Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:38 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
So if ABQ is a town of slackers, count me in!
Me too!

Oh wait, I am already here. LOL

I love it, and cannot image leaving.

Life is what one makes it.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:54 PM

361 posts, read 1,092,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
So if ABQ is a town of slackers, count me in!

Count me in too!!!!

I miss those slacker days during the first two years of college.

I think ABQ is a great place where I'd rather be out hiking or riding a bike, instead of sitting in my office in front of a computer, or on a bus, or train, or in the parking lot called an expressway here. I feel like I'm wasting my life indoors (necause of weather, or because of deadlines), or staring at a sea of cars, in a sea of people who don't even acknowledge each other half the time.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:40 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casden View Post
Count me in too!!!!

I miss those slacker days during the first two years of college.

I think ABQ is a great place where I'd rather be out hiking or riding a bike, instead of sitting in my office in front of a computer, or on a bus, or train, or in the parking lot called an expressway here. I feel like I'm wasting my life indoors (necause of weather, or because of deadlines), or staring at a sea of cars, in a sea of people who don't even acknowledge each other half the time.

I love being a slacker too and I hate traffic and everything you said, that is why I wanna be in a small town, even though ABQ is like a giant small town.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:07 PM

125 posts, read 453,356 times
I was born, raised and spent most of my life in the South Valley. One of the things I am most bitter about is that I had no choice but to live and grow up there. It was a demoralizing and deflating experience. I grew up around gangs, cholos, and poverty. The experiences of my teenage years and twenties and those of my friends and siblings were marked by those things. Violence, destitution, hopelessness.

that should answer the question. There are much better places to live in the U.S.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:43 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post
I was born, raised and spent most of my life in the South Valley. One of the things I am most bitter about is that I had no choice but to live and grow up there. It was a demoralizing and deflating experience. I grew up around gangs, cholos, and poverty. The experiences of my teenage years and twenties and those of my friends and siblings were marked by those things. Violence, destitution, hopelessness.
Perhaps it would be more honest (and maybe more insightful) if you would just post the above quote as you carpet bomb multiple threads, instead of the inflammatory posts you feel compelled to make. Or at least preface all your posts with the quote, as it might help others view the context of your hatred for the Duke City.

Chap

Old 08-30-2009, 08:10 AM

244 posts, read 298,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post

that should answer the question. There are much better places to live in the U.S.
I lived in San Francisco for almost ten years. I remember hearing a piece on National Public Radio when I was there that there were some kids who grew up there that had never seen the ocean because they were afraid to leave their neighborhood for fear of crossing other gang lines. I was shocked. San Francisco is only seven square miles! One could literally walk from one side of it to the other in a couple of hours.

People impose most limitations on themselves. I was fortunate not to grow up with too many limitations imposed on me, so I never lived with the thought that I couldn't do things. Although I grew up in a good neighborhood, I did not have the kind of parents who gave me good direction when it came to my future. That has always haunted me because I think if I were better informed about the possibilities I would have made different decisions as I have grown older, and I would not have to be working so hard to make a future for myself and my son that will guarantee my future as an elderly Albuquerquean.

But there are too many people out there (here in this town and anywhere you go) who are willing to help those people who want help and make good efforts to help themselves, even if it is only information. I refuse to believe that all is hopeless and I almost pity those who do feel that way. If you believe the world around is terrible then it is. Those people who feel Albuquerque is such a terrible place probably don't do much to modify their behaviors and change their world from the inside out. Everyone always seems to want other people to do the work for them.

Bulletin: It isn't going to happen.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:48 AM

184 posts, read 804,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
I lived in San Francisco for almost ten years. I remember hearing a piece on National Public Radio when I was there that there were some kids who grew up there that had never seen the ocean because they were afraid to leave their neighborhood for fear of crossing other gang lines. I was shocked. San Francisco is only seven square miles! One could literally walk from one side of it to the other in a couple of hours.

People impose most limitations on themselves. I was fortunate not to grow up with too many limitations imposed on me, so I never lived with the thought that I couldn't do things. Although I grew up in a good neighborhood, I did not have the kind of parents who gave me good direction when it came to my future. That has always haunted me because I think if I were better informed about the possibilities I would have made different decisions as I have grown older, and I would not have to be working so hard to make a future for myself and my son that will guarantee my future as an elderly Albuquerquean.

But there are too many people out there (here in this town and anywhere you go) who are willing to help those people who want help and make good efforts to help themselves, even if it is only information. I refuse to believe that all is hopeless and I almost pity those who do feel that way. If you believe the world around is terrible then it is. Those people who feel Albuquerque is such a terrible place probably don't do much to modify their behaviors and change their world from the inside out. Everyone always seems to want other people to do the work for them.

Bulletin: It isn't going to happen.

Word!

PS.. MMposting: I think a change of scenery is definitely needed for you rather than continually spreading your discord throughout these ABQ threads. We got it.. You are unhappy. Hopefully more people who really want to make a positive go of things will continue to relocate to Albuquerque... Being Happy.. well.. that's what it's all about! I hope you find some happiness somewhere.. but it certainly doesn't sound like ABQ does it for you... "Time to Move On"....

Skysz..

Old 09-03-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
Perhaps it would be more honest (and maybe more insightful) if you would just post the above quote as you carpet bomb multiple threads, instead of the inflammatory posts you feel compelled to make. Or at least preface all your posts with the quote, as it might help others view the context of your hatred for the Duke City.

Chap

Actually I think you're probably right.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:29 PM

Yes, definitely. Believe me I'm working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyszlimit View Post
Word!

PS.. MMposting: I think a change of scenery is definitely needed for you rather than continually spreading your discord throughout these ABQ threads. We got it.. You are unhappy. Hopefully more people who really want to make a positive go of things will continue to relocate to Albuquerque... Being Happy.. well.. that's what it's all about! I hope you find some happiness somewhere.. but it certainly doesn't sound like ABQ does it for you... "Time to Move On"....

Skysz..

Old 09-06-2009, 10:20 PM

132 posts, read 347,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I thought about moving back to Albuquerque but I am bit hesitant because of the following reasons:

Land of Enchantment soon becomes Land of Entrapment: Beautiful skies, mountains are all great but after a while it is almost as if the beauty of the state fades away when you are poor and cannot find a good job.

"Land of manana" attitude to life: "No problem, we will get it done" type of attitude, but in reality nothing gets done also known as chronic incompetence

Low standards/Low expectations culture: Very prevalent in Albuquerque and the Land of Enchantment.

Anyways, how do you deal with these things? Are you happy in Albuquerque? Ever thought about leaving, if so WHY?
I would be happy if I could find a JOB! I came out here two years ago when my Mom got really sick (I had saved up like 20K) and since I've been here I can't even get a job at Jiffy Lube. I'm a 43 year old female with a college degree and 3 years as a Army Officer.

I'm sure I had a job, I'd like it better. But for me The Land of Enchantment has definitely become The Land of Entrapment for me.

I also have yet to get "acclimatized" to the weather. The heat I don't mind, but the constant blinding sunshine drives me crazy. I'm one of those rare people who need at least two cloudy days a week.

And yes, it's beautiful here, but with no job, it's hard to appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque