Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 04:23 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,147 times

Advertisements

I've saved up my pennies and am thinking about installing granite countertops in the kitchen.

Has anyone had a positive experience with granite? Can anybody recommend a company? How much should I expect to pay per square foot?
How long does the process take?

Were you glad you did it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 05:19 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,324 times
I did my research decided to go with Silestone, it seemed to be a lot more durable than granite.

Right after doing my research I did pick up about 400SF of nice looking Silestone at the Artistic bankruptcy auction last year. I just need to decide which company to use to install it

When you choose a company can you post back and let me know how it worked out for you?

Old 08-15-2011, 05:35 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
We had ceramic tile kitchen countertops replaced with granite 6 years ago. It was done by Rocky Mountain Stone and we were extremely happy with the job. But (always a but), all the folks we dealt with there have moved on so your experience may be different. We also know folks who used LaTierra in Bernalillo and are very happy. We would have used LaTierra but they had just started out and didn't do demos at the time. No way was I going to remove that tile and, for once, I was right. Two guys worked 8 hard hours on it to get it out.

There's more than just cost per foot. It depends on how many cuts, corners, shapes, type of edge, backsplash or no, overhang brace needed or not, thickness chosen, etc. For example, we have an island that took a whole slab and contained a half circle and a cut out for a range top. I know that added $$ to the deal. The type of granite you select also varies in cost.

Bernco, I'm not sure what would be more durable than granite. I've read a lot of bad reviews of silestone.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:02 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
FYI, if you are looking for blue granite, remember that blue will usually be more expensive than other colors. Deep reds can be expensive as well.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:46 AM

265 posts, read 808,735 times
I can't speak to installation questions as our granite counters were already in place when we bought our home, but I can say that ours have turned out to be incredibly durable. You can set hot pots on it without worry, and it's great for rolling out breads & pastry. Ours is a dark mottled color, so if I miss a spill it doesn't show (grin).

On the other hand, that dark color seems to darken my whole kitchen, I secretly would love to have something lighter-colored to brighten up my work space a little. And it seems to me that granite countertops are "on the bubble" of their immense popularity, and might look dated someday soon? (It may be just me.)

Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
I'm a Formica kind of guy (Have even done two of my own)... Some granite counter tops look OK. I know three people who appeared truly delighted when they got their new granite counter tops installed.

I wonder how Lowes and Home Depot compares. I thought I saw $50 per square foot. They have always been competitive and carried good guarantees. I would at least see what they had to offer..

Rich

Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 AM

3 posts, read 6,036 times
We picked out our slab from Arizona Tile and hired Mijares Granite and Marble to install. They did great work for us - beautiful install and very professional. They also made sure to cut the granite so we had no seams/joins. Our neighbor hired them after seeing our kitchen and they were also pleased. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque