U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 11-27-2011, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Sacramento Mtns of NM
2,300 posts, read 2,083,598 times
Reputation: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
It's funny that TX has the only accurate history of the American West.
I seriously doubt that past history of borders enters anyone's mind when they are considering their reasons for disliking one another. It's much more likely to have something to do with general resentment toward outsiders, wherever they come from (IMHO). Furthermore, I seriously doubt that many people even know their history well enough for borders to figure in the equation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2011, 08:05 PM
 
1,126 posts, read 745,863 times
Reputation: 1609
I could write a long list of things I don't like about ABQ (and, yes, I am leaving), but I'd just be repeating what others have said. Do take this into consideration: I have a friend who teaches at UNM in environmental studies and he says that, unless things change drastically -- and it doesn't look as though that will happen -- ABQ won't be here in 20 years because we won't have any water. He's leaving in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 07:29 AM
 
Location: ABQ, NM
374 posts, read 326,922 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I could write a long list of things I don't like about ABQ (and, yes, I am leaving), but I'd just be repeating what others have said. Do take this into consideration: I have a friend who teaches at UNM in environmental studies and he says that, unless things change drastically -- and it doesn't look as though that will happen -- ABQ won't be here in 20 years because we won't have any water. He's leaving in a few years.
Hmm, I think you better ask him what he is basing that assertion on since it doesn't seem to be in line with most experts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 08:20 AM
 
Location: OKLAHOMA
1,432 posts, read 1,777,340 times
Reputation: 523
It has been my concern if I moved to Chama, NM that we would be treated as outsiders. Now, after many years of visiting I've never been treated as such but then again maybe because I am visiting only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 AM
 
Location: New Mexico USA
16,374 posts, read 15,996,201 times
Reputation: 16533
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
It has been my concern if I moved to Chama, NM that we would be treated as outsiders. Now, after many years of visiting I've never been treated as such but then again maybe because I am visiting only.
Sometimes you will always be an outsider, but one major factor is how you act and react.

Some people just have to be the "Ugly American....


Rich
__________________


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 09:37 AM
 
Location: OKLAHOMA
1,432 posts, read 1,777,340 times
Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Sometimes you will always be an outsider, but one major factor is how you act and react.

Some people just have to be the "Ugly American....


Rich

I agree! Like I said, I've always had very pleasant conversations with the locals except south of Chama in the village Terra. It is a very hispanic area and we're not so I had/have a worry. But thus far everyone in Chama area is wonderful.

I guess it is more of a concern now as we are at retirement age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 AM
 
Location: New Mexico USA
16,374 posts, read 15,996,201 times
Reputation: 16533
I have a friend in ABQ who is from Chama, with family still up there. I like the area, but I have lived in rural areas before, Spanish is my native language, and I still prefer living near all the things we have learned to enjoy, including the medical facilities here in Rio Rancho and ABQ.


Rich
__________________


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
2,118 posts, read 2,286,192 times
Reputation: 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Oh yes, I forgot about Minot. Well-known for its great mountains, "big city" entertainment, open-minded people, cultural diversity, proximity to big cities, great food... now I know what I've been missing all along.... This guy really knows where it's at!
Nice try on the straw man argument, never said Minot had any of those things, as you imply it within your first sentence. I never connected Minot to Albuquerque in regards to those things I don't like about ABQ. I simply said, I enjoyed Minot more than Albuquerque. I've been to, traveled and lived on almost every continent in the world. Big cities, small cities, poor cities. I'm not an expert, but I do have some experience. I never said anything I stated was fact, it's just simply my opinion. If you or anyone else mistakes what I said for fact, than that is a fault not by me.

Give me the crying emoticon face all you want, but it's my opinion and that's what I believe the OP asked for.

I'm sorry I don't like your city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Old Town
1,577 posts, read 1,259,118 times
Reputation: 1122
You'd think someone with all that worldly experience would know how to get out and explore the true essence of a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 07:07 AM
Status: "formerly caphillsea77" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: New Mexico
6,932 posts, read 6,912,838 times
Reputation: 7160
Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
It is always a good idea to live within your means, regardless of where you are at. I have been on your side of the argument when I lived in Michigan. My ten-year-old son is living there again and I won't go there because of my place in the economy - I was poor there too. It may not seem like it but my son is incredibly important to me. Living in Albuquerque makes it possible for me to do what I need to do for many reasons. You have to decide what is important to you and have faith in that.



It is never a good idea to live where you do not like living. I have lived in seven different states for at least a year, so I know what I am talking about. If you don't like the pervasive attitude you get from being here, don't come here. Of course you have to realize that the pervasive attitude really comes from you and the people you associate with.

However, and this is something else I have suffered from in the past, you might want to look in the mirror and see who is really lazy and not meeting their potential. A place does not hold you back, you do.



Having lived in San Francisco and Washington, DC for thirteen years combined I know what it is like to be around people who seem to be involved in life more than others - the so-called Movers and Shakers. That is just an illusion. There are all types of people everywhere.

The thing that I noticed most when I came back to Albuquerque after being gone for so long is that people are much more relaxed here. Relaxed to me means that people live at their own pace here and do not necessarily 'keep up with the Jones' as much. That can either be a blessing or not. The great thing about life is that you get to decide.




I deal with the outside world better now by realizing that I don't have a damn thing to do with it. The outside world is an illusion. It can be depicted by the world of television, the world of scholarship, the world of sport, etc. There are as many worlds out there as there are people. I deal with my world on the scale that I can deal with, me.

Take some time to figure out who you are. Can you sit in a room for three hours without turning something on? Do you like yourself? Do you know yourself? If not, the first step to your happiness (which is not a destination, by the way - it's only a state of mind that people can visit) is to get to know yourself. If you are not happy with yourself then do something to make yourself happy.

It sounds like you are underemployed like I was when I was in Michigan. Underemployed meant for me that I couldn't get a job that paid well unless I went to where my industry thrived. Better education was not an option for me because what I want to do (what makes me fulfilled and whole as the person that I know myself to be) comes from inside of me, not from more or better diplomas. I had to learn that about myself and accept my limitations. I don't focus on my limitations anymore, but on the things I can control and do to make my particular life better.

Now I work toward my larger goal by accomplishing smaller goals that are on the right path. Time is going to march on whether you like it or not. You can take small steps every day or you can **** and moan until years have passed and you are less resilient. Believe me, it is much harder to get somewhere when you are older than when you are younger. If you have to give up all your friends to find yourself, do it. After all, your "friends" don't do a damn thing to make you feel fulfilled. They go home to their lives and don't think about you until it pleases them.
Written two years ago and just as brilliant as the day as it was written. Unfortunately I couldn't rep this one as the poster is no longer a member, but God bless this guy for sharing his words of wisdom. He really drives and resonates the point that geography can be fairly irrelevant when one is unhappy, but it sure makes an easy scapegoat. I aboslutely love what is written here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top