "minor alcohol problems".

My best advice, do not let the security clearance issue deter you from applying for positions...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-12-2011 at 09:19 AM..

Old 08-15-2011, 09:33 PM

Saw a rainbow today & was invited to a telephone interview for a system analyst position with UNM. keeping my fingers cross.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,261 times
Good Luck!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 PM

192 posts, read 256,763 times
Good luck Lazyone and I hope you landed or are about to land the position. Like yourself, I also feel like I have a calling to relocate to ABQ.
I also lined up a phone interview next week for a career out there next week and am keeping my fingers crossed. This would be huge for myself and future in these troubled economic times.
Either way I'm going, but landing the great job before I come would put my mind in a whole different frame.
Wish me luck!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR73 View Post
Good luck Lazyone and I hope you landed or are about to land the position. Like yourself, I also feel like I have a calling to relocate to ABQ.
I also lined up a phone interview next week for a career out there next week and am keeping my fingers crossed. This would be huge for myself and future in these troubled economic times.
Either way I'm going, but landing the great job before I come would put my mind in a whole different frame.
Wish me luck!
Best of luck Rob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque