Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2007, 04:02 PM

811 posts, read 2,933,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzy View Post
Hmmm. Well in Minnesota you're surrounded by - Norwegians!! Rewrite your posts and sub "hispanic" with "norwegian" and you can see how dumb it is...

It's called history. Sorry if it doesn't always include the race you are most comfortable with. That's the ways of the earth.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain (Lukeache).......he may have been beaten up by a hispanic some time in his life, to develope his dislike of hispanic people.

Last edited by observe; 11-04-2007 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 11-08-2007, 07:54 PM

29 posts, read 160,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
lukeache trolled:

> ... If you dont like Hispanics, ...

If someone don't like any group of people based on race, color,
sex, religion, then they are a bigot in which case, giving
advice after that point is pointless. Why mention it?
Not only that - as he said, some have been there for 500 years - which means we are the newbies to Albuquerque - not them. And oh my god, they actually want to retain their own culture - the nerve! I don't like the crime in Albuquerque but I love the diversity.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:59 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,206,030 times
Many people don't like Norwegians. They are a violent, white-skinned people who eat strange food. Oh, and they first visited North America a thousand years ago.

ABQConvict

Old 11-15-2007, 01:08 PM

68 posts, read 351,084 times
I'm probably one of the only people who actually agree with the original poster, but then again, I was also fortunate enough to spend most of my life in more expensive, higher class areas. ABQ, NM is a great place to visit, but moving there from the SF Bay Area (Lived There), Oregon (Born There) or Seattle WA area (Lived There) is a terrible idea. The poverty is out of control, I mean, I saw some poor native american man passed out on the side of the road. I thought about offering him some assitance, but if I had stopped for everyone I saw publicly intoxicated or passed out in ABQ, i'd have never left the city! I asked a local resident, and he said that alcoholism is a major problem in NM, as is DUI. The economy isn't very good either, unless you work for the government. The Northeastern side does a some nice parts, but I'm going to need more than one decent area in a city of 500,000 to make me want to move there. Like I said, great place to visit, not so great place to move to from certain areas...

Old 11-15-2007, 01:15 PM

361 posts, read 1,089,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoeboxDiaries541 View Post
I'm probably one of the only people who actually agree with the original poster, but then again, I was also fortunate enough to spend most of my life in more expensive, higher class areas. ABQ, NM is a great place to visit, but moving there from the SF Bay Area (Lived There), Oregon (Born There) or Seattle WA area (Lived There) is a terrible idea. The poverty is out of control, I mean, I saw some poor native american man passed out on the side of the road. I thought about offering him some assitance, but if I had stopped for everyone I saw publicly intoxicated or passed out in ABQ, i'd have never left the city! I asked a local resident, and he said that alcoholism is a major problem in NM, as is DUI. The economy isn't very good either, unless you work for the government. The Northeastern side does a some nice parts, but I'm going to need more than one decent area in a city of 500,000 to make me want to move there. Like I said, great place to visit, not so great place to move to from certain areas...
When did you live there - in the 1980's or 1990's?

I've been to Seattle many times, my brother used to live in Oregon, and I lived in the SF Bay area for 4 years. They're all nice areas, but are also "highly over-rated" How's that for a generalization (just a little sarcasm!)

Old 11-15-2007, 01:24 PM

710 posts, read 2,954,782 times
My wife is from San Francisco as well. She actually feels the NE and the Westside north of I-40 is much newer than most areas of the Bay Area. Of course she misses some of the big city amenities, but not the prices. The DUI issue is not as bad as it was just 5 years ago, but still needs some work. The economy is growing faster than the national average as is personal income. Forbes recently ranked us 4th or 5th for income growth and job creation. Research the business magazines like Forbes, Kiplingers, and many others to see how strong our economy is. We are no longer dependant only on government jobs, although that is still the largest portion and one of the highest paying (great retirement too)! So yes, we have issues, but I guarantee for those of you who have not witnessed our incredible growth the last 5 years first hand, you have missed some incredibly good changes. For those of you coming from the big coastal cities, yes Albuquerque will be a shock, but for many who have moved here from those areas they love it. But they were ready for something unique, different, and slower. If you don't think you'll like that then don't waste your time. For those that can, please join us in the Land of Enchantment!

I also want to clarify that NM as a state is the second or third poorest, this is mainly confined to the small very rural areas, which make up 1/2 of our states small population. Therefore it weighs the average down as it such a big %. ABQ is actually not that poor. There are some areas that are, like any mid to large city, but there are some incredibly nice areas, and a plethora of new million dollars homes all over the NE Heights, ABQ's Westside, Rio Rancho, Placitas, Corrales, and even the East Mountains.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,206,030 times
I like how some people who post here consider poverty to be a communicable disease.

"Ooh, look out! An impoverished person with Aquanet-breath almost touched me! Let's get out of here! Pretty mountains, though!"

ABQConvict

Old 11-15-2007, 09:29 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,903,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I like how some people who post here consider poverty to be a communicable disease.

"Ooh, look out! An impoverished person with Aquanet-breath almost touched me! Let's get out of here! Pretty mountains, though!"

ABQConvict
HA HA HA!!! Thanks for making my day

Oh and by the way, for all those "upper class people" Oregon, Seattle and San Francisco claim to have...a sizable chunk probably have summer homes in Santa Fe. Don't forget, Bill Gates started Microsoft in Albuquerque. The Hilton family made its fortune in New Mexico. People don't give New Mexico enough credit. Oh well, I guess more Albuquerque for me to enjoy!!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 05:41 PM

85 posts, read 262,922 times
I think this thread got way out of hand. Now granted, the original poster should have been politically saavy enough not to point out the Hispanic population the way s/he did, but nonetheless, it is a fact. I had no problem living amidst Hispanics, in fact most of the people in the NE middle class neighborhood that i lived in were Hispanic. Everyone was friendly with each other and that was great. I lived in ABQ for 18 years. NM is in the top 10 for crime PER CAPITA, NM is usually in teh top 10 for dumbest states, and it has a huge DWI problem (again, one of the top 10 states).

As far as teh homeless problem, I think that perhaps it is just more visible and therefore psychologically seems worse than other areas of the country. There are no woods in ABQ for the homeless to use as shelter and ABQ has such a network of sidewalks it is easy for them to get around to all areas of town, making them more visible.

Personally, I wouldn't call the culture diverse per se. THe culture (museums, art and craft fairs, etc.) primarily focuses on Hispanics and Native Americans, and well it should because this is primarily NM's history make-up. That's perfectly fine, but that's TWO cultures. Perhaps culturally RICH is more accurate, in that the Hispanics and Native Americans continue to hold to their traditions more tightly in this area of the country. I would say a place like NYC has cultural diversity in that it celebrates Hispanics, Chinese, Italians, and the list goes on. And, if cultural diversity would be defined as various races coexisting side by side, that would percentage-wise equate to about three races (caucasian, hispanic and native american) in NM, which again, in my mind isn't that culturally diverse compared to a place like NYC.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:23 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,982,598 times
Default Article from the Journal

Monday, November 12, 2007

Young Are Flocking to Duke City

By Gene Grant

In the ongoing debate over just exactly "who" constitutes this new generation of mobile young Americans, where they chose to live and for what reasons, one thing is perfectly clear: Albuquerque is in the conversation.

Now come the latest metrics that show the pull of the sun is a serious attraction for the 25 to 34 set.

The recently released U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey results for 2000 through 2006 reveal a rather startling pattern that cannot be chalked up anywhere near to coincidence, with so-called Sun Belt cities like Phoenix, San Antonio, Texas, Austin, Las Vegas, Nev., Oklahoma City, Tucson, and yes, Albuquerque, showing top tier gains.

To the tune of 10 percent or more in that short period of time.

Simply, if you are in this demographic, this entire country is your oyster, with place of birth, parents and peers be damned. These kids are considering any given city as "home" for a variety of nontraditional reasons.

This is a rather interesting change of pace, considering that the previous period tracked, 1990 to 2000, pegged the top five metros for growth in this age group as Las Vegas, Austin, Phoenix, Atlanta and Raleigh-Durham, N.C. Even though 'Vegas, Austin and Phoenix are also on that list, their rate of growth in the age group has slowed markedly.

The numbers for cities losing young people lately are shocking, with San Francisco and Pittsburgh losing 30 percent, Philadelphia 15 percent, New York City and Los Angeles 10 percent, Seattle 14 percent, and Boston 13 percent. Chicago is losing 14 percent and Indianapolis nearly 10 percent, and so on.

In fact, of the 40 largest cities in the country, only nine have shown increases in this age group. Inside that choice is the question of jobs and housing. Meaning, can I find or create work and can I afford a home? Many of these lagging cities are simply not affordable anymore.

There's a simple logic here. If you live in a struggling Rust Belt or snowy locale, a sunny clime starts to look attractive.

Younger people have flipped on its head the notion that with increased age comes the desire for more sun.

A few years ago I was one of five people from Albuquerque to fly to Pittsburgh to meet with then-darling Richard Florida, author of "The Rise of the Creative Class," which made a lot of noise on this idea of the transient youngster. Florida was quite bullish on Albuquerque, having ranked us No. 1 in his book for midsized cities for the so-called "creative class," which is made up in the main of this age group.

If you recall the hullabaloo, a lot of folks were not going there.

They didn't buy it. You might also recall that the leading idea then was making New Mexico appealing to retiring boomers instead. Solid idea, but while the debate raged the younger set have voted with their feet.

So what does that mean for us? It may be a tad early to make a firm call, beyond the ephemeral bonuses of energy and creativity, which is abundantly apparent. What we can hope for is an uptick in the professional career categories, since this group is armed with education, but it may be that the horse will be chasing the wagon in the short term.

Regardless, it's a reality in the here and now that would serve whoever is planning on running for mayor next cycle to pay some serious attention to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque