U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2011, 09:55 PM

506 posts, read 416,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massflorida View Post

For me, its pretty standard to be lax and put on a t-shirt (FOX Racing, American Eagle, Abercrombie, some New England Sports team, Liverpool jersey :P, maybe a dress shirt depending on where I'm heading off to, or a ralph lauren polo)...some shorts (I don't care for pants unless I am working in which I would put on chinos. but I always go with some variation of plaid shorts...and if you don't know what those are just please go to any university of high school in the country and you will find people wearing them)...and shoes (I switch between Adidas and Lacoste with white lacostes being my favorite...maybe puma flip flops if im lazy)...and of course low cut socks...accessorys include a bracelet I got while in Tokyo, and a pair of Ray Ban Wayfarers. Finish it off with a half faux hawk hairstyle and I am all set and feel current. :P

)
Yeah, I think you are going to be an exception in ABQ. This definitely isn't New England. I figured out pretty quickly that most people really dont care at all about that sort of thing here. People I meet in bars here seem more excited when they find a great t-shirt at a thrift store than any brand name. I love that about ABQ

That being said, I have lived most of my life in the DC area, and yeah fashion is more important there, but that doesn't really apply to sneakers and t-shirts. you shouldn't be wearing those when you go out in DC anyways.

When you are headed out for the night, sure grab some some nice clothes, but for just hanging out or getting lunch, who really cares what kind of sneakers you have on? People grow out of that after high school for the most part. Definitely after college.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,960,300 times
I'm pretty sure you lost to Stoke the week before

If you are wearing that shirt and you hear someone yelling abuse at you. It will probably be me

Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 PM

117 posts, read 142,141 times
Buuuuuut...I know this isn't New England...I also said there are a lot of unique dressers here, but there are also a lot of people that wear name brands, especially in university. Everyone is different, everyone dresses differently. Some people prefer thrift store, some people prefer name brand. At uni, I often see people dressed in ways that remind me of New England dress (also Florida, just less fishing shirts :P)...can't really group everyone into one group in ABQ and say that they all prefer thrift store clothing (of course, I grouped everyone together for which set of clothes they would pick strange little hypocrite I am :P)

@Bernco, Stoke was so embarrassing. The Patriots winning was nice though I wish we still have Kyrgiakos. We'll rip Albion a new one next week Suarezzzzzzz scoresss!!!!!!

BTW - If anyone tries trolling me, I am just not going to respond Just a heads up. Please make sure to read responses as well before commenting on them <3

Last edited by massflorida; 09-20-2011 at 10:43 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 10:09 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,960,300 times
Can't justify two terrible losses by another sports win!

Just so you know - http://www.city-data.com/forum/soccer/

Old 09-20-2011, 10:38 PM

599 posts, read 462,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Where's he living, BTW? There was a lot of new coverage about him having to find
a new place ( even got on Villinuchi's show ), and then nothing ... There's no way
he'd move away from the neighborhood.
I read a piece about him by one of the Journal's regular front-page columnists (I believe it was Leslie Linthicum) earlier this year. He was living in my old haunt of South Broadway at that time.

I personally last saw him walking along Bridge Boulevard here in Barelas not that long ago.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 PM

hahaha, ok, ill check it out.

Anywho, I am done with this thread.

I don't want to start trolling and I don't want to be trolled by people who might build upon the "crock" thing

Good luck guys and remember, everyone is different Some prefer thrift store, and some dont.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:46 PM

452 posts, read 582,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You know what we call that in this country? A crock. Please provide some verifiable data to back up this claim which you are so certain of. You are placing your creditability on a statement like that?

Adios...

Rich
Really?? You don't believe kids want to fit in with popular/fashionable clothes?? Thats almost a no brainer...Thats like asking what would you rather own a Civic or a Ferrari..
Shykids - Building Confidence

Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 PM

16,450 posts, read 16,181,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
Really?? You don't believe kids want to fit in with popular/fashionable clothes??
Really, I do not believe the statistics which were provided.

Quote:
Thats almost a no brainer...Thats like asking what would you rather own a Civic or a Ferrari..
1. I have owned a Corvette and an Austin Healey. Is that close enough to be accepted in your eyes? And I also owned a Honda Civic, which I had longer and drove more than the Vette or Healey. I currently can afford a used Ferrari if I wanted it. I am looking at something more practical.

2. Can you practice what you preach? Did you bother to read the Shykids Building Confidence with you posted? Some good information in there.
"Kids who want to fit in, tend to wear clothes that are similar to what their classmates are wearing." So why are you bashing others that what they where here in New Mexico. Your thread title "Is New Mexico behind?" So you are ahead?

"That's really okay as long as you don't worry that your jacket didn't cost as much as your friends, or your sneakers are not the most cool ones or your jeans are one inch shorter than your friend's jeans." Gosh, I could afford my brand new Honda, I could not afford my Vette or Healey. I guess I do not fit in certain crowds...
That whole site seems pretty informative Shykids - Building Confidence I know some younger people who could benefit from it...

Rich

Old 09-21-2011, 03:03 PM

722 posts, read 863,422 times
Quote:
So i finally moved here and have noticed something, it seems like everyone is very behind in terms of styles..Maybe im wrong? I was from a small town about 3 hours from Chicago and have always thought that I was behind. But here, girls are still wearing jeans with no back pockets!! That went out at leat 5 years ago back home...Im sure its normal to most of you so maybe no one will know what Im talking about.?
After losing 15-20 minutes of my life reading this asinine thread, I fell compelled to respond.

As I interpret your question, you're asking why the youth of New Mexico are not as superficial and shallow as the youth in Illinois.

I would love to be able to say that the youth here are more intelligent, mature and simply not interested in such trivialities. Alas, I expect that it is more a function of economics. It costs money to be trendy. The clothing is more expensive and it has to be replaced whenever the next trend comes along. I think that a majority of parents here simply do not have the money to do that. As when I grew up, I expect that when parents buy clothes for their children, plenty of them expect the clothes to be worn until the child outgrows them (and it may get handed down) or the clothing wears out.

I also imagine that clothing to meet the dress codes in schools that have one may also use up many parents' clothing allowances.

I am a former midwestener who long ago realized that weel made classic clothes rarely go out of style and that there far important things in life to be concerned about.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Really?? You don't believe kids want to fit in with popular/fashionable clothes?? Thats almost a no brainer...Thats like asking what would you rather own a Civic or a Ferrari..
If Poncho really does own a civic and a vette then I assume he is older and thus a little bit above us younger people...

Honestly, it is almost ridiculous to believe that a teenager or younger person would choose thrift store clothing over brand name clothing...just about every teenager tries to fit in...by choice, I am certain most of my peers would choose brand name, new clothing over thrift store hand-me-downs...

Also, older people times have changed :P Kids these days are 10x different then they were way back when. Try asking children who are not your own what they would choose between thrift store and brand name if they both cost exactly the same, were at the same store, etc.

Most younger people are not into the thrift store look, and if they are, its usually not by choice...its because of finances or trying to save money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque