Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:31 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,411,414 times

Advertisements

Lots of folks bash Albuquerque because of its crime scene. This post comes from the opposite end of the spectrum.

Two weeks ago, I bought an Apple iPhone 4. Yesterday, at Smith's in Rio Rancho, I was in the self check-out lane, getting ready to pay. I pulled my iPhone out of my pocket, set it aside, counted my coins, and combined them with some paper money to pay for the groceries.

A half hour after leaving the store, I got home and discovered that my iPhone was missing. It took me another half hour to return to Smith's where I asked the assistant manager whether anyone had turned a cellphone. He opened up the lost and found drawer and pulled out an iPad 4. "Is this yours?" he asked. It was. He said that a customer notified the checker that there was an iPhone left near the check-out stand. The checker told the assistant mgr., and it was placed safely in the lost and found drawer. I asked the assistant manager to accept a monetary reward, which he refused to do. I became more forceful, and he acquiesced, splitting the reward with the checker.

This incident reinforces my feelings toward the people of New Mexico. In the state where I lived before moving here, my chances of retrieving the iphone would have been nil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 11:08 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,574,770 times
Thanks for the commentary nmguy. We have been shopping at that Smith's for about 12 years and have enjoyed the service and friendly staff... We have also use the Albertson's (Next to Target) a few blocks north also for about 12 years. My wife has had good service with Albertson's prescriptions...

No place is perfect but New Mexico has been very enjoyable and for us...

Rich

Old 10-12-2011, 08:59 PM

923 posts, read 2,412,636 times
It's nice to know that there are honest people out there. We had a similar experience with an iPod Touch a couple of summers ago. My daughter left on the balloon fiesta field after the 4th of July fireworks show. We didn't realize it was missing until we got to our car. We went back to the field to look, but it was like looking for a needle in a haystack in the dark. Some city workers helped us by looking with flashlights and driving a golf cart around (with the headlights on) in the area where we thought we were sitting. We gave up and went home.

A couple of days later I got a phone call from a woman who found the iPod. She saw "mom" in the list of phone numbers, so she called me. We met up with her at an Isotopes game and got the phone back. Really nice lady who went out of her way to borrow a charger from someone to charge the iPod so she could try and figure out who it belonged to.

I also read a story about a woman from out of town who lost her diamond ring at the balloon fiesta this year. City workers again helped her look for it. Then someone came with a metal detector and they found her ring!

Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 AM

662 posts, read 1,446,190 times
In our two months here, I have found the people in Albuquerque to be very friendly and helpful. Each day I'm pleasantly surprised. Oh, except for at the MVD--that was a nightmare!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:14 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,044,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
In our two months here, I have found the people in Albuquerque to be very friendly and helpful. Each day I'm pleasantly surprised. Oh, except for at the MVD--that was a nightmare!
Get in, Get out...MVD Express!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:05 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,411,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Get in, Get out...
Reminds me of what my ex used to say. ;-)

Old 10-13-2011, 11:18 PM

923 posts, read 2,412,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post

I'd much rather pay the extra $20 and go to an express place than deal with the city-run MVD field offices. It is horrible. I've often wondered why they have so many customer windows when usually only two of the 12 windows are ever open.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:23 PM

I had good luck at the Bernalillo MVD about 6 months ago... Waited maybe 20 minutes to renew my license.

Rich

Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,499,475 times
On average, when isn't a trip to the local MVD/DMV/BMV a nightmare?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
On average, when isn't a trip to the local MVD/DMV/BMV a nightmare?
Well, if you renew your drivers license for 8 years, and order your vehicle registrations by mail you might reduce you trips... I think I have been to an MVD twice in the last 10 years. I have had much worse nighmares in that period...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque