Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:59 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Indeed. There's always what appears to be a brown haze over the Valley in the cooler months. The snowbirds from Canada and the Upper Midwest certainly don't help alleviate pollution.
Not sure how we got here from NM's safety, but..

Snowbirds don't drive a whole lot, particularly during rush hour. They do tend to spread out a city by making later landowners move further out, but then again the furthest afield suburbs (Apache Junction, Surprise) tend to be snowbird magnets. The extreme commuters who live out of county are probably some of the biggest point contributors to pollution, as they don't have to pass emissions. Sounds hauntingly familiar.

The unsafe pollution in Albuquerque sometimes is very similar to Phoenix, though thankfully far less severe because of fewer cars driving fewer miles. We could have L.A., Mexico City, or Tehran's troubles.

Old timers may recall the "Candle" in Uptown when winter woodburning first became regulated. Luckily Albuquerqueans use much cleaner forms than they used to (plain fireplaces are very uncommonly used nowadays vs. pellet or wood stoves, and especially gas furnaces).

Also, coal emissions from the four corners look like they're getting significantly better, as the oldest plants are getting shut down and the newer ones are going to have to install their first scrubbers. They're very far away but their influence does reach this far.

Despite the growth, I'd say Albuquerque's air is getting safer, rather than less so, since the 1970's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 05:16 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,250 times
Sorry, I've been browsing the threads as I'm also considering relocating to Albuquerque and as a former Phoenix resident thought I'd throw in some insight about the air pollution in Phoenix.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:31 PM

360 posts, read 1,533,069 times
Default Appreciated Buckeyenative01's comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Sorry, I've been browsing the threads as I'm also considering relocating to Albuquerque and as a former Phoenix resident thought I'd throw in some insight about the air pollution in Phoenix.
Am considering both PHX and ABQ... PHX did seem smoggy to me. I've yet to visit ABQ, so I'm glad to hear the air quality is better.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Comparing Phoenix and ABQ is like comparing oranges and apples. Phoenix weather, both smog and heat would not be at the top of the list for me (more like mid) As for weather etc ABQ can't be beat. Someone had suggested Las Cruces, that would be another choice. Most important is the job market, can you get a job in your field? If you aren't working anyplace will be expensive.

Nita

Old 09-03-2011, 10:41 PM

6 posts, read 8,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Comparing Phoenix and ABQ is like comparing oranges and apples. Phoenix weather, both smog and heat would not be at the top of the list for me (more like mid) As for weather etc ABQ can't be beat. Someone had suggested Las Cruces, that would be another choice. Most important is the job market, can you get a job in your field? If you aren't working anyplace will be expensive.

Nita

Thanks for letting me know...as far as the 2 cities are totally different...for some of us not from the west...would consider similar when it comes to at least weather, but if it's not...then that's ok! I'm not moving anywhere until I actually have a job...which is why I've rallied for info in reference to such cities & states as these 2. I want to move out west, and Phoenix has several positions available, but I've yet to receive calls...maybe because I'm not there. ABQ has had a few, but I've definitely seen more available in the Phoenix area, but was curious about the safety, pollution & cost of living...all of these are important to me! And yea, it's pretty obvious that if one is not working...of course, any where is going to be expensive...but when you're asked what salary you're looking for...it would be nice to know cost of living in order to make the decision and if one's more expensive than the other...that, to me IS important! But, I do thank you for your time!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msanders417 View Post
I want to move out west, and Phoenix has several positions available, but I've yet to receive calls...maybe because I'm not there. ABQ has had a few, but I've definitely seen more available in the Phoenix area, but was curious about the safety, pollution & cost of living...
I know a few police officers, firemen, a machinist, maybe a few more people who left the ABQ area for the Phoenix area...

For some people a good paying job in Phoenix is better than a low paying job in ABQ...

It's really a personal choice...

Phoenix is hot! Temperature wise... It has been about 10 years since I have been to Phoenix. It's a wonderful drive from ABQ if you have never been out west...

You might read these threads in the City vs. City forum:
Albuquerque or Phoenix

Albuquerque vs Vegas vs Phoenix vs Tucson

Rich

Old 09-03-2011, 11:23 PM

6 posts, read 8,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I know a few police officers, firemen, a machinist, maybe a few more people who left the ABQ area for the Phoenix area...

For some people a good paying job in Phoenix is better than a low paying job in ABQ...

It's really a personal choice...

Phoenix is hot! Temperature wise... It has been about 10 years since I have been to Phoenix. It's a wonderful drive from ABQ if you have never been out west...

You might read these threads in the City vs. City forum:
Albuquerque or Phoenix

Albuquerque vs Vegas vs Phoenix vs Tucson
Rich

Ohhhhh, now that is some very interesting information!! Thanks for that info...especially the links to the other threads on city v. city!! Much appreciated!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque