Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:56 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,961 times

Advertisements

Thanks! Applying from out-of-state is a huge concern for me as I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands, of already qualified applicants already living in the area. I've been using Indeed.com and USAJobs.gov, but I'm tempted to check out Craigslist even though I've been told to not bother with it unless I'm already living there.

I'm also glad to hear that its more laid-back and open to differences (I'm very much a "live and let live" type of person). I think part of the problem with Arizona is that we have this weird hybrid of neo-conservatism and libertarianism that tries to project its version of morality onto its citizens while hypocritically bitching about "big government" at the same time.

I'm entertaining the thought of coming out for a visit and possibly check out the Balloon Fiesta October 8-9, but am a little concerned about the amount of tourists in town that weekend and contributing to that problem? We in Flagstaff like Phoenicians for the tourism dollars they bring up north, but hate that our restaurants and bars are overflowing with them during the Summer months...

Last edited by buckeyenative01; 08-29-2011 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 08:06 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Thanks! Applying from out-of-state is a huge concern for me as I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands, of already qualified applicants already living in the area. I've been using Indeed.com and USAJobs.gov, but I'm tempted to check out Craigslist even though I've been told to not bother with it unless I'm already living there.

I'm also glad to hear that its more laid-back and open to differences (I'm very much a "live and let live" type of person). I think part of the problem with Arizona is that we have this weird hybrid of neo-conservatism and libertarianism that tries to project its version of morality onto its citizens while hypocritically bitching about "big government" at the same time.

I'm entertaining the thought of coming out for a visit and possibly check out the Balloon Fiesta October 8-9, but am a little concerned about the amount of tourists in town that weekend and contributing to that problem? We in Flagstaff like Phoenicians for the tourism dollars they bring up north, but hate that our restaurants and bars are overflowing with them during the Summer months...
IMO, Balloon Fiesta time may not be the best time to check the city over; the city will have lots of visitors at that time. The cost of hotels get more expensive during that time and most of the "good" less expensive hotels fill up. As far applying from out-of-state to a USAJobs, that doesn't matter a whit. Federal employees are hired from anywhere in the US; it is the strength of your resume and skill set that matters. If you need help with USAJobs, PM me. I worked as a rater Pers Spec for the Army for a no. of years. IMO, I would not focus at all on my competition. Just do your own best and focus on that!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
IMO, Balloon Fiesta time may not be the best time to check the city over; the city will have lots of visitors at that time. The cost of hotels get more expensive during that time and most of the "good" less expensive hotels fill up. As far applying from out-of-state to a USAJobs, that doesn't matter a whit. Federal employees are hired from anywhere in the US; it is the strength of your resume and skill set that matters. If you need help with USAJobs, PM me. I worked as a rater Pers Spec for the Army for a no. of years. IMO, I would not focus at all on my competition. Just do your own best and focus on that!
I've noticed that after doing a quick comparison between that weekend and others. Still, maybe the weekend after or another date when the tourists aren't out in full swing. I'd like to get out of Flag for a weekend and Albuquerque's not too far away.

Thank you!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 PM

Looking online for things to do during a weekend visit...is the Sandia Peak Tramway worth $20?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:00 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Looking online for things to do during a weekend visit...is the Sandia Peak Tramway worth $20?
Has been for me, and I am cheap....

You can drive up to the other area: Drive up into the Sandia Mountains, Crest House, Hiking Trails, Turquoise Trail Byway, New Mexico

Rich

Old 08-31-2011, 11:39 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,899 times
Since you said you're into urban photography of southwestern cities...hope you don't mind if I make a few recommendations for your visit.

-Old Town area, particularly east of Old Town along Mountain Rd.

-Downtown, of course - some good stuff near the Alvarado Transportation Center (excellent murals everywhere)

-Barelas, which is one of the oldest neighborhoods in ABQ, it is basically just south of downtown, particularly along 4th St.

-North Valley - follow Rio Grande Blvd north from Old Town, all the way to the end. Not urban per se, but lots of history, many old structures, and some crazy impressive housing stock/land/agriculture/acequias

-South Valley - take Bridge Blvd across river to west side, go south on Isleta Blvd. Similar story as North Valley, but crossed with Old Mexico.

-All of the neighborhoods along Central Ave, especially the "Edo" area for some interesting victorian/southwestern hybrids, Nob Hill for the Vintage Route 66, University area, etc.

That should give you a feel for the older parts of town!

Oh and yeah, tram is worth it.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:50 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Old 09-01-2011, 01:51 PM

I've got a phone interview tomorrow morning with a law firm for a legal assistant position

Old 10-08-2011, 02:43 PM

484 posts, read 970,029 times
Default ABQ questions for a possible future move

I recently moved for a great job opportunity to CA. I like it here and will be here for a few years, but I can't see it as a permanent place.
Maybe ABQ would fit me.

Background: grew up in PA, hate the cold and snow. Moved to Tucson for tens years. Loved the mtns., desert, eclectic attitude, open spaces, stars, and slower pace. Also enjoyed that the uni. provided lecture series, independent movie theaters, and bicycling opportunities.

Questions:

1. If someone likes Tucson, but not the extreme summers, would they like ABQ? (Does it have similar things going for it like I mentioned above?)

2. It looks like the Sandia Mtns are the only range around. Are there many trails heads? Can you hike all parts of the mtn?

3. Bicycling: any big mountain climbs for road bikes?

4. Are there public pools?

5. For a 30 something that really prefers nature over bars, though going out for music a few times a year is fun, single, is this a good fit?

6. Is the university a big presence? Do they have offering for the public: theater, lectures, etc?

I will visit before committing, of course.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:47 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
Yes to all 6, with one caveat:

Tucson's winters are considerably milder than Albuquerque's. You will be about 10-20 degrees cooler in summer, and 10-30 degrees colder in winter. If a cold winter doesn't bother you, you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque