U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2007, 12:07 PM

5 posts, read 18,019 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to relocate to ABQ in the near future (scouting trip mid Sept. 07). She works virtually but my work is hands on furniture/wood (re)finishing and repair. I would work for another but after 32 years of working for myself I get the feeling potential employers feel I'd be too independent or some such nonsense to employ. Anyhoo, since I need to work (both for mental health and money) I need some help on locating potential areas where there is/may be a demand for a hands on craftsman such as myself.
Any and all opinions/ideas most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 10:00 PM

2,804 posts, read 4,346,491 times
Space is cheapest in downtown.

East mountains are popular for that sort of business too.

Businesses are harder than average to start here. Santa Fe may prove easier, due to the wealth and interest in reuse. Most Albuquerqueans will just throw the old furniture out or give it to goodwill and buy a new one at Walmart or American Furniture.

Find the most expensive luxury office suite you can in Albuquerque, add $5/sqft/yr, and you'll end up with the price of the cheapest ramshackle garage in Santa Fe.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:30 PM

152 posts, read 510,956 times
Default Furniture Restoration in ABQ

If you were looking for areas to start your own business here, there are several small "industrial" business areas along both I-40, and the westside of I-25, especially north of Jefferson St. The "North Valley" up north 4th & 2nd Streets, also have many small businesses that are similar. The town of Corrales, north of Albuquerque, and near booming Rio Rancho, I know has "cutom" furniture businesses also.

I too, am not an authority on your line of work, but I do love to visit the antique, collectible, flea-market stores here. They are many, so I'd think good restoration work of fine furniture pieces is always in demand.

One of the stores I frequent is: the "Antique Specialty Mall," 4516 Central Ave. SE, Albuquerque (sorry I don't have the zip, but you can find that on Google). They have a very talented refinisher, who is also very friendly, that is always working on some antiques that have been shipped in from New York, or elsewhere.

I don't remember his name, but if you would write him a letter, addressed perhaps as "Furniture Restoration Expert," with the above address, I'm sure he would at least write back to you, and let you know how things are in Albuquerque from one professional to another. Their phone number is (505) 268-8080...maybe the staff there could give you his name, or if he's "in" you could talk to him.

There are 20 Yellow Pages listings for "Furniture Repair & Refinish." I just thought of another company. "Furniture Medic Rx" (the "three R's in Wood Repair: Repair, Restore, Refinish.") You might contact them too for better local information. (505) 265-8000. No address given, so maybe another "craftsman" that works our of his house, or such. I used to live just up the street from a furniture builder/craftsman...he ran his whole business out of his double garage. How he got by the zoning laws, I never did know. Either that, or his neighbors were just "live and let live" types, like me. :-)

Good luck on your "quest!"

Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM

9 posts, read 32,191 times
You could consider opening your business in the town of Bernalillo. It is situated adjacent to I25 and right next to the rapid-growing Rio Rancho. It is only 20 minutes north of Albuquerque, 10 minutes from Corrales, and 45 minutes south of Santa Fe. You could advertise in all those places. Bernalillo should be fairly affordable.
The folks that did the countertops in my home chose Bernalillo to open their tile and granite business. They do work all over and seem to be doing well based there.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 18,019 times
Many thanks to both replies!!
This is exactly the kind of info I had hoped for and I am most appreciative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque