Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarase07 View Post
I have to agree with some of the responses on the down side. lived here over 20 yrs. the drugs, gangs, DWI, violence is one of the worst in the country. It is not an insult to "Albuquerquians" it is just a reality.
I agree. Once again, Albuquerque is a very beautiful and interesting city, but it has a LOT of "social problems". Drugs are everywhere and alcoholism is epidemic. I have seen things in Albuquerque that I had never seen any other place in the country i.e: Group of young Native Americans fighting each other by that Octopus Car Wash(Central/San Mateo) at 3 pm, this is one of the centralmost points in this city, one of the guys is bloody everywhere, everybody sees it, no one does a damn thing, no cops around. One day, I was walking by San Mateo and Montgomery, I see this guy beat the hell out of another Native like at 3 pm, the guy fell to the ground, I walked by him, he was just laying there, face covered with desert dust, all bloody, I tried to flag down a cop, he did not even look at us. There are parks in Albuquerque where you can walk by in the afternoon and see not one person, but bunch of people just sitting around doing marijuana, crack, meth etc. There is a lot of domestic violence and disturbances in this city because of alcohol and drugs, there are some classic episode of COPS in Albuquerque that show this aspect of the city. One in particular that shocked me is the shootout that took place on the campus of the University of New Mexico, the guy in the wheelchair that shot at the cops and ended up dead a few years ago. This city can be a very chaotic place!

Last edited by lukeache; 10-08-2007 at 12:14 AM..

Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
lukeache reported:

> i.e: Group of young Native Americans fighting each other ...

Why is it relevent that the people fighting each other were
a specific ethnic group?

Old 10-08-2007, 09:51 AM

811 posts, read 2,940,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
lukeache reported:

> i.e: Group of young Native Americans fighting each other ...

Why is it relevent that the people fighting each other were
a specific ethnic group?
Well it may be why this person has such a horrible perspective of Albuquerque!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:00 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,025 times
I dont feel like I have a horrible perspective of Albuquerque, but my perspective is at least realistic. Once again, Albuquerque is one of the few places that I have lived in that I still go back to and there has never been a trip to New Mexico that was not pleasant or interesting. Last time I was in ABQ, I was driving to Santa Fe. I turned on the radio and this ad came on "Bernalillo County is hiring for corrections officers", the start pay was like 11 something/hr and that struck me as being very low pay, for such dangerous job. Then, I remembered that NM has one of the lowest wages in the nation. I am afraid that as this city grows, wages will remain stagnant and that will create even more social problems. A lot of the "social problems" that I see in Albuquerque are directly related to poverty, poor educational standards, drug abuse, alcoholism and just overall ignorance. It is a city and a state with very low standards, when it comes to wages, education, and infra structure. I have been to places in New Mexico where if a person has a job, it is almost like, they are something special.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:12 AM

11 posts, read 34,395 times
Is Albuquerque a good place to move if you are a young single female from Nyc? Where are the best places to live there (safe)? Also what are the best hospitals?

Old 10-08-2007, 12:00 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,612 times
Best place to live is the Far North East heights (North of Academy is best). Best hospitals:
Pres. for Heart, Births
Lovelace for Cancer
UNM for burns, children, and hearts

Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I agree. Once again, Albuquerque is a very beautiful and interesting city, but it has a LOT of "social problems". Drugs are everywhere and alcoholism is epidemic. I have seen things in Albuquerque that I had never seen any other place in the country i.e: Group of young Native Americans fighting each other by that Octopus Car Wash(Central/San Mateo) at 3 pm, this is one of the centralmost points in this city, one of the guys is bloody everywhere, everybody sees it, no one does a damn thing, no cops around. One day, I was walking by San Mateo and Montgomery, I see this guy beat the hell out of another Native like at 3 pm, the guy fell to the ground, I walked by him, he was just laying there, face covered with desert dust, all bloody, I tried to flag down a cop, he did not even look at us. There are parks in Albuquerque where you can walk by in the afternoon and see not one person, but bunch of people just dositting around ing marijuana, crack, meth etc. There is a alto of domestic olence and disturbances in this city because of alcohol and drugs, there are some classic episode of COPS in Albuquerque that show this aspect of the city. One in particular that shocked me is the shootout that took place on the campus of the University of New Mexico, the guy in the wheelchair that shot at the cops and ended up dead a few years ago. This city can be a very chaotic place!
Central and San Mateo is very far south on the city. It is no way central in any respect. What park were at?

The fact of the matter is, Albuquerque has a lot of crime. It is however, very isolated. If you south of I-40, crime will be much greater. If you are North of Montgomery, crime is reduced exponentially. If you are north of Academy, you are very safe. If you are north of Paseo Del Norte, and east of Wyoming, there is virtually no crime what so ever.

That is the fact of the matter.

BTW, if you see two people fighting, the best thing to do is CALL the Cops. I am surprised that if the incident is outside an Octopus Car Wash, nobody called anybody. I have lived in Albuquerque for a very long time, and I can tell you, I feel very safe. Yes there may be a lot of domestic violence, but how does that affect people who move here. If you stay clean, you will be clean. If you aren't in the drug business, you will be excluded out of 80% of all crimes. If you stay astute, and don't go to the "ghetto" and stare at people, I would say you would be just fine. End of Story.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:21 PM

116 posts, read 471,908 times
I have lived in NM all my life, and am now planning an out of state relocation. The schools are horrible, rife with overcrowding, incompetence, and constant scandal. The job market is sketchy. My husband is topped out in his technical career here at the ripe old age of 36. thats why we are moving. The pay is a joke even if you can find a job. The state we are moving to offers him 50% pay increase for the same job. And it is a state with a comprable cost of living. In fact, housing is CHEAPER there. There is a lot in the news about the number of officers on our streets right now, contributing to the crime rate. Law Enforcement is constantly recruiting but the pay ($15.00 hr) is simply not worth the risk for most people. I love the state itself, the scenery, the people, the culture and all my family lives here but its time for a change for the better.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:30 PM

What state are you moving to? What city?

Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
Best place to live is the Far North East heights (North of Academy is best).
For a young, single girl from NYC?!?

Seriously, If you are a middle-aged family man who wants a mortgage on a McMansion and and a three-car garage with enough room for his Escalade and the pool table his wife won't allow into the house and to be well insulated from the real New Mexico, then the far North East Heights is your place.

A young single girl from NYC would probably want to look into the Downtown-EDo-UNM-Nob Hill corridor.

Just my educated opinion,

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque