U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 AM

358 posts, read 705,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
My question for you is, what really does Albuquerque have to be proud of? Is this place an Olympic city? Is there a professional sports team we can all follow? In terms of city development, what has happened recently in Albuquerque that is noteworthy? Are there plans for a light rail? How about big companies. Which companies are locating here to create more jobs and a better economy?

Yeah - I'm gonna say films, production, media developments, and more filming - filming - filming!

A high percentage of the films that most people around the world are watching were recently filmed and produced in ABQ and NM.

Now that's something that neither Portland nor Salt Lake City have.

Umm - the Olympics happened and are over. Sure there are now great skiing venues, and you should be proud of that - but frankly, the Olympics themselves are not the best argument, because you can only live on past glory for so long. Although, more recently Vancouver is the new mecca for the Olympics in February. Ahh - Vancouver - now that's a world-class city!

The filming is happening and is continuing to happen. There are existing studios (ABQ Studios, Rio Grande Studios) and new studios being built (Santa Fe Studios - 40 mins from ABQ).

I'm just sayin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 02:28 PM

5,552 posts, read 9,597,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac
... I am astounded at ... how touchy people are, ...
Pot? Meet kettle.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:03 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,548,515 times
Very happy, but while I was gone.. this city elected a republican...

Make up your mind Albuquerque. thats my slogan.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:46 PM

443 posts, read 781,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I have lived other places and know what a nice town looks, acts and feels like. I have lived in two highly developed, exciting towns, Portland and Salt Lake City, so my standards are pretty high.
Salt Lake City is the most mind numbingly boring city I've ever visited. I have just one visible tattoo, on my forearm, and I was stared at all day every day I was there. I don't even get stared at like that in the south It was such a hassle to get alcohol there, and the stuff I could get tasted like water. I will agree with you that Portland is a really, really cool city - but I have never seen so many meth heads in my life as I did there. Portland makes Abq's meth problem look like nothing and that's saying something. The weather in Portland is horrible also.

Quote:
I was happier living in a more solidly middle class area. If you think that is what Albuquerque is, you are deluded.
Are you saying you wish Albuquerque had more of a middle class population, or that you dislike being around working class people?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
What the??? Albuquerque has not developed since the 70s/80s? That statement right there takes away all credibility from the poster. No, Alb. is not a mega-tropolis and doesn't have to be one to be a good place. Frankly, if I wanted "mega" I'd move somewhere else.

Some people are not happy no matter where they live and some people are never happy about life in general.

Well get used to it, the westside is growing and there is no stopping it. Albuquerque was at 350k in 1990 today it is 525k. So here comes the mega!!

Old 11-09-2009, 10:49 PM

449 posts, read 571,219 times
Bradly, I haven't commented to any of your very pro-growth ABQ responses, but I'll just say this - while ABQ has certainly grown and changed considerably since the 70's, 80's, and even 90's, much of that growth has been unsustainable growth patterns on the west side. I am pro-growth, provided it's smart growth that takes water availability, walkability, and alternative transportation into account. There's plenty of vacant land in the city, and therefore it is irresponsible to grow west. I would say there have been positive strides over the last 5 years or so, but there's alot that needs to be done.

ABQ currently uses about 20% more water than can be sustainably replenished. While a drop in water usage of 20% is not staggering - and yes we could achieve the level of sustainable water use - this reduction becomes incrementally more difficult as more people move to ABQ. I'm just pointing out that there is a big picture element to growth that SW cities will have to confront in a very big way very soon. So, you might temper the pro-sprawl rhetoric.

Additionally, at the current time there is little to no new construction happening on the west mesa, as developers such as SunCal are (thankfully) close to bankrupt.

But hey, despite these confounding issues, yes I am happy in ABQ.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:22 AM

107 posts, read 157,964 times
Default Just Different Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
Salt Lake City is the most mind numbingly boring city I've ever visited. I have just one visible tattoo, on my forearm, and I was stared at all day every day I was there. I don't even get stared at like that in the south It was such a hassle to get alcohol there, and the stuff I could get tasted like water. I will agree with you that Portland is a really, really cool city - but I have never seen so many meth heads in my life as I did there. Portland makes Abq's meth problem look like nothing and that's saying something. The weather in Portland is horrible also.

Are you saying you wish Albuquerque had more of a middle class population, or that you dislike being around working class people?
I left ABQ in September 2009. I moved there from the Upper Midwest in January 2008. While I left since my job hours were reduced tremendously and I didn't get hired elsewhere after looking for three months, I will admit that at times in 2008 I did pass up some good opportunities for a decent job with good benefits. So, in retrospect, I was able to find employment if I had looked hard enough - I also had a decent college education and other work experience.

Of course this year's economic problems left me bitter in some ways. I had to move out of the apartment I went into in 2008, I declared bankruptcy, and I ended up sharing a place with someone and not even able to make the rent there. I made up the back rent to the roommate at the end of September, as planned. It was a tough time.

But, now, where I currently am, I look back and realize I was there for almost two years. I discovered a few years ago the grass is never greener, just different grass. I did get a grocery store checker job here right away, but have not had the good fortune of getting in with corporations and similar places. I'm really tired of looking for good jobs again.

My checker job pays a cut above minimum ($7.75) so I am pretty downwardly mobile these days. I could do just as well in New Mexico, I figured.

I don't think one place is perfect. Since September 2001, my moves went like this: Minnesota to Richmond, VA (had lived there for ten years, prior to 1994) back to Minnesota to Eastern, PA back to MN back to Virginia for a semester of grad work back to MN for two years (in 8/04 to 5/06, thanks Dan - great landlord) to Milwaukee for a year of grad school back to MN in May 07 (thanks Dan again) then to ABQ in January 08, then to Omaha in September 09.

I wouldn't advise this to anyone.

But, when I left Minnesota, I knew I wouldn't be returning again to live. And, I believe that still. Nebraska is nice. Omaha is nice. Certainly different culture from ABQ, but I still have that pull back to New Mexico.

So, I can understand the original person's thread on this: New Mexico does have a certain laid back attitude that is hard for me to take, too.

New Mexico does not have a good diversified economy. New Mexico has its issues. Nebraska unemployment is not even 5%.

But, after many moves, and many jobs, and at my age of 46, and now no debts again except for student loans which offer good payback programs now, and with the corporate culture in many places (which make it difficult for those of us over 40 to get a job, despite education and work experience), I probably wouldn't mind living somewhere again where you can hike a mountain trail just ten minutes from home, after work. I'm no longer on the fast track to a career. I'm tired.

And, time alone on a good hike has always energized me.

So, what I'm saying is that every place has its good points and bad.

I thought I wanted to be somewhere where the work ethic is really strong. But, there is more to life than talking about how many bags of leaves you will get this year.

I feel some people will find something different - good or bad - in every place, whether it be Portland or SLC.

As for having a job before arrival anywhere - I guess it depends on what you have for funds and what you can do, and how much you want to spend on a place to live. I learned in ABQ, after I left my apartment, that it isn't so bad living with someone (first time in 23 years) to save money on rent and other expenses.

My next move will not be to a new place. I'll have a paralegal certificate in hand in 15 months, then I will go. Many things could happen economically by then, too.

New Mexico has its problems, but I guess I could admit it isn't so bad that I have to rule it out for the future, especially considering I'm no longer looking for that high powered career job.

Changing our own attitudes about our experiences in our current and past lives can totally paint a different, and not so bad picture of a place we once lived.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
Bradly, I haven't commented to any of your very pro-growth ABQ responses, but I'll just say this - while ABQ has certainly grown and changed considerably since the 70's, 80's, and even 90's, much of that growth has been unsustainable growth patterns on the west side. I am pro-growth, provided it's smart growth that takes water availability, walkability, and alternative transportation into account. There's plenty of vacant land in the city, and therefore it is irresponsible to grow west. I would say there have been positive strides over the last 5 years or so, but there's alot that needs to be done.

ABQ currently uses about 20% more water than can be sustainably replenished. While a drop in water usage of 20% is not staggering - and yes we could achieve the level of sustainable water use - this reduction becomes incrementally more difficult as more people move to ABQ. I'm just pointing out that there is a big picture element to growth that SW cities will have to confront in a very big way very soon. So, you might temper the pro-sprawl rhetoric.

Additionally, at the current time there is little to no new construction happening on the west mesa, as developers such as SunCal are (thankfully) close to bankrupt.

But hey, despite these confounding issues, yes I am happy in ABQ.

If you look at a map of Albuquerque today (the east side) you can tell it was planned.. and well very neatly, on the other hand the west side is having problems connecting the major raods beacause of the sprawl.

It is very irresponsible to grow outword but its what is happening, and home construction on the west side is busy once again, SunCal may not be building but the land other homebuilding companies own is filling up... and when SunCal recovers, the westside will explode with development.. houses at most.

Sadly SunCal pretty much owns the whole West Mesa area, that Albuquerque will need to grow outward afterthat.. you have to grow inward..

Old 11-10-2009, 04:46 PM

151 posts, read 169,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
If you look at a map of Albuquerque today (the east side) you can tell it was planned.. and well very neatly, on the other hand the west side is having problems connecting the major raods beacause of the sprawl.

It is very irresponsible to grow outword but its what is happening, and home construction on the west side is busy once again, SunCal may not be building but the land other homebuilding companies own is filling up... and when SunCal recovers, the westside will explode with development.. houses at most.

Sadly SunCal pretty much owns the whole West Mesa area, that Albuquerque will need to grow outward afterthat.. you have to grow inward..

Who is building on the westside (or anywhere in the intermountain west)?

Old 11-10-2009, 07:15 PM

449 posts, read 571,219 times
^no one. The only construction going on currently on the westside is renovation work for foreclosed homes that have sat empty for a few years.

In Rio Rancho, there is construction for the new hospital as well as the UNM - Rio Rancho Campus, but there is no residential construction happening (or nothing significant, at any rate). It will take a few years simply to get the currently vacant homes filled before new development will get going again.

However, as the economy picks up, fuel costs will go up - thereby sprawl (in its current form) may be near its end, theoretically speaking. Hopefully trends towards sustainable living and infill development will continue as well.

Bradly, there are very few "small homebuilders" on the west side - it almost completely out of town sprawl corporations (such as Suncal) that own land. Suncal owns much of the westside, but I guess I have to repeat - ABQ will run out of water mighty quick if this "explosive development" happens on the west mesa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque