Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 05:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,265,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
to another strip mall

mattress stores and strip malls go hand in hand, too bad strip clubs arnt based in strip malls, then I could purchase a mattress, eat at Subway, get a haircut then hit up the strip club.
Back at ya on the 'good one'.

When I first moved to NM from NY, I was really excited about these 'strip malls' I had heard of. Imagine my disappointment.

ABQConvict

Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,455,598 times
I was happy today!

Old 10-10-2009, 08:14 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,988,207 times
I'm not happy today, but I'm not currently in NM.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:24 PM

361 posts, read 1,090,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I put up with the big yucky sports store at the Gateway in Utah because the town is outdoorsy, and because the Gateway does not pretend to be a higher end shopping place. It has things like Orange Julius, Sunglass Hut and Aeropostale. ABQ Uptown is a farce, I'm sorry. There is no way I can tolerate BCBG Max Azria in the same shopping center as a mattress store. Albuquerque has no standards, that is my point. I am not a snobby person. I have just gotten so dead tired of the way this area handles things. If I see one more person wearing flip flops, I will throw up. It is October. For God's sakes, go to Target and pick up a ten dollar pair of flats.
It the greater scheme of things happening in the entire universe, I just don't see that a mattress store placed in an upscale shopping area is that big of a deal.

Whether you're a snob or a down-to-earth granola, whether you live in NYC, SLC or ABQ, whether you're filthy rich or dirt poor - ultimately, if you're like most Americans, you need a mattress on which to sleep. So I don't think a mattress store off in one corner of ABQ Uptown "brings down the neighborhood".

Honestly - I think you're stressing way too much about this.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:39 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,442,107 times
" Albuquerque has no standards "...yep, it's amazing what we let into this town, n'est ce pas?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:03 PM

3,556 posts, read 10,200,575 times
Quote:
I put up with the big yucky sports store at the Gateway in Utah because the town is outdoorsy, and because the Gateway does not pretend to be a higher end shopping place. It has things like Orange Julius, Sunglass Hut and Aeropostale. ABQ Uptown is a farce, I'm sorry. There is no way I can tolerate BCBG Max Azria in the same shopping center as a mattress store. Albuquerque has no standards, that is my point. I am not a snobby person. I have just gotten so dead tired of the way this area handles things. If I see one more person wearing flip flops, I will throw up. It is October. For God's sakes, go to Target and pick up a ten dollar pair of flats.
Do they make flats for men? Maybe that's an upscale thing we haven't heard about in ABQ. Like Jerry's European Carry-all?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:06 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,442,107 times

Old 10-11-2009, 08:59 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,455,598 times
Wearing flipflops in Oct, is that like wearing white after Labor Day?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:39 AM

361 posts, read 1,090,661 times
Quote:
ABQ Uptown is not about necessity!!!! That you don't get this does not surprise me at all.

First:
In a hurting economy a mattress store in a place like ABQ Uptown just may be a necessity (someone's gotta pay the lease on a developed property!). I'm sure the selection of high end stores expanding in some markets right now are slim.

Second:
I don't live in ABQ, and you don't know me so saying something like "That you don't get this does not surprise me at all." seems to reflect a personal issue you have with people who live in Albuquerque - you assume that only people in ABQ have these characteristics that you really dislike. Definitely not the case.

Also, there are many people in ABQ that are NOT as "unsophisticated" as you make the entire population out to be. Some of them just seem to choose a more down to earth attitude about things.

Acceptance is conducive to a better outlook on things - just saying!

Old 10-11-2009, 05:11 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,346,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Wearing flipflops in Oct, is that like wearing white after Labor Day?
Gee I hope not. But then, I don't wear flipflops. I prefer to go barefoot if I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.