Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:56 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times

Advertisements

I am sure there are many human beings to thank, but this being our first Balloon Fiesta since moving here, we were amazed and filled with wonder. My face hurt from smiling so much. It was magical. Took the park and ride and got there while it was still dark. I'm still thinking about all of the gorgeous balloons we watched ascend. Loved our breakfast burrito too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 05:28 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
As a native of Albuquerque I've grown up with the Balloon Fiesta every year and have never known the city without it. It's grown an awful lot over the years and it still continues to amaze me after all these years. I can remember back when I was little during Balloon Fiesta us kids making miniature hot air balloons out of tissue paper in school and even having balloons land in the playground of our school on occasion. In my family we always talked about it and watched the mass ascensions on T.V. every weekend and would run outside and wave to the balloons whenever they would pass over us. It just shows how the Balloon Fiesta has become such a part of Albuquerque.

Perhaps you've seen on T.V. that the originator of the Fiesta, Sid Cutter, died earlier this year. Out of anybody he'd be the one to thank for the Fiesta. I believe tomorrow or on Wednesday they will be honoring him at the Fiesta.

But, as you stated, we should also remember that there've also been many others who've helped it grow into what it's become along the way. We can thank all of those people as well for giving us this incredible event that our city can deservedly be proud of.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times
Thank you for your personal reminiscence. I can imagine how exciting the balloon fiesta must be for small children since as an adult I was so captivated.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
I live in western Colorado and have been to several of the fiestas, not in the last few years though. It is indeed a great event for Albuquerque. Just a couple days ago our small market ABC affiliate (KJCT) ran about a one minute seg on the fiesta.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The Festival made it to national display on the Weather Channel. They showed the balloons and how the "albuquerque box" wind pattern let the balloons land near their take off spots.

A & I call them Dragons because of the burner noise. We often hear them before we see one. That Rally must have sounded like a mythic Dragon concention. Great Fun. maybe next year.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Festival made it to national display on the Weather Channel. They showed the balloons and how the "albuquerque box" wind pattern let the balloons land near their take off spots.

A & I call them Dragons because of the burner noise. We often hear them before we see one. That Rally must have sounded like a mythic Dragon concention. Great Fun. maybe next year.
The burner noise is incredible. Just yesterday morning I heard the noise and thought for sure a balloon had landed in my yard because it was so loud. When I looked out the balloon was actually flying very low above the next street trying to regain altitude. I watched it as it eventually got higher and continued south further along the street. One of those balloons that came down this way yesterday did get get caught in power lines near me, though. I live in Barelas, BTW.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:33 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
There have been a few balloons hit the roofs of houses in the past. Yes the woosh sound and then a possible shadow over the house is common.

I was on a balloon crew for a few years. The sounds in the air are different... When low over houses you can see and hear the dogs in people's houses... We have also seen coyotes running through various neighborhoods...

Rich

Old 10-04-2011, 08:55 PM

963 posts, read 2,302,244 times
Aaaah, I cannot see the festival this year . . . post some photos guys for a fella stuck in NYC missing it all !!!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
Aaaah, I cannot see the festival this year . . . post some photos guys for a fella stuck in NYC missing it all !!!
This is a short video I shot from 2009, but the first 20 seconds or so is the area on old Route 66 on the south end of Bernalillo you recently asked about:

Train holds up traffic. - YouTube

Rich

Old 10-04-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
There have been a few balloons hit the roofs of houses in the past. Yes the woosh sound and then a possible shadow over the house is common.

I was on a balloon crew for a few years. The sounds in the air are different... When low over houses you can see and hear the dogs in people's houses... We have also seen coyotes running through various neighborhoods...

Rich
Yes, all the dogs in my neighborhood were barking up a storm yesterday morning, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque