Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 AM

642 posts, read 1,110,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I also suspect many posting route plans aren't regular ABQ Ride patrons.
That's probably because they can afford to drive. I tried to be a regular ABQ Ride patron, but service to my area (Northwest ABQ) is inadequate being that the three decent lines that can get me into town (blue line, 157, Coors) stop running after 9 or so, giving me a curfew I haven't had since I was probably 9 or 10. And Sunday service is reduced to an extended lunch hour, if the line even runs that day at all <cough> blue line <cough>.

Quote:
Take #8, my main route. It runs from the Montgomery Park & Ride at Montgomery/Tramway, down Menaul, to the ATC downtown. Most of the ridership on this route is NOT commuters headed to work downtown (except for the Monday jury duty crowd). The route is constantly loading/unloading all along the entire route and transfer points are heavily used. Extending it to Central isn't necessarily a good idea. A better idea would be to add stops on Tramway at Candelaria and Commance, serving two areas seriously in need of bus service.
I think there are a lot of potential commuters though if there were more express routes between the transit hubs and business districts. And I agree that Tramway should have some better service. People assume residents there wouldn't ride the bus, but I don't know if they're ever given them a chance to prove that theory right or wrong.

Quote:
I would like to give kudos to ABQ Ride though - the changes the past 6 months or so have been great! Especially love the change to the 157 route!!
Yeah, the consolidation of those two routes (3 and 157) was a good idea, I just wish they ran later and more on Sundays. For as much as I complain about it though, transit here does keep improving and it's infinitely better now than it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 02:27 AM

I was thinking rather than looping the red and green lines on the freeways, that it would probably make more sense to have separate 'express rapid ride' lines that use smaller, lighter, more fuel-efficient buses or vans. For example, on the 'rapid red line express' from Central/Unser to Uptown, all they would need is two vans going back and forth to provide service every 15 minutes, and 3 for service every 10 or so.

Here is what the 'rapid ride express' network would look like, adding routes from the north of ABQ (Paseo/I-25) to downtown and uptown:

Old 01-18-2013, 02:52 AM

...And here's what it would look like with the proposed blue line loop:

Old 01-20-2013, 11:30 AM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,093,731 times
I would really like the Rapid Ride on San Mateo and Montgomery, and if there was a way to bridge the gap on Coors between I-40 and Central where the local bus is a long wait between buses. Running lots of buses on Unser wouldn't make sense to me; I drive Unser with frequency and a good portion of it doesn't even have any business or residential (particularly between Dellyne and up past Paseo). The best way to improve west side busses I think would be more service on Coors. I'd also like it if the 16/18 bus could be replaced with more buslines that serve that area better, though I don't know how one could improve that without running a lot of empty buses. University could benefit from a better bus service, as you can't always rely on the UNM Courtesy shuttles that run between South Campus/Lobo Village and the University.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I would really like the Rapid Ride on San Mateo and Montgomery, and if there was a way to bridge the gap on Coors between I-40 and Central where the local bus is a long wait between buses. Running lots of buses on Unser wouldn't make sense to me; I drive Unser with frequency and a good portion of it doesn't even have any business or residential (particularly between Dellyne and up past Paseo). The best way to improve west side busses I think would be more service on Coors. I'd also like it if the 16/18 bus could be replaced with more buslines that serve that area better, though I don't know how one could improve that without running a lot of empty buses. University could benefit from a better bus service, as you can't always rely on the UNM Courtesy shuttles that run between South Campus/Lobo Village and the University.
I agree with you about that stretch of Coors, and for being a primary transit line the operating hours should be better. On Sundays, service doesn't begin until after 10 AM, so people can't get to church or wherever have to find another way to get there. As far as the Unser line, that would be more appropriate further down the line when there is more development along that stretch.

Here's an updated version of the concept map with 3 new lines. One services University and Carlisle, the other would serve Eubank and Zuni/Lead/Coal and the other is a small loop around UNM that would serve Yale, Girard, and a small section of University. I have it wrapping around at Lomas but was thinking it could go all the way to Indian School as well:

Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 AM

And for the sake of comparison here's the existing bus network in ABQ (not including commuter routes that only run during rush hour):

Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 AM

142 posts, read 322,335 times
I am impressed with the time that you have taken to create that map. I hope that the city does improve its bus lines. Have you submitted your map to the city transit dept?

Old 02-27-2015, 06:36 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,549,958 times
ABQ bus rapid transit construction may begin late 2015
Published on Feb 26, 2015, KRQE News 13, Albuquerque News and Weather

The city’s latest update on a proposed bus rapid transit project
shows just how quickly some construction related to the
project could happen along Central.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:03 PM

707 posts, read 742,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
ABQ bus rapid transit construction may begin late 2015
Published on Feb 26, 2015, KRQE News 13, Albuquerque News and Weather

The city’s latest update on a proposed bus rapid transit project
shows just how quickly some construction related to the
project could happen along Central.
I think they should have went a little more "southwest" with the design, but that's just me. Also I noticed that the BRT only runs from Coors to Louisiana the rest uses the more familiar mixed-use lanes. Hopefully they can move the Rapid Ride buses on central to other routes, Unser being the longest and most obvious example of a road that desperately needs a route.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:07 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,093,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
I think they should have went a little more "southwest" with the design, but that's just me. Also I noticed that the BRT only runs from Coors to Louisiana the rest uses the more familiar mixed-use lanes. Hopefully they can move the Rapid Ride buses on central to other routes, Unser being the longest and most obvious example of a road that desperately needs a route.
From what I've heard when I've asked people involved, the plan is to move the Rapid Ride routes around. I'd imagine the most likely new Rapid Ride routes would mirror the current 4th Street routes, the 5 (Downtown/UNM/Carlisle/Montgomery) with a route on San Mateo. I'm sure any or all of these would get a Rapid Ride route before Unser would. I actually like the design of the stations! They remind me of miniature Denver International Airports But yes, a local line on Unser would be cool, and maybe a connection between CNM Westside and the Northwest Transit Centre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque