Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:54 PM

9 posts, read 35,106 times

Advertisements

Casden (I hope I spelled this correctly),

I lived in St. Louis, which has one of the highest crime rates for a medium-sized urban area. Each year it seems Detroit or St. Louis vie to be rated as the "Most Dangerous City in America". What you won't read is that crime is often localized and involves those already involved in crime.

Crime in Albuquerque is an issue, and continues to be one. Visiting a city is wonderful; I have visited Chicago many times and absolutely loved it! However, the difference between living in a city and visiting is that you only experience a "snapshot" of the city, and frequently this snapshot brims with only positives. The many times I visited ABQ before moving here, I thought it was a unique and fun city.

Now I realize that the gang-related violence doesn't restrict itself to one section of the city. For instance, recently a woman visiting from Chicago was stabbed as she was walking back to her sister's house near Academy and Eubank. That specific area is traditionally a very lovely, clean, "nice part" of the NE Heights.

I live near one of the nicer golf courses, close to ABQ Academy and nowhere near the state fair grounds. In other words, I live in a "nice part" of the NE Heights.

It's been my understanding that when you actually begin speaking with residents of the NE Heights (i.e., store owners, grocery store clerks, etc.) you'll hear much of what I am expressing.

Read the comments made after an online news story. Go to Albuquerque News, New Mexico Breaking News, Weather & Sports - KOAT Albuquerque's Channel 7 or KOB.com - Home - Eyewitness News 4 - Albuquerque and New Mexico News, Weather, Sports. So many residents say the same thing: crime is increasing and authorities are easy on convicted perpetrators. <mod cut><provoking an argument>

I think it's only fair to paint an accurate depiction of the city, especially for those considering moving here. People need to know what they are "getting themselves into" in order to make an informed decision. Throwing out names of attractive bars or restaurants doesn't portray the complete identity of a location, it only gives meal/drinking options.

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 02-29-2008 at 12:45 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 10:34 AM

361 posts, read 1,092,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveit2day View Post
<mod cut><orphaned>
I've been doing my homework daily for 32 years when I lived in Albuquerque. I now do my homework at least 2 times a year when I visit friends and family in Albuquerque. With that kind of experience in Albuquerque I believe that I can give a pretty accurate depiction of the city.

Furthermore, since you're making the statement of comparisons between Midwest cities and Albuquerque, I think that you should post the statistics I asked for earlier and not ask me to do my homework. I'm not making the genarilized statement about violent crime increasing in Albuquerque so why should I research evidence to back it up.

All I'm saying is that if you make a general statement and claim that it's a fact, please back it up with stats and specifics, and maybe a little comparative analysis, that way we know your not just blatantly expressing your personal dissapointments about a place. Or if it is just your opinion, than state that that's exactly what it is, "your opinion".

I'm not saying that there is no crime in Albuquerque, but merely saying that having lived and traveled in other cities around the US (and the world), I find it extremely difficult, and even impossible to believe that the crime in Albuquerque is consistent in all parts of the city.

...once again everything you state in your posts can be applied to most any large city in the US, because there are random acts of violence that sometimes happen in the better parts of any city - although it's not typical. And my experience tells me that it's about as typical in Albuquerque as it is in Detroit, St Louis, Phoenix, Chicago, Tuscon, Tampa, Dayton, etc...

As far as hearing your examples. I really don't need examples, as I read the ABQ news on the internet practically every day. And what I read is no different than when I read the Chicago news - (ABQ crime is just on a smaller scale)...and there are crimes that have happened in the best parts of Chicago too. However the examples you do offer are links to excerpts of news casts about an individual incident in the NE Heights - but where's the overall proof for the extreme problem that you seem to allude to in your post? Where are the actual numbers for violent crimes in nicer areas of Albuquerque compared to the numbers for violent crimes in nicer areas of St Louis and Detroit?

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 02-29-2008 at 12:46 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 07:10 PM

382 posts, read 1,227,415 times
Default Crime

ABQjournal | The Albuquerque Journal Online v1.5.3 tab Albuquerque and New Mexico State and Local News, Sports, Weather and Jobs, Cars, Real Estate and Classified Advertising

New feature - arrest map. Scroll to the bottom, and then follow the link to the interactive mao. Daily and 7-day history. Very nice interactive map. Decide for yourself where the crime is.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:45 AM

3 posts, read 7,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
lukeache trolled:

> ... If you dont like Hispanics, ...

If someone don't like any group of people based on race, color,
sex, religion, then they are a bigot in which case, giving
advice after that point is pointless. Why mention it?
This is the typical mindless liberal over simplification. There is nothing wrong with preferring to live in a place where the majority of people are like you, sharing your language, customs, culture and beliefs. I also know that no white person is going to attack me because I'm white. Diversity is a fine up to a point. But no one wants to feel like an outsider in his own home.

Ironically, these are the same reasons that minorities tend to concentrate in neighborhoods in cities. Somehow, this is not seen a being bigotted. Holier than thou liberals like you complain that the same desires in non-minorities constitute being being bigotted. You are complete hypocrites.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
harveyl accuses:

> ... Holier than thou liberals like you ...

I would consider myself more of a facist. For instance, I'm not in favor of seat belt laws or laws restricting people from letting their children ride in the back of pickup trucks. I believe in thinning out the herd.

> You are complete hypocrites.

No. It should be written:

You are *a* complete hypocrite. <<or>>
You(re) kind *are* complete hypocrites. You need to make up your mind.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 AM

361 posts, read 1,092,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
ABQjournal | The Albuquerque Journal Online v1.5.3 tab Albuquerque and New Mexico State and Local News, Sports, Weather and Jobs, Cars, Real Estate and Classified Advertising

New feature - arrest map. Scroll to the bottom, and then follow the link to the interactive mao. Daily and 7-day history. Very nice interactive map. Decide for yourself where the crime is.

Good Map - thanks for that trappedinNM.

By looking at the map it's clearly evident that the majority of the arrests happened on the south side of Albuquerque. On the North side, we can a few sporadic arrests. But this still doesn't prove that it's any worse than any other city in the US.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:35 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

No. It should be written:

You are *a* complete hypocrite. <<or>>
You(re) kind *are* complete hypocrites. You need to make up your mind.
I don't understand what you're trying to say...are you correcting harveyl's grammar? Just wondering, because you have incorrect grammar in your original post and you even have incorrect grammar in your correction.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:26 PM

51 posts, read 200,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casden View Post
Good Map - thanks for that trappedinNM.

By looking at the map it's clearly evident that the majority of the arrests happened on the south side of Albuquerque. On the North side, we can a few sporadic arrests. But this still doesn't prove that it's any worse than any other city in the US.
I agree. I don't think that ABQ is any worse than many other major cities and in fact is probably safer than many. Statistically, it looks worse than many because it includes all parts of the city including the very high crime areas. Just as with any other major city, if you stay out of the really bad areas, the chances of something bad happening to you goes down significantly.

At one time, I thought a lot about the crime in ABQ ( I worked in an area where I saw the direct result of violent crime and I had a very slanted view) and did not want to raise my kids there. After leaving and moving back east, we moved to a very affluent area outside of Philadelphia with great schools and low crime. However, only a few miles west of our quant little town is Camden, NJ which has been ranked the most violent city in the US (and for good reason). If you include the same geographical area here and look at crime stats, it would appear that there is a very high crime rate in this area (IF you lumped all towns together). However, because there are so many small towns in this small area, the crime rate will vary greatly depending on which town you are looking at.
Equate that to ABQ and it's like living in Far NE heights and travelling to the south valley. Big difference geographically in the crime rate. Of course, this usually follows socioeconomic trends. Yes, you will have crime in every part of ABQ but you will have that in any city or town in the US. No one is every truly safe from being victimized in one form or another.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:29 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyl View Post
This is the typical mindless liberal over simplification. There is nothing wrong with preferring to live in a place where the majority of people are like you, sharing your language, customs, culture and beliefs. I also know that no white person is going to attack me because I'm white. Diversity is a fine up to a point. But no one wants to feel like an outsider in his own home.
I absolutely do not understand the above mindset. Does it really make you more comfortable if everybody looks like you? Do you really feel safer? Aren't you bored?

I absolutely don't want to live in a place where the majority of people look like me and share my customs and beliefs. If I had to spend all of my time with carbon copies of myself, I'd be bored out of my mind.

Do you really think no white person is going to attack you because you're white? What if you have the wrong color hair? What if you have the wrong accent? What if you have curly hair vs straight? Long hair vs short?

Old 03-02-2008, 02:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
I completely agree with the basic substance of your post, but your broad-brush slandering of "liberals" makes you sound

Quote:
bigotted.
Which makes the following charge:

Quote:
You are complete hypocrites.
apply to yourself. You made a good point but bringing in your shrill politics spoiled it. Too bad.

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque