U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-16-2009, 10:28 PM

10 posts, read 29,871 times
we did call the cops and they said they weren't able to do anything about it unless the man physically put the gun near him! maybe we just got the dumbest cop that day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-19-2009, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,514 times
Default Burque

I lived in Denver with my wife for about a year after living in Albuquerque my whole life; what a mistake. Albuquerque is just one of a kind. Most people love it or hate it. I can tell you now that I left and came back I have a whole new appreciation for the city. Now that I'm back in Albs I see things that I haven't noticed before, like the way people act or seeing shops on the side of the road that I would have just glossed over before. I guess leaving Burque and coming back here I can tell why people who are from the midwest or east coast might really enjoy it here and retire here.

Denver was horrible. The cost of living is higher, I was paying almost 800 dollars a month for a crappy apartment, I was working at a retail store making 9 bucks an hour, sales tax is high so everything you buy is expensive, and I lived in AURORA which is a working class suburb of Denver, it just seemed that everyone was on the verge of becoming homeless living paycheck to paycheck.

There were a few things I picked up from living in a larger city like work ethic. I came back with a new attitude and way of looking at work. One thing that bugs me about albs is that EVERYONE complains about work, but it Denver its just another thing in life that you have to do so no one makes a big deal even if they are working in something like fast food. I picked that up fast, and when I came back to albuqurque, found several job opportunities, probably things I learned from learning how to carry myself and seem like I wanted to work instead of seeming like I am entitled to get paid by the hour but do absolutely nothing. I am pursuing my degree still but have a job, but a lot of my friend who have their bachelors don't have jobs. I really think that the reason why a lot of young people cant find jobs in this city, (i'm 22) is because they lack drive and a sense of work ethic. Another thing I noticed is that having a job is a correlation to happiness, of course because everyone loves money.. Maybe of we stopped being so lazy (us young adults) we could stop complaining and maybe change things
Just my thoughts..

Another things I DON'T Miss about Denver is
The 4 million people
Pollution
High Taxes
Below zero winter weather
Snow
The rich yuppie attitude
The Judgmental attitude by the older generations

I love Albuquerque.
Its what you make and put into it! You just have to be more creative here. Its not always about drinking and partying downtown.

Unread 10-21-2009, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,241 times
Also Minnesotan (but Texas born) thinking about moving to ABQ. People here (MN) are slow to warm up to newcomers, and after 21 years here many still are.. but you get back what you give out consistently. I work in a store where there are regular customers. For the first three months working there people just came and went, but I consistently treated people exceptionally well. Now people come in looking for me, mention to my boss how they enjoy coming there, etc. Any town is just people... treat them like your best friend and some will warm to your friendship.
- I look forward to moving to ABQ, tired of shoveling snow. Will miss my friends but not my allergies. Hope to see yall soon.

Unread 10-22-2009, 01:45 PM

358 posts, read 635,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Want to rep you Casden but it says I have to spread it around first.

So here is your rep ^5.
Thanks - I appreciate it!

Sorry, I didn't see this until now.

I hadn't been to the city data website for a couple of weeks.

Unread 10-23-2009, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 21,276 times
Well, NM is one of the states I would consider moving to. I hopefully will have an interview with First Nations next week (playing phone tag now). I can say that I am ready to get out of the Deep South. I am a Yankee, and came to New Orleans to get my MSW. I got it, along with Katrina, displacement, and learning that there are some very mean spirited persons in the South. Yes, crime in my part of Alabama is lower, but educational standards and test scores are terrible- Alabama is 49th out of 50 states.
I would prefer that persons just be "mean" to my face, and get it over with. That way I know where I stand. Down here, it is all sugar and sweetness, lots of "honey" and manners, but once the person is out of earshot- the gloves come off.
Then again, it can be that way anywhere. But, believe it or not, job opportunities in my field (Social Work) are much better in your neck of the woods than in Alabama. And- my cost of living would drop by three percent, while my salary for a comparable job would increase by about the same.
All in all- I am ready for a change, and Albuquerque looks pretty good to me.
Anyone live in smaller towns or suburbs in surrounding areas? I used to have a 90 mile per day commute to my old job, so commuting is not an issue.

Unread 10-23-2009, 03:01 PM

10 posts, read 29,871 times
in response to your remarks, I am very kind to everyone. both my husband and I go out of our way to be friendly to others here. I'm a very peaceful person, So giving off vibes to people that are negative is unlikely. Obviously, this forum is a way of others to vent. I'm not trying to offend other people, so I apologize if I did, I was simply just replying to the posts. In regards to the post of school, sure I can see that being ignorant. I would never say that to anyone in real life here. So all apologies to whoever I offended.
In response to: "a couple of white girls that I work with who are both from out of state claim that the Hispanics are racist towards them, I think they just have it wrong and are not use to a large amount of Hispanics." I am from a very large city where it is diverse, so I am very used to large groups of Hispanics and all other races. And don't just assume that because one says their skin is white, that they are too. This has obviously been a huge waste of time and just further irritated me. Moderator cut: Inappropriate language

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-24-2009 at 11:25 AM..

Unread 10-23-2009, 03:19 PM

5,552 posts, read 8,385,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew64
Anyone live in smaller towns or suburbs in surrounding areas?
I used to have a 90 mile per day commute to my old job,
so commuting is not an issue.
Are you looking for a long commute on purpose?
That is what this last bit sounds like.

Just because you used to have a 90 mile commute
doesn't mean that it wasn't insane to do it.

If you are just 'upping' and moving to Albuquerque
why would you then choose to live elsewhere
and just work in the city?
.................................. <boggle>

Unread 10-23-2009, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 21,276 times
Nope, don't need a long commute. I didn't like it much.
The reason I asked was that it is my assumption that it would be less expensive to live in a smaller town on the outskirts than in the heart of the city. Maybe not.
And no, I would never just "up" and move without a job first. That's why I am remaining in Alabama until I get employment. NM is just one of several states that I have a good shot at getting a job in.

Unread 10-23-2009, 10:52 PM

4,588 posts, read 8,762,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natthebat View Post
in response to your remarks, I am very kind to everyone. both my husband and I go out of our way to be friendly to others here. I'm a very peaceful person, So giving off vibes to people that are negative is unlikely. Obviously, this forum is a way of others to vent. I'm not trying to offend other people, so I apologize if I did, I was simply just replying to the posts. In regards to the post of school, sure I can see that being ignorant. I would never say that to anyone in real life here. So all apologies to whoever I offended.
In response to: "a couple of white girls that I work with who are both from out of state claim that the Hispanics are racist towards them, I think they just have it wrong and are not use to a large amount of Hispanics." I am from a very large city where it is diverse, so I am very used to large groups of Hispanics and all other races. And don't just assume that because one says their skin is white, that they are too. This has obviously been a huge waste of time and just further irritated me. Project get the **** out of here is on it's way. peace

I must have took my post the wrong way, what I was trying to say is that, one girl is from Montana and the other is from Tennessee, both not states that are big on Hispanics, they are not used to the culture here, so when they move here and interact with crabby Hispanics that are rude to them they take it the wrong way and think its racial when it may not be. Im Hispanic myself and I never hear anyone of my race talk bad about whites, but I have heard some whites talk bad about Hispanics.

Unread 10-24-2009, 06:41 AM

528 posts, read 453,492 times
I always thought for a state of just 2 million lost souls that we faired better than most. I know that ABQ has a high percentage of Phd's as well as a large government contracting presence. This does not include the jobs to be found in Santa Fe and Los Alamos as well. When you consider other states that have populations of 2 million or less (North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Alaska, Delaware, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, etc, etc.) NM really holds its own well. I think people need to keep things in perspective.

Again, I love all these comments and opinions about how much better LA/Phoenix/Denver are in relations to Albuquerque. Ironically, the negativity in some of those boards seems to dwarf ours by a mile.

I think a good lession to learn might be that if you have the right attitude you can fit in anywhere. It was like the principle I was taught in college. "If you are a fun person, you can find fun anywhere!" Certainly, Albuquerque was no exception!

Last edited by santafe400; 10-24-2009 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: additional info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque