Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:05 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times

Advertisements

The apts at High Desert are nice, I almost leased one when I transferred to ABQ. Only real diwsude for me, is they are out of the way to just about everything except the Foothills trails. Nice area though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:29 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,579 times
In my experience, gated doesn't mean much in Albuquerque, and often seems kind of silly. Particularly in areas like the west side, north valley, and near old-town, you'll find gated communities with homes not nearly as nice as adjacent non-gated communities. Similar thing with a number of apartment complexes. It just sort of shuts you off from the rest of the city...

Just my opinion...

But yeah, if you want access to hiking at your doorstep, High Desert is the way to go.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:54 PM

548 posts, read 1,216,873 times
Traffic here isn't too bad so you can live in the northeast area (has a suburban feel, which seems to be what you are looking for). My husband works on base and has less than a 30 minute commute down Wyoming to the base from above Paseo del Norte. There is an apartment complex a little north of the Paseo and Wyoming intersection that is gated, looks nice, and is within walking distance to the grocery store, resturants, and a park in a safe area of town. I do not know anything about the complex other than what you can see from the outside though, so I can't help you with the management issues.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 PM

47 posts, read 116,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
Traffic here isn't too bad so you can live in the northeast area (has a suburban feel, which seems to be what you are looking for). My husband works on base and has less than a 30 minute commute down Wyoming to the base from above Paseo del Norte. There is an apartment complex a little north of the Paseo and Wyoming intersection that is gated, looks nice, and is within walking distance to the grocery store, resturants, and a park in a safe area of town. I do not know anything about the complex other than what you can see from the outside though, so I can't help you with the management issues.
If you're talking about Broadstone Estates, I'd say it fits all of the OP's requirements except that it's a 25-35 minute drive like you said. Management has been very friendly and helpful and what little maintenance I've needed has been very quick.

I like that it's close to I-25 so you can get places quicker that way, and you always have the option of taking Wyoming south or Paseo East/West as well.

Best thing to do is definitely take an apartment hunting trip (sandia will pay for it) and take some time and visit several places.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:42 PM

7 posts, read 24,472 times
Thank you all for your input and advice! I'm going to be looking into all the things mentioned

Old 09-11-2011, 10:50 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,371 times
My husband just got a job at Sandia Labs last month. We are now in our house, but we lived for a month in a very nice apartment complex in the NE Heights called Broadstone Estates. There is another, sister complex, called Broadstone Heights or something like that. He said it was less than a 30 minute commute, and the area is pretty and safe. We now live about five minutes north of there and love the neighborhood. Both of these complexes have gates and fences, but the neighborhood is safe, and you can walk to the strips with Smith's Supermarket, and many other stores if walking is important. There is a brand new municipal recreation building right across the street and good shopping close by.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 24,472 times
Thanks for all the advice

Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,428 times
Broadstone High Desert is a nice complex (not to be confused with Broadstone Estates, which is also nice, but more of a commute to Sandia, and without easy access to hiking). Broadstone High Desert is not gated btw. You will have easy access to hiking, an easy commute, and the potential for spectacular views. Some of the apartments have balconies or patios that face open space, which is very nice for privacy and nice views. Good luck and congrats on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque