Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 12:18 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,973,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Speaking of stares, I get tired of being stared at when I am riding the bus at odd hours, and frequently the only Anglo on the bus at least at certain points. The stares are almost always ambiguous to me. I'm not necessarily certain they are hostile, but it's certainly not pleasant to be stared at in that situation.

Do they think I'm a rich Anglo and I'm just riding the bus to save the planet? I'm riding the buses right now, because I don't have a car and can't afford to get one (though that should change after I get some debt paid off).

So I'm not supposed to be using public transportation, as a middle-class Anglo (albeit, one who has recently gone through some tough times financially)--but I'm still supposed to help foot the bill for it once I eventually get a car?

(To answer the thread question: I'm not really happy right now, but it has little to do with Albuquerque, and I still like Albuquerque despite the problems. But I might eventually get so sick of the behavior of some Hispanics here toward Anglos that it could inspire me to relocate.)

you mean that this magical tolerant city has problems, I dont see it.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:48 PM

142 posts, read 322,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I put up with the big yucky sports store at the Gateway in Utah because the town is outdoorsy, and because the Gateway does not pretend to be a higher end shopping place. It has things like Orange Julius, Sunglass Hut and Aeropostale. ABQ Uptown is a farce, I'm sorry. There is no way I can tolerate BCBG Max Azria in the same shopping center as a mattress store. Albuquerque has no standards, that is my point. I am not a snobby person. I have just gotten so dead tired of the way this area handles things. If I see one more person wearing flip flops, I will throw up. It is October. For God's sakes, go to Target and pick up a ten dollar pair of flats.
If the mattress store (or any other store) can afford the rent that center charges they have every right to be there.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:15 AM

10 posts, read 47,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
Where is your husband at when he is getting threatened with knifes and guns?? Sounds a little far fetched to me. Unless he's in the gang related areas, I don't see this ever happening.
no actually we weren't in a gang related area at all, as we wouldn't ever go to those parts of town. He was outside of the aztec vet clinic talking on his cell phone where we took our dog and a man came out of his house and said he didn't like that a n***** was standing near his yard and then proceeded to tell my husband that he had a gun inside and he was going to come back out and shoot him. Also, he was threatened to be "cut in the throat" by a guy who was shouting obscenities to us while walking by him on Central Ave near the University. Oh and not to mention the neo nazi couple who lives right across the street from us who I'm pretty sure is the culprit who bashed out all my car windows last week.

I mean it's just kind of crazy moving here from a large city where everyone is accepted and full of diversity and coming out here thinking people would accept us as a couple and we would meet all kinds of people.

For all of you saying this could never happen, well then I don't know what to tell you, because it did and if I'm so upset that I'm venting on a silly forum obviously its a big deal in my life right now. Oh well, we will be vacating as soon as possible, which is a shame because I really do enjoy the weather and scenery here, but it's not worth it if people are so behind in the times and not very accepting, not to mention the lack of education.

Perhaps that is why people are ignorant, do they just not know any better? New Mexico has a high unemployment rate for a reason and also UNM has a huge drop out rate when these kids get to go to school for free from the "lottery" if they keep grades up? I WISH I was given opportunities like that growing up. Complete laziness is all I have to say.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:29 AM

434 posts, read 1,102,402 times
You should of called the cops on these people, they belong in jail!
As far as unemployment it doesn't appear Albuquerque is doing that bad.
http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Fil...ro_profile.PDF

Old 10-14-2009, 10:06 AM

142 posts, read 322,124 times
It is terrible that that would happen to your husband anywhere. Aztec vet clinic from what I recall is in a bad area of town, perhaps you should look into a different clinic. Regarding unemployement, NM is doing better than most other states...

Old 10-14-2009, 04:50 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,973,334 times
a couple of white girls that I work with who are both from out of state claim that the Hispanics are racist towards them, I think they just have it wrong and are not use to a large amount of Hispanics.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 PM

361 posts, read 1,089,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natthebat View Post
Perhaps that is why people are ignorant, do they just not know any better? New Mexico has a high unemployment rate for a reason and also UNM has a huge drop out rate when these kids get to go to school for free from the "lottery" if they keep grades up? I WISH I was given opportunities like that growing up. Complete laziness is all I have to say.
I'm really sorry that you had the experience you did...but I gotta ask, with the comments in your statement above, do you think maybe some people can sense that you feel this way about them?

I may be wrong here, so correct me if that's the case, but maybe that's why you weren't treated the way you expected - because you may have, not knowingly, made them feel "ignorant".

Now, granted, the guy who came out in his yard and used the N word is obviously ignorant, but I know that probably 95% of the population in ABQ are not at all as you describe them here.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:11 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,330,116 times
Want to rep you Casden but it says I have to spread it around first.

So here is your rep ^5.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 PM

10 posts, read 47,729 times
we did call the cops and they said they weren't able to do anything about it unless the man physically put the gun near him! maybe we just got the dumbest cop that day!

Old 10-19-2009, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,405 times
Default Burque

I lived in Denver with my wife for about a year after living in Albuquerque my whole life; what a mistake. Albuquerque is just one of a kind. Most people love it or hate it. I can tell you now that I left and came back I have a whole new appreciation for the city. Now that I'm back in Albs I see things that I haven't noticed before, like the way people act or seeing shops on the side of the road that I would have just glossed over before. I guess leaving Burque and coming back here I can tell why people who are from the midwest or east coast might really enjoy it here and retire here.

Denver was horrible. The cost of living is higher, I was paying almost 800 dollars a month for a crappy apartment, I was working at a retail store making 9 bucks an hour, sales tax is high so everything you buy is expensive, and I lived in AURORA which is a working class suburb of Denver, it just seemed that everyone was on the verge of becoming homeless living paycheck to paycheck.

There were a few things I picked up from living in a larger city like work ethic. I came back with a new attitude and way of looking at work. One thing that bugs me about albs is that EVERYONE complains about work, but it Denver its just another thing in life that you have to do so no one makes a big deal even if they are working in something like fast food. I picked that up fast, and when I came back to albuqurque, found several job opportunities, probably things I learned from learning how to carry myself and seem like I wanted to work instead of seeming like I am entitled to get paid by the hour but do absolutely nothing. I am pursuing my degree still but have a job, but a lot of my friend who have their bachelors don't have jobs. I really think that the reason why a lot of young people cant find jobs in this city, (i'm 22) is because they lack drive and a sense of work ethic. Another thing I noticed is that having a job is a correlation to happiness, of course because everyone loves money.. Maybe of we stopped being so lazy (us young adults) we could stop complaining and maybe change things
Just my thoughts..

Another things I DON'T Miss about Denver is
The 4 million people
Pollution
High Taxes
Below zero winter weather
Snow
The rich yuppie attitude
The Judgmental attitude by the older generations

I love Albuquerque.
Its what you make and put into it! You just have to be more creative here. Its not always about drinking and partying downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque