U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-03-2011, 05:43 PM

239 posts, read 341,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
It's remote, far from other big cities, lacks entertainment, is non progressive, people don't want change, everything closes early, too much crime and political corruption, always dry, don't get to see much water or anything green, no pro sports teams, red light cameras, low paying jobs, i can probably think of more but u get the idea.
Remote is not a problem for me -- being near mountains, hiking, biking is more important. Sun and warmth are important. Cheap flights to some of my favourite cities in the US (San Diego, Portland...have never been to Boulder but it sounds like a nice place to visit, Santa Fe is cool from what I can recall) seems like a great benefit. I currently live in a remote city with NOTHING around it (no mountains, no forests, no desert, no ocean) for a 3 hour drive and with temperatures of -30 Celsius (feels like -50) for 4 months or more of the year and 2 months of summer. I can now walk outside in the winter and actually tell the difference between -10 and -20 and -30. Not my favourite life skill.

What do you consider entertainment? For me it's hiking, biking, exploring new areas, going out to interesting restaurants and playing poker. I dated an Opera singer for 4 years and can live without ever seeing another Opera. Really, I just want to move somewhere warm, get a new dog and enjoy some time outdoors.

How early do things close? What things?

What sort of crime? Does it affect you on a day to day basis? Does it feel unsafe to live there? Are there safe and unsafe neighbourhoods?

In my opinion, all politics are corrupt in every country, province, state, etc. I do not pay attention to politics at all.

Dry is ok...just as dry here, but freezing as well.

Really, no green? I understand it is the high desert, but I see quite a few trees in photos of Albuquerque. Even the houses I see on zillow have grass yards with some trees in comparison to the desert yards I have seen in Vegas, Phoenix and the like.

The only sport I watch is MMA. Sports aren't a big deal to me. I would go to an amateur baseball game or something on a nice sunny day once or twice a year for something different...but it isn't really important to me.

Are red light cameras a big point of contention in the area?

Jobs -- do you feel that the recession has hit Albuquerque harder than other areas?

The bolded are the ones I care about...please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 PM

207 posts, read 396,883 times
Crime.

Albuquerque is a beautiful city but I never felt safe...

Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,513,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwc07 View Post
Crime.

Albuquerque is a beautiful city but I never felt safe...
I never felt safe in the bathroom with my kids always opening the door.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
1. That would be an incorrect assumption.

2. There are plenty of other threads dealing with "Hate" in Albuquerque. You apparently did not see them:
Why I'm leaving Albuquerque
Leaving Albuquerque for Prescott AZ
If you love ABQ ... what do you dislike the most?
Abq isn't a good town
Albuquerque is full of mean spirited bullies
What do you hate most about ABQ?
And there are more...

3. Some people get tired of repeatedly answering the same question's.

4. There have been a few people who have posted who went running away from the area after a period of time...

All forums are not equal.

Rich
Thanks Rich,

I just read them all.

Any comments wrt my questions?

It seems crime is a bit of a problem: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Thanks for all the great photos.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 05:02 AM..

Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM
N8!

2,451 posts, read 2,199,046 times
I'd say fear of crime in ABQ would be something I'd defiantly consider if I were involved with some kind of gang related or criminal enterprise. Seems to be a lot of criminal on criminal violence in town.

But I'm not, so it's not a fear I have. For perspective; I'm far more fearful of my property tax bill, than being mugged/murdered/robbed.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 AM

16,934 posts, read 17,395,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
Thanks Rich,

I just read them all.
Good. There will be a pop quiz at High Noon!

Quote:
Any comments wrt my questions?
To be honest I have pretty much burned out on negativity... The basic question? "Tell me What You Dislike/Hate About Albuquerque" I will try and answer:
1. Barking dogs. There is a thread on the subject someplace.

2. Careless/unsafe drivers. I once drove a wrecker with a Highway Patrol contract. That and two other things slowed me down...

3. People who say: Why don't we have a xxxxx like we do in yyyyy. The technology exists to determine what stores we have here. If we don't have it here and it's that important, go someplace where you will be happy...

4. Cell phones. I understand the radio frequency modulation schemes and understand the A to D process from a previous life. I am amazed with the technology. Then perhaps some smart kid figured how to cram GPS in it, I understand that technology also. We use to have a big "GPS" truck to climb into to find out where we were... If I have to sit in Wendy's while munching on a cheese burger having to listen to someone else telling someone what they are eating, I might go ballistic... I do not and have and never carried a cell phone.

5. Fake people. How polite can I say it? Over the years they have spurted certain key words or buzz words which they probably learned in a social or managers course because they were losers and had to "un-lose" themselves... Some of these words: Joe is a "People person". "Oh I just love the culture." "I want diversity."... Errrrr... I don't know, Maybe that makes no sense... It probably does not make sense to the target audience...

6. People who hate too much, too often, too close to me...

Quote:
It seems crime is a bit of a problem: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Crime is a problem in New Mexico. Maybe that's why I live in Rio Rancho? Maybe more people should move to Dozier, Alabama, Malta, Illinois or Roxie, Mississippi the top 3 safest cities according to City-Data: http://www.city-data.com/top26.html#ixzz1ckhTUFHc

Some people might benefit from some security/safety classes which are many times taught by local law enforcement personnel.

Quote:
Thanks for all the great photos.
Not sure which ones, but I have been practicing for 50+ years, I think I'm getting the hang of it....

Rich

Photo Contests Open For Posting Entries:

September 2014 "Theme" Contest
September 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest

----------

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 05:02 AM..

Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 AM

664 posts, read 650,022 times
I have only lived here for three months, but my biggest concern was crime and also the quality of public schools after reading these forums.

We bought in the far northeast heights, and so far I have felt very safe and haven't seen or heard of any crime in my neighborhood or around me. In Austin and Plano Texas I saw more property crime than I have seen here. I remember my first week in Plano, a guy was murdered in my neighborhood, and Plano is considered a very safe suburb.

From the criteria in your original post, I think ABQ will be perfect for you. I love green, but the beauty of the mountains and the valley here are very striking.

I miss the shopping and restaurants of Dallas and Austin, but there is enough shopping here to keep me happy. Coming from Alberta, I would think the choice is better here for you.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:07 PM

Thanks everyone,

It's nice to hear some positives among all the negative posters online. I understand that forums can lead to more negative posters than positive ones.

Can someone name me the neighbouhoods that are considered "the foothills" areas?

Old 11-04-2011, 02:13 PM
N8!

2,451 posts, read 2,199,046 times
Everything from Four Hills (actually in the Manzanitas - northern most part of the Manzano Mts) north to the Sandia Indian Reservation... and mostly on the east side of Tramway Blvd.

Four Hills
High Desert

Maybe this site will help?
Albuquerque Foothills Area

Old 11-12-2011, 12:30 AM

440 posts, read 517,773 times
Quote:
Remote is not a problem for me -- being near mountains, hiking, biking is more important. Sun and warmth are important. I currently live in a remote city with NOTHING around it (no mountains, no forests, no desert, no ocean) for a 3 hour drive and with temperatures of -30 Celsius (feels like -50) for 4 months or more of the year and 2 months of summer. I can now walk outside in the winter and actually tell the difference between -10 and -20 and -30. Not my favourite life skill.

Really, no green? I understand it is the high desert, but I see quite a few trees in photos of Albuquerque. Even the houses I see on zillow have grass yards with some trees in comparison to the desert yards
Daveydoe... I can relate with what you experience in Edmonton. Dh and I were in Anchorage, AK for 17 years and have been to Edmonton on one occasion; even worked for Edmonton Power Ltd at one point in Anchorage. For green areas, close to Albuquerque....... check out the East Mountain communities just east of Albuquerque (15 miles or less down the road). Communities in the mountains on the flip side of the Sandia mountains that face Albuquerque are: Cedar Crest, Sandia Park (others are Tijeras and Edgewood). Very green mountain areas with skiing as well.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-12-2011 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: Please, no Real Estate ads. Send it to them in DM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque