Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,572,644 times

Advertisements

FWIW - From your New Hampshire correspondent. We have seen them around here as well. I have not heard any singing yet. NM to NH. These critters have quite a range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 10:45 PM

741 posts, read 1,375,063 times
KathieRR,

Is there any chance that you are seeing raccoons? Although I am in the foothills east of Tramway which I know is far from you, I have been awakened by screeching and it was raccoons, up to three at a time. As far as I know neither a raccoon or coyote will scare one another off, they just kind of retreat to their own areas.

I liked the security door Rich posted. I have what I have heard is called a California room. It is off the bedroom and has its own sliding glass door. I have a pet screen door which does allow the kitties to crawl up it without tearing it. I'm going to investigate what you have; it looks much more secure than what I have. I would love to leave that door open or partially open to screen overnight...

Oh, yes, I use my evaporative cooler as a fan more often than with the pump active.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 8,028 times
Hi Alinka,

Although I know we have raccoons where I live, the noise sounded more like vicious growling/fighting. The reason why I thought it was probably dogs is because I saw what looked like a black and white collie wagging its tail while it walked across my patio just before dusk. In any event, it was only 2 nights that I heard the growling/fighting, so I hope whatever it was found someplace else to duke it out.

Kathie

Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,549,958 times
I have not seen raccoons, but I do not doubt they exist. Article in the Rio Rancho Observer: Got some raccoons? Don

Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 PM

307 posts, read 680,626 times
I live off of 550 and i see them all the time leaving the subdivision and running in the field across the way.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:46 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,909,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieRR View Post
Hi Alinka,

Although I know we have raccoons where I live, the noise sounded more like vicious growling/fighting. The reason why I thought it was probably dogs is because I saw what looked like a black and white collie wagging its tail while it walked across my patio just before dusk. In any event, it was only 2 nights that I heard the growling/fighting, so I hope whatever it was found someplace else to duke it out.

Kathie
i have raccoons here (no coyotes) and sometimes they make vicious noises just playing with each other. i'll go running out to see what the heck is going on and it's just raccoons frolicking around.

those coyotes in new mexico can be pretty bold, i hear. some computer friends were looking in the bosque for a lost cat and whenever they encountered a coyote, it did not back down at all.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
those coyotes in new mexico can be pretty bold, i hear. some computer friends were looking in the bosque for a lost cat and whenever they encountered a coyote, it did not back down at all.
Your friends may have been near their den. Heck the coyote may have been rabid. In both cases best to stay away. They get accustomed to humans and hang around for food. I have seen one running with a Burger King bag...

Old 07-05-2012, 11:40 AM

14 posts, read 22,221 times
I rode a horse for 3 years through extensive, isolated forest preserve trails in the Chicago suburbs. I think coyotes in packs are a myth. I have never ever seen them in packs. I have had rather close contact, often they have walked on the path near the horses, but never bothered us. I've seen them in pairs, but they mind their own business & don't bother humans. I would keep small dogs protected, as they will see a meal in that, & that doesn't make them mean or bad animals, they have a family to feed too. If you have a small dog don't keep it outside unsupervised, & you'll be fine. Coyotes stay away from humans, so as long as you don't have a neighbor feeding them & you keep any small pets away, you won't have any problems.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarvamp View Post
I think coyotes in packs are a myth. I have never ever seen them in packs.
It's not a myth, they have been seen and documented in packs. How many in a pack? I have seen three adults at one time several times. I see a pair in the same area probably 10 times per year. They run together probably 20 yards or more apart. That sole picture I posted above is one of a pair.

I hear them singing various time at night, not sure if they are all together or just nearby.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:53 PM

4,820 posts, read 4,728,734 times
I concur Rich. We frequently see them in pairs, occasionally 3, and once or twice we've seen 4 together. It's possible that the extra ones could be near full grown pups of the pair. From the singing we sometimes hear around midnight, there are at least two separate groups around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque