Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:45 AM

4,971 posts, read 7,345,014 times

Advertisements

This report from January 2011 shows that they have been cleaning it up. Is it fake? I haven't heard how well it's been working:

Kirtland AFB working to clean up gas plume

The report uses the word "cleanup" but apparently all they are doing is drilling monitoring wells which is not "cleanup."

Anyway, there are other sites around town where contamination has occurred (such as the Fruit Ave. plume downtown, from an old dry cleaning business, and e-coli has been found in water in the South Hills neighborhood recently in the South Valley). Groundwater around the state is contaminated by naturally-occurring heavy metals, but then the water gets treated. The city well my water comes from is the closest one outside the Base to this plume but I don't see anyone freaking out over it. I'm not sure what the people who work at the Base are drinking for their water.

I hope someone with expertise in this area will chime in here.

Last edited by aries63; 09-02-2011 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 09:50 AM

17 posts, read 40,342 times
Okay, EPA Region VI doesn't seem to know anything. The enviro groups seem clueless. IS it just not that big of a deal, or maybe just a urban myth. It just seems bizarre that there is so little information and attention given to this. If it's really not that big of a deal, I'll just forget about it. We'll probably be moving to ABQ anyway!

Old 09-02-2011, 10:14 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,623,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl786 View Post
That's fine for now, but it's been hard to find info on what the future holds. If we want to settle there, widespread contamination could crater home values. Drinking water is scarce enough without the only source being rendered useless. When the water hole dries up, so does growth and the economy. Surely the city and EPA have a plan? I work in the environmental field, so maybe I'm just too sensitive to these issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
There is no plan to clean up the fuel.
There is a plan, just because you are not aware of it does not mean it does not exist. "spill was only discovered in 1999. At that point, the Air Force started to investigate the soil around the spill area, acquiring soil samples from a wide area and groundwater samples from directly below the spill site."
From: http://www.kirtland.af.mil/shared/me...110822-007.pdf
Quote:
While the spill most likely occurred over a period of decades, evidence of a spill was only discovered in 1999. At that point, the Air Force started to investigate the soil around the spill area, acquiring soil samples from a wide area and groundwater samples from directly below the spill site. The analysis showed that contamination was in the soil strata to a depth of nearly 350 feet but no fuel product was apparent in the water below the release site. In 2004, a remedy of Soil Vapor Extraction was put into service to remediate the contamination identified in the soil. In January 2007, a groundwater monitoring well at a location outside of the spill area was proposed and installed by Kirtland Environmental Program personnel based upon indications of persistent vapor plume readings far to the east of the original spill location. After the well was installed, Light Non-Aqueous Phase Liquid (LNAPL), or fuel was discovered on the water table at the new well location. This development made the clean-up much more challenging. Nevertheless, since 1999, the Air Force has planned and programmed resources to investigate/cleanup this site as efficiently and effectively as possible and will continue these actions until the effort is complete.
Quote:
We have barely been able to get the military to drill monitoring wells
Testing wells/borings/testing as of August 2011:
Soil Vapor Monitoring Wells 35
Groundwater Wells 78
Shallow Soil Borings 5
Pneulog Well Testing 0
Direct Push Soil Sampling(does not include step out sampling) 279
FROM: http://www.nmenv.state.nm.us/hwb/documents/KAFB_8-31-2011_BFFS_Weekly_Activity_Report.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
or to even admit that jet fuel is in the water supply.
There has not been any jet fuel detected in the drinking water wells. What do you define as "water supply"? We have arsenic, sludge a variety of there pollutants etc.

Quote:
Q. What was spilled at KAFB?
A. Aviation gasoline (Avgas) and jet fuel formulations JP-4 and JP-8 leaked from an underground pipe at the bulk fuel facility on the base.

Q. Have fuel compounds been found in Albuquerque drinking water wells?
A. No.

http://www.kirtland.af.mil/shared/me...110822-007.pdf

Quote:
As far as I know, nobody but the military has been truly involved in this matter.
Here are some agencies involved:
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
Army Corps Of Engineers.
Kirtland Air Force Base, 377th Air Base Wing
The Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility
The City of Albuquerque.
The Environmental Protection Agency, Region 6.
The Hazardous Waste Bureau, New Mexico Environment Department.
The New Mexico Environment Department.
The Office of the State Engineer.
Water Resources Program, University of New Mexico.

Rich

Old 09-02-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
No amount of comment from KAFB or the rest of the military will convince me that nothing is wrong.
To me, that explains some of your position is perfectly clear as usual....

Rich

Old 09-02-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Okay, EPA Region VI doesn't seem to know anything. The enviro groups seem clueless. IS it just not that big of a deal, or maybe just a urban myth. It just seems bizarre that there is so little information and attention given to this. If it's really not that big of a deal, I'll just forget about it. We'll probably be moving to ABQ anyway!
They don't? I think A representative was here for this, which you might read over, 60 page transcript:
http://www.kirtland.af.mil/shared/me...110822-006.PDF

·1· · · · · · · · · · · ·KIRTLAND AIR FORCE BASE
· · · · · · · · · · · ·ENVIRONMENTAL PUBLIC FORUM

10· · · · · · · · · · · TRANSCRIPT OF PROCEEDINGS
11· · · · · · · · · · · ·Tuesday, June 28, 2011
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · 6:00 p.m.
12· · · · · · · · · · Cesar Chavez Community Center
· · · · · · · · · · · · ·7505 Kathryn, Southeast
13· · · · · · · · · ·Albuquerque, New Mexico· 87108

Rich

Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 AM

17 posts, read 40,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
They don't? I think A representative was here for this, which you might read over, 60 page transcript:
http://www.kirtland.af.mil/shared/me...110822-006.PDF
Thanks! This gives me several leads, including a contact at Region VI.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:58 AM

4,971 posts, read 7,345,014 times
Quote:
There has not been any jet fuel detected in the drinking water wells.
Not true, there have been trace amounts discovered in two wells at KAFB and at the VA Hospital.

"Of new concern is that in the Veterans Hospital drinking water well VA-2 the
semi-volatile compound benzo(a)pyrene was detected at a concentration that is above the
EPA Maximum Contaminant Level that puts people drinking the water at higher risk for
cancer. Kirtland denies knowledge of the source of the benzo(a)pyrene."

The $50,000,000 that Kirtland has committed to this is window-dressing. A similar (but much smaller) spill on Cape Cod required $35,000,000 for cleanup in 1998. The Kirtland spill is 110 times larger.

Kirtland also has a radioactive and hazardous waste dump seeping into the ground next to the Mesa del Sol planned community for 100,000 people.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks! This gives me several leads, including a contact at Region VI.
I forgot to put this on the post. A good FAQ which answers a lot of questions and it is only 10 pages:
http://www.kirtland.af.mil/shared/me...110822-007.pdf

Rich

Old 09-02-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Not true, there have been trace amounts discovered in two wells at KAFB and at the VA Hospital.
I believe you are correct, in fact I posted that earlier in the thread, I was pulling info from a few sources and it did not click. I plead the 60th (I am over 60...)

Rich

Old 09-02-2011, 02:51 PM

372 posts, read 710,267 times
Quote:
There is a plan, just because you are not aware of it does not mean it does not exist. "spill was only discovered in 1999. At that point, the Air Force started to investigate the soil around the spill area, acquiring soil samples from a wide area and groundwater samples from directly below the spill site."
From: http://www.kirtland.af.mil/shared/me...110822-007.pdf
Testing wells/borings/testing as of August 2011:
Soil Vapor Monitoring Wells 35
Groundwater Wells 78
Shallow Soil Borings 5
Pneulog Well Testing 0
Direct Push Soil Sampling(does not include step out sampling) 279
FROM: http://www.nmenv.state.nm.us/hwb/documents/KAFB_8-31-2011_BFFS_Weekly_Activity_Report.pdf (broken link)

Taking samples is NOT a cleanup plan, it represents information gathering in preparation for (hopefully) creating a plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque